Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be going on a 3100 mile road trip at the end of this month in my 200. :woowoo: For those of you who have btdt, what spare parts should I bring with me? TIA!

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
just did that in my mk2 turbo diesel jetta. I didn't end up needing anything, but i had spare alternator, full size spare + little spare, air comp, tire sealant, radiator stop leak, hoses, clamps, zip ties, alternator belt, fuses, some random wires and a digital multimeter. Also had 2 gallons of water, a gallon and a half of fuel and a gallon of oil. Plus a good set of tools.

·
Registered
289 Posts
assorted hose clamps and a good tool set. deff check if you need any wheel bearings done or brakes before you go. and bring every fluid your car would ever need. you never know.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
You have an old Audi.

Why would you *possibly* think it wouldn't be totally reliable? :woowoo:

That being said.. Doing a good 'look over' in time to fix thing *before* you leave is a good idea!

I like to take a full size spare, and a careful selection of tools (don't want to take the *whole* tool kit with me..!). That, along with a few electical things.. BIt of wire, a few assorted connectors, some crimp conenctors, a test light and a meter.

And a jug of water, maybe a liter of oil, some duct and electical tape, vise grips and big channel locks..

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
another one that i bring is self fusing tape that can be used to patch blown coolant lines. Its pricey, but if it works, its worth it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've done probably 10 2k+mile road trips in the past 12 months, and thankfully only needed a new headlight bulb. With my '91 200 avant

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate all the feedback! Drew, that's amazing that all you needed was a headlight bulb for all those trips! Your 200 avant must be well-sorted. I am taking care of a bunch of maintenance items this weekend and I will bring all of the suggested items. If anyone has any other ideas, bring 'em on!

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Just make sure everything is up to snuff before hand. I didn't need anything when I did 2500+ miles in my UrS4. I only brought my tools, some duct tape, and water/coolant/oil. Then again, I like to take risks ;)

Now when I did 1200 miles (Seattle to Vegas) in my 90, I brought more. Tools, all fluids, spare belts, spare oil filter, electrical kit, floor jack, jack stands, and probably a few more things. And I needed much more (or so I thought until we actually determined the root cause of my problems) on that trip. But, it did go to prove that you can go 800+ miles on an ABH with a stripped head bolt with a failing head gasket pressurizing your crankcase :D My fault though since I only drove the car for 5 days and ~250 miles before going for broke and heading down to the BBQ.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have done many long trips in my Audis, especially my pair of 200 20v's. I bring basic tools, small spares (aux h2o pump, fuel pump, ecu, etc), my Bentleys and my troubleshooting printout from sjmautotechnik, my computer and VAGCOM, extras of every fluid, etc.

I've had to make minor repairs, but I've never been stranded. Just give the car a good going over prior to departure, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Replace the distributor gear with the brass one before the trip. It's 50$ and cheap insurance.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I plan on making an offering to the Audi gods before departure!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Dr. Mike said:
Replace the distributor gear with the brass one before the trip. It's 50$ and cheap insurance.
^^this^^ its such a pain when when it breaks and it brings peace of mind IMO. like he said . insurance.

·
Registered
234 Posts
On one trip, a PS hose started leaking like a sieve. I just kept topping it up.

Another time, further out, got into some hotter climate. rad fan siezed, melted the first stage relay, second stage was stuck on once i pulled it (and burnt my hand, too).
I waited for night, and drove all night home (and into the next day, somewhat). Because it was 100 degrees in the area I was in.. shit.

Oh yeah, blew out the michelin man one time too. Ghetto fix consisting of shopping bags, electrical tape, and haywire reinforcements... got 'er home. :D

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Bring a credit card with at least a couple grand of credit and by the best AAA membership you can get. Throw a bicycle in the back for good measure :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After what you said Mike, I should just stay home! :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts