Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I spent 1/2 hour writing up this nice page and then lot the bloody thing.. so no write up, just pictures and issues.

Original internet ad pictures

Finally in my driveway!

So.. can anyone tell me what is wrong with this picture???

Looks much better with the original Avus wheels.

So... here is a list of what needs to be done ASAP

- Replace windshield
- Hook up Check Engine Light and pull codes and see why full boost is not attainable.
- Needs front snub mount and aux rad support... PO used tie wraps to hold the rad in.. ;)
- Rear brakes, check out pic above.. I shook my head!
- Stock airbox back in
- Tuneup
- Change headlights, RHD versions used, if someone does not care, they will be for sale.
- Complete the fixup of the front bumper to get the grills back on.

Nice to do later on, bumper, hood and front clip repaint.
Big Red brake upgrade, suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nsimps said:
Great looking S2 Avant! My guess on the rear brake is the Emergency cable has gone rouge and disconnected from its perch.
Close, but no cigar... :D

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good eye... the flex line is tie wraped to the swaybar link and then the hard line to the actual swaybar... unbelievable!
This is a B2/B3 caliper so the ebrake is also non op. So much wrong in so little.
I found it in Quebec, originally from Italy. Italy checks out because of the fender side markers, not present on German cars.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not much of an update, car got a new windshield put on and got the parts needed to get it saftied.
I thought of upgrading the brakes to B7 S4 (apparantly bolt on stuff) but decided to stick with stock for now and get it registered and in time for Carlisle.. ;)

Also getting a letter from Audi of Canada confirming that it is a '94 so I can have it registered properly, not as '93 as it was in Quebec.. :frustrated:

Funny enough ElsaWin shows it was manufactured Sept 1993 and sold to dealer in Italy, confirming the previous owner story.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She's not that pretty, PO did a pittiful job painting the hood/bumper.. runs galore... you might want to stand like 10 feet away.. ;)
Maybe not before Carlisle but at some point I'll have our local paint guy do a better job and repair the bumper properly, the grills do not fit now.. :(

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A bit of an update.

Radiator was completely clogged, lucky me I had a spare alloy unit sitting around so it came in handy.

Power steering pump was screaming like a stuck pig, so got a remanufactured one from Worldpac.
Went to install it just to find out the bomb line banjo bolt was the wrong size on the reman unit.
So back in the old pump went... except, now it is no longer making any noise... is this possible??
I'll take it... saves me from having to find another one. fingers crossed it lasts a while longer.

Rear brakes are done, and "big blacks" have been ordered from Sunset Porsche, calipers came on 928 GTS and are identical to the "big reds" in all respects other than color. At $580 including shipping I'll take it and like it.

Here are few pics from a press kit I got from DE.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
littlegreek said:
I am thoroughly jealous. Whats the mileage and what did you pay?
It has 68,000km on the clock, as for price I'll tell you when I pick up that steering wheel... now you know where it will be going.. ;)

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Got a call from insurance lady... finally my car has been approved!
Carlisle here we go!

The weather has been miserable over here, no sign of spring as of yet.
Once it warms up I have to take pics. of few things repaired/gone back to stock.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
After writing a nasty letter to Meloche TD, they finally had the case reviewed and allowed insurance.
If you complain enough and not give up on the first "No", things can happen.
They told me this is the last time they will insure a foreign VIN for me... wait till the 80q avant with tdi shows up.. ;)

I was thinking of going to Shannonville, my friend does track days there with his Nissan and wants me to come out.
Last time I was there I ruined a set of tires... but then again I was 19 and thought I was Schumacher.

I had a windshield from one of the low mile parts cars, so that worked out really well.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So... got the varimap installed... by myself.. woohoo..

Now, can anyone tell me if these solder joints look OK??

Just keep in mind this is extreme close-up.

Just need a bit of a assurance before I button it up again.

Thank you!

And couple of shots from Carlisle, thanks to John for driving it down.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Another issue arose. I was getting only 7-10psi of boost, needless to say it didn't feel as brisk as it should (this is on the stock computer).
Pulled codes and got one for G61 (2142).
Replaced the knock sensor this evening, what a PITA (had to move the P/S pump out of the way).
Anyhoo, took it for a nice drive and still the same. However no codes (4444).
Also have a new N75 valve in there, thought it could have been a problem.
Throttle opens all the way (thought maybe the Full throttle is not triggered), that's not the issue.
No boost leaks that I can see.

Any other reasons it won't build full boost?
Starts at 7psi then raises to 10psi as rpm go up.
I have not checked if the ECU calls for full boost, but the wiring between N75 and ECu is fine.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Few fancy pics

And the big Black upgrade. Huge difference from the stock G60

Still troubleshooting the lack of max boost, ECU gives me 4444 now that I changed #1 knock sensor, I checked every other sensor including MAF for operation... still no go. With a super stiff spring I can get 21 psi so the system is capable of making that pressure... back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Originality has just taken a back seat... wood is out, carbon is in... not to mention the Recaros

They need a good wash, but I could not resist trying them out.

Trying to fix the A/C I broke a nipple on the compressor, the line was seized solid.. doh! Trying to figure out if I can use the R12 compressor in R132 system and swap couple of lines (they are different). It is getting hotter out there.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Turned out to be MFTS, S2 use their signal to limit boost like the 3B cars.
Disabled the feed to the ECU, no more boost issues.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Upgraded the rear brakes.
Who knew that a complete B7 S4 setup bolt on.
This system uses a vented 300mm rotor, so nice balance to the Big Blacks in the front.
Following the S2 forum thread:
http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Everything fits under the 16" Avus, however the e-brake cable spring touches the rim, ever so slightly, so for now no spring, need to figure out a solution as I would like to keep the stock 16" wheels on it.

Also got the front suspension redone with HD Bilsteins and compbrake mounts.
Rear got Sport Bilsteins and full alignment... she's ready for winter duty (limited).

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
A1QSHIP said:
Nice car! Will a spacer on the rear wheels give enough clearance for the e-brake spring?
:thumbsup: Chris
I am going to try that when I swap for winters.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Almost three years now.
Car has seen few trips and couple of winters
The original Lazer Red has faded just like any single stage paint left in the sun
So. A bit of TLC to bring it back to its glory.
I have decided to keep it summer only, since dumping $2k into the A/C system :(
Off to paint it goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I stll have not figured that one out... took the pump out to replace with a rebuild unit just to find out that one of the ports on the rebuilt unit was different diameter, once the pump went back on, it stopped making noise, and trust me, it was no belt making that noise... ;) so not sure what taking it off and putting it back on accomplished but its been quiet since then.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I see primer!
Removed rear glass to make sure its good underneath.
That era Audi hatches have a reputation for corrosion.
All good now

Attachments

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
The seats were option on most B4s. These came from a Later Cabrio hence the full headrests
I also have a set with open headrests from early CQ.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.