Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '00 audi v8 engine I pulled from an A8 I bought for a project, I am wanting to know what all is needed/not needed to make it run(electrically), as if I am just running it before putting it in another car. Instrument cluster, TCM etc. I am also having a hard time figuring out how the fuel system works as I want to hook it up to a fuel cell not the original tank. It looks complicated, I see 4 different lines from the stock one?

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
You don't need much for the 40V V8.. There are a few ecm grounds and a couple ECM +12v that need to be hooked up. I don't think the A6 got the immobilizer until 2001 or 2002 so cluster and keys are not required.

The fuel system is one feed line and one return line, provide pressure to the feed line from the pump and the return line goes back to the tank.

Being a 2000 there is no factory tune to eliminate the auto trans so this is something you many want to consider. The ecm will run the engine but strange things with idle hanging and cel's and a few other annoyances will be present. If you had an 01 you could use a Euro S6 6mt tune. The 00's use ME 7.0 versus the 7.1.1 the 01 and up have.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Scott!
It is going in a custom chassis so building from ground up
I still want to use an auto trans but was hoping for the smaller 2WD one from a passat/a6
since no one really knows about the setup I will see if I can get it to work or not

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
tallon said:
Thanks Scott!
It is going in a custom chassis so building from ground up
I still want to use an auto trans but was hoping for the smaller 2WD one from a passat/a6
since no one really knows about the setup I will see if I can get it to work or not
The 5hp19 won't hold up well to the torque from a V8. I'm also certain that the V8 ecm won't communicate with the 5hp19 tcm but let us know how it works.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am aware. Thankfully the transmissions are really cheap, not that I'd want to replace them all the time but.. I know of one person in the world that has done it and they kind of told me how they did it however I didn't get much from them and I can no longer get in contact with them.

He used the eagle shift box by eagletalontim and he was able to shift the transmission that way I just have to figure out how he was able to set it up because I was then told by others that the 5hp19 has more than 2 shift solenoids :S ...so I'm not sure what 2 he wired the box to.

If this setup doesn't work I'm just going to buy a sc3800 or something even though I would hate to use a small ugly 6 cyl in this particular car with glass louvers looking in. More power or not.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
IIRC the 5hp19 has four solenoids. There is another transmission controller, it's expensive but the manufacturer says that they have made it work with the 5HP19. I don't recall the name, and couldn't find them in a search.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe it's Tcm 2000 by powertraincontrolsolutions
I thought about that too, sent them an email and they replied once but when I told them my application I got no more replies

A-TCM4127 ZF 5HP19 (All) $190.00
well if it gets the job done I'd pay it, but as you said the engine would act funny without the original tcu and trans?

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
tallon said:
I believe it's Tcm 2000 by powertraincontrolsolutions
I thought about that too, sent them an email and they replied once but when I told them my application I got no more replies

A-TCM4127 ZF 5HP19 (All) $190.00
well if it gets the job done I'd pay it, but as you said the engine would act funny without the original tcu and trans?
You also want a Trans controller that implements torque management, which requires an interface to the ECM to reduce throttle at shift points. Transmission torque capability is significantly reduced without torque management.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's the guy's full explanation
I had constant power to each shift solenoid, when I engage each shift gate, it supplies ground and the transmission shift accordingly. So now that I know I can control each shift manually , like a tiptronic. ( the factory tiptronic didnt/wont work because of tranny sensors from the Porsche I assume) I couldn't fit the A8 tranny back there it was to long. So I'm using an after market tiptronic set up, and using the buttons on the factory Porsche steering wheel to control the up and down shift. When slowing down the aftermarket box knows to downshift by itself like an actual favtory car. How's your swap coming along? Another note, A8 swap got some crazy torque , almost got a whiplash on my first drive around.

The company that was building the Shift Box is called "Road Surge", the box is pretty simple.
Maybe someone can make sense out of it :\
I have the roadsurge box and it uses 2 wires not 4 so apparently there is a way to control all solenoids with 2 wires?

Here is his engine/trans, similar trans to mine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.