1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Look at this.........

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hmmm, what to say. Scary Fast?

How light do you expect the finished product to be?

Also, will it look like an Audi when done, or just a simple aluminum body like a dirt late model for example?

Looks like a fun project!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eventually it will have some sort of aluminum skin,but for now naked.
Figure about 1600lbs dry and around 400 hp.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
does it have some kind of cantilever front suspension for longer travel or something?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not for more travel,but for more adjustment. Ride height is pretty much the same. Paul's main idea was to get rid of the struts and use the AFCO coil-overs. They are compression and rebound adjustable. He designed all of the suspension stuff,and hand built it all. I was over at the shop today working on the turbo tube headers today. We made 5 collectors today,and tack welded them. The plan is to maybe sell the 2 extra ones.

Aaron

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sounds cool. Getting fast time of the day at hillclimbs like mount washington would be a real rush!

I have used www.speedwaymotors.com for tools and race supplies, they are really reasonable for any parts or tools stock car guys would use, wilwood calipers, rotors and hats, etc.
That would be a good place to buy prepainted body panels, noses, roll plastic, etc if you need a source for doing a custom aluminum body.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey,

I wish they still ran Mt Washington. Paul did the hillclimb with his rally car
and did very well. I think the last time they ran he was 4th on the hill.
I'll pass the link on to him......

Thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
That thing is going to be sick sick sick. I dig it :p

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you say tire smoke? Not fast enough I bet hahahaha.
I can't wait till the day it rolls out of the shop. I can't wait to drive it down the road.......I'll take the points!

Aaron

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I'd be scared with that driveshaft in between my legs :eek:

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
haha, man you should see the sprint car guys..they have 650 hp with directdrive and they basically sit on the pumpkin with the driveshaft right though their legs. hee hee hee

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pauls going to weld shaft "hoops" on the frame just incase. Its actually in the rule book for hillclimbs locally I think.

Aaron

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
How'd he come up with the chassis design, as far as tube locations, cut angles, etc? Computer + FEA, or pencil/paper? Frame looks like it is hugely down low, but it also seems like it is lacking some upper bracing for suspension tie-in supports. I'd be curious to see what its torsional rigidity is on paper, and what it ends up being physically.

Very cool though. There's a tube-frame car running around with a 1.8t in it, as well as a semi-tube-frame 914 with a 1.8t in it. Both have similar weights to what this car has IIRC, but with less power and the 4 banger (have I ever mentioned that I really don't like 4cyl engines, except for the old quad cam H4's or 3.0L 16v's Porsche made?).

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pencil and paper is the only design methods used. I'm sure its beefier than needed ,but he made it in his garage so good enough eh? I do know he picked up some good chassis books and researched alot before he laid the
"Keel". Scary huh? How would you have done it being an engineer?
Its nice to get a professional point of view now and again right?
I guess if he keeps it out of the trees it should be fine.

Aaron

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Well, the main thing is how will the upper mounts tranfer their loading, how will they deflect, etc.

Pencil and paper can be just fine as a design tool, I've used it several times to double check what the computer spits out. And sometimes, its easier to just "geek it out" by hand and not even mess with a computer.

From the looks of it, his tube sizing is pretty conservative, and that lower frame section is DEFINATELY conservative from an engineering standpoint. Like I said, I'm curious as to what the upper suspension (shock/spring) mounts look like, and what sort of forces they will have on them.

Got any more pics of those general areas? Like a side view and a front or back view? If he has a few diagonal braces in the fore/aft direction, and bracing laterally, including a "tower brace" and diagonals, it should be ok (meaning it won't break). That isn't saying it won't deflect under load, I'd need more information on the design and tubes. If it does flex, that would create a dynamic camber or toe change, which could be less than ideal.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey,

I'll take more pics when it gets closer to the finish stage. He still plans on
adding more bracing etc etc etc.

Aaron

1 - 20 of 34 Posts