Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to replace the 3" rubber hose forbthe heater core on my 91 90 20v I had too remove my power steering lines from the pump to do so now I can't bleed the system I've been trying all night bubbles just keep coming allmy lines are tight shoushould I try a vacum bleeder?? I don't know whatbelse to do

· Registered
1,124 Posts
Try this...

1.)Jack front end of car up so front wheels are off ground and free of obstruction
2.)Pop/prop hood open and start car
3.)with the car running, turn the steering wheel back and forth from lock to lock. Try it slowly a few times then do it rapidly a few times.
4.)Check the fluid level and repeat/fill as necessary

· Administrator
17,169 Posts
Hopefully you didn't ruin the pump then. Try this front of the car up in the air filled with fluid take the belt off the pump and turn the pulley by hand a bunch to prime the pump. Then turn the wheel lock to lock without the car running. Next start the car and keep turning the wheel lock to lock. The system should eventually self bleed itself.

· Registered
2,484 Posts
Start by doing this: nothing! :p

Because of the nature of the fluid and how it circulates, getting air out of a PS system is completely different from a brake system. Brake systems tend to have large bubbles that you push out with a bleeder. With the fluid circulating, the action of the pump tends to break the bubbles in a PS system into smaller and smaller ones, until the fluid is more foam than fluid.

What you need to do is let the car sit for a long time, like overnight, so all the bubbles can rise to the top, and they will mostly end up in the reservoir and take care of themselves. Then check the fluid and add until it's about halfway between "min" and "max". After that, do what Austin said... rotate the pump by hand for maybe 10 turns, and turn the wheel back and forth to the stops a few times (engine not running), and keep checking the fluid and adding if low.

· Registered
802 Posts
Are you sure the hoses resealed? I have seen cars have loose hoses that cause it to draw air into the system, don't want to argue about physics of it but I have seen it happen before. That is the only thing you changed too.

· Registered
1,391 Posts
Try this: pump the brake pedal until it's rock hard 20-30 times, with the car off. Then, with the front end up on stands, do the lock to lock thing a few times and check the fluid.

There could be an obstruction between the pump, rack, and brake bomb.

HTH

· Registered
1 Posts
Try this: pump the brake pedal until it's rock hard 20-30 times, with the car off. Then, with the front end up on stands, do the lock to lock thing a few times and check the fluid. There could be an obstruction between the pump, rack, and brake bomb. HTH
This only applies if u have hydro boost power steering (your high pressure line from pump will be going to your break booster instead of the steering gearbox)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts