Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, who all might be interested in a chip that has a more aggressive timing map for the stock mac11? i have a new friend who can write his write his own timing maps for the stock chips.
I', trying to get him to join up on our forum, he's a cool guy and real knowledgeable. i see if i can get him to post on here some details of his chip. he told me he'd be making kits with a chip and eprom socket for ease of changing chips for under $100 DIY. here's a little info i can share with you.
http://www.geocities.com/natman666/History5.htm

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Well hey everyone... i see derracuda mentioned me so i guess i had to join up here and let everyone know the long and short of what i can do with the Mac11.....

first off, i can reprogram the timing maps, both premium and regular to accept any timing map you wish. if you happen to have a good idea of what changes you need in your timing map, i can customize it to your specifications.

the timing map in stock form is programmable all the way to 1.6 bar of boost... after which the mac11's stock timing controller assumes anything above 1.6 bar cannot be seen directly. there are 2 methods around this. one make the last timing value be mapped for your final boost level 1.8 ect... so that when you acheive that boost your timing is appropriate... while being a comprimise, it works very well...

the second option is to scale , or replace the stock map sensor with one that can read higher values easily, and reprogram the mac11's timing maps accodingly.. this is yet again another comprimise as you lose resolution across the whole range of vacuum/boost, but you gain control of timing values at higher boost levels.
this again is not a problem because the mac11 interpolates between positions and the timing map is comprised of a 16x16 matrix for each map ( premium vs regular) which gives us a high resolution still.

the benifits of this vs switching to an aftermarket timing controller is we maintain integrity of stock wiring, we continue to use existing sensors, we do not need to go through the trouble of making a tuned filter circuit for knock sensing control, and the mac11 can be modified to a large extent.

the drawbacks are that we need to know generally what kind of timing map one would need for certain conditions, and it is not real time or laptop programmable... (yet... i am working on a replacement for the eprom that would allow the ability to laptop program the mac11, if not on the fly, atleast turn of car, program, turn on car again)

For those of you who are now running EFI and you didnt cut your mac11's wiring harness to spaghetti, you now have the option of the mac11 running a water injection control. however i am still need to perfect this in a recommended injector size, and proper calibration of the injection map.

anyways, if you have any questions feel free to ask me
nate

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bling bling nate, thanks for joining. the best of the audi groupies live here :wink:. we do have one common thing for thew newbies though, you have to recognize and admit your problem, id goes something like this.....hi, my name is *****, and I have a problem.

once you recognize your problem, then and only then can we help with lots of therapy :D

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Nate,

Just read your webpage.

Some interesting ideas.

I PM'd you.

Steve

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
hi, im nate... and i have a problem... well i have more then 2 problems... errr.... perhaps we could say i have many problems.....?
um here goes...
1. i'm cooler then i appear.
2. see 1.
3. things must have more power and/or go faster when they live belong to me.
4. see 3.
5. too many more to list. :D

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
All coolness aside 8) Why bother with the CIS? Leave that poor horse alone he's been beat bad enough. Why not drop a bit of cash,and get the system that you can tweak all the time. If your driving down the road and you notice
that its leaning out underboost at 3500 rpm ,and 6psi of manifold pressure.
What do you do? Pull over and burn another eprom? call SJM on the cell?
Ah plug your laptop or your keypad programmer and change it. Not to mention how much cleaner the under hood system looks without all that after run cooling pump,and the injector fan etc etc etc (my under hood looks like hell,but Marcs is pretty). Oh yea and the best part you don't need to mount the CIS dist in the trunk with the battery so you can fab a nice tube header :wink: .

xxxooo,
Aaron

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well aaron, in my case, i bought an 034 when they were still fuel only. and nate has developed the chips because he runs MS. i don't have the dough to pop for an all out fuel and ignition, so the chip is better than running stock. so, for now, good enough for me :)

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
iduaobrut said:
All coolness aside Why bother with the CIS? Leave that poor horse alone he's been beat bad enough. Why not drop a bit of cash,and get the system that you can tweak all the time. If your driving down the road and you notice
that its leaning out underboost at 3500 rpm ,and 6psi of manifold pressure.
What do you do? Pull over and burn another eprom? call SJM on the cell?
Well to be fair i didnt mention that i am running an EFI system (MegaSquirt), NOT a CIS system.... BUT since I am using an EFI, rich lean means nothing to me, cause YES i pull out my laptop and tweak the mixture through that... easy as pie.

I am however using the MAC11 as the ignition control system. It even in a stock sense, has quite a bit of power, a very high resolution crank trigger, automatic knock sensing with 4 degrees of leniencey,both premium and regular octane TIMING maps, and is extremely easy for me to modify to use in a perfomance sense.

No, i do not call anyone to tune my car. I do everything myself, and yes i do actually burn a new eprom once in a while, and it can be a pull over thing if i am in a heavy research mode i have a laptop hooked up to an eprom programmer, so the whole process takes um id say less then 30 seconds for me to do.
But i do beleive i mentioned that i am making the system laptop programmable in the future, so tuning the timing will just be a matter of a few keystrokes on the laptop.

The main benifits to me are, 1. ZERO added cost. 2. KNOCK SENSOR capabilities (of the aftermarket units i have seen, few offer this what i deam a necessity on a turbo'd application). 3. Programmablity, its easy to program, i already know how it works, and i can modify it easily to do other operations then just ignition control.

Anyways, to each there own... if you can afford to get an EFI system with ignition control, go for it, by all means it has its advantages too, ease of use, no electronics to modify, already laptop programmable. ect....

for me, i'll stick with the mac11 until I can either make a replacement or decide to purchase one.

Nate

1 - 9 of 9 Posts