Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, 92 UrS4 AAN....
So I noticed that I need a new head gasket, no way around it and no questions about it. Sunday I started my car and the low coolant alarm went off, bought some coolant and topped it off, it was pretty low. Today I checked the coolant and noticed it's below the low line to just at the full line. I run some errands, leave let it sit and then go out to go to work and I notice coolant leaking from below the car. I trace it up and see the block is wet with coolant.

Now, questions time... How bad is it to run the car like it is now as long as I make sure it doesn't run low? Second, I've never changed a head gasket and I don't know if I should do it myself, how much should a mechanic charge for that (maybe 1 hour labor I'm guessing)?

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Best to find out exactly where the coolant is leaking from before embarking upon a head gasket replacement. Where on the block are you seeing the coolant leaking? I would not run it any farther than to where you are going to work on it. At a moderate pace and not very far. If the leak is external, no white smoke from the exhaust tail pipe,no misfiring or poor running, it will not as likely need a head gasket or be as difficult as a head gasket replacement to repair. If you have never replaced a head gasket and have limited experience working on cars I would suggest a competent mechanic who is familiar with the 5-cylinder turbo engines. If you are going to do the work yourself plan at least two working days to complete this repair. This is not counting machine work that could be required or the additional parts that invariably will not be at hand. The head gasket itself will not the least of your concerns. It is all the "while I'm in there" that will consume time & resources. Where are you located? What do you have for tools? What are the facilities where you will be performing the repair?
Good Luck & keep us informed.
HTH, Chris

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A1QSHIP said:
Best to find out exactly where the coolant is leaking from before embarking upon a head gasket replacement. Where on the block are you seeing the coolant leaking? I would not run it any farther than to where you are going to work on it. At a moderate pace and not very far. If the leak is external, no white smoke from the exhaust tail pipe,no misfiring or poor running, it will not as likely need a head gasket or be as difficult as a head gasket replacement to repair. If you have never replaced a head gasket and have limited experience working on cars I would suggest a competent mechanic who is familiar with the 5-cylinder turbo engines. If you are going to do the work yourself plan at least two working days to complete this repair. This is not counting machine work that could be required or the additional parts that invariably will not be at hand. The head gasket itself will not the least of your concerns. It is all the "while I'm in there" that will consume time & resources. Where are you located? What do you have for tools? What are the facilities where you will be performing the repair?
Good Luck & keep us informed.
HTH, Chris
Thanks for the answer. I have no misfiring or smoke. And the car runs like normal, I drove it to work today at or below 60 on the freeway. When I got here I poped the hood and looked, couldn't see any problems. Also I saw that the coolant wasn't lost from where it was before I started it up on my way here to work. I was thinking that when the engine's hot the expansion (from heat) keeps it from leaking. I'll check the oil and see if it's leaking in about an hour, will have sat for 3 hours at that point so should be cold.
The leaking I noticed is on the block above the oil pan (the leaking was dripping from the oil pan actually). On my NG that's the area about where the coolant hose connected to the block, is it the same as the AAN?
I live in Denver so I was thinking of putting out a call to help to see if anyone in the area can help me.
Thanks again

·
Registered
642 Posts
I would say there is a good chance your head gasket is fine. External head gasket failure is pretty uncommon. If your head gasket is going to fail, it almost always fails between the cylinder bore and a coolant passage. The cylinder is putting hundreds of psi on the gasket whereas coolant is putting about 15. I would say your best bet is a block tester. You can rent them from autozone. It's very easy to use. You let it pull some air from your coolant overflow, and it bubbles through some liquid. It tests for hydrocarbons in the coolant. If the liquid changes color, you have a compression leak. Either head gasket, warped head, or cracked head or block. But I wouldn't be so sure you have a head gasket leak.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
On the AAN & 3b turbocharged 5-cylinder engines there is a coolant hose that runs from the coolant manifold on the intake side of the head, behind the timing belt & then to the turbocharger that is a common leak point. Then there is another coolant hose from the turbo to the block, near the oil filter, where the leak could be coming from. Put a pressure tester on the cooling system & start looking.
Here is a link to a post that should be required reading for any UrS4/6 owner.
http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60547
Check out the links on that page for more information.
The Denver area has many Audi enthusiast that could help point you in the right direction with needed repairs & maintenance.
HTH, Chris

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The block was wet on the intake side (driver's side) towards the front of the block (belts being the front). I had maybe 2 minutes to look at it before I had to leave for work or run the risk of being late to my new job (2nd week) so I really wasn't able to look. I'll try to look at it in a few minutes.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
all kinds of stuff that can leak that is located there, in a 20 year old s-car . look waaaaaaaaaaaaaay closer before assuming it is a head gasket.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Draky said:
The block was wet on the intake side (driver's side) towards the front of the block (belts being the front). I had maybe 2 minutes to look at it before I had to leave for work or run the risk of being late to my new job (2nd week) so I really wasn't able to look. I'll try to look at it in a few minutes.
water pump

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A1QSHIP said:
On the AAN & 3b turbocharged 5-cylinder engines there is a coolant hose that runs from the coolant manifold on the intake side of the head, behind the timing belt & then to the turbocharger that is a common leak point. Then there is another coolant hose from the turbo to the block, near the oil filter, where the leak could be coming from. Put a pressure tester on the cooling system & start looking.
Here is a link to a post that should be required reading for any UrS4/6 owner.
http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60547" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out the links on that page for more information.
The Denver area has many Audi enthusiast that could help point you in the right direction with needed repairs & maintenance.
HTH, Chris
So I just went out there to look and saw the hoses from the 4th picture down that they were talking about (turbo coolant return line and the other hose) and it looks like it's one of those 2 hoses. Anyone have any suggestions about removing the intake manifold so I can get to those tomorrow morning and get them replaced?

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Draky said:
So I noticed that I need a new head gasket, no way around it and no questions about it.
Thanks again guys
glad you looked again. you know with coolant puddled on the ground, one could think that the ground is leaking coolant. :p

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Draky said:
I've never changed a head gasket and I don't know if I should do it myself, how much should a mechanic charge for that (maybe 1 hour labor I'm guessing)?

Thanks again guys[/quote
:eek: oh my no. waaaaaaaaaaay higher unless they charge about $700 an hour, then they may call it an hour job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts