Automobiles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Got a call from insurance lady... finally my car has been approved!
Carlisle here we go!

The weather has been miserable over here, no sign of spring as of yet.
Once it warms up I have to take pics. of few things repaired/gone back to stock.

·
Registered
881 Posts
gorgeous ride man...who did you end up going with for insurance?

I am picking my Holset up in about 2 hrs...going to try really hard to have my Avant on the road within 2 weeks...going to try and sneak in a few Shannonville days - would be cool to meet up...

if you haven't replaced the windshield yet - I got it through Apple AutoGlass - 450$ on site installation - great service - same as the B4 V6 so no issues there...

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
After writing a nasty letter to Meloche TD, they finally had the case reviewed and allowed insurance.
If you complain enough and not give up on the first "No", things can happen.
They told me this is the last time they will insure a foreign VIN for me... wait till the 80q avant with tdi shows up.. ;)

I was thinking of going to Shannonville, my friend does track days there with his Nissan and wants me to come out.
Last time I was there I ruined a set of tires... but then again I was 19 and thought I was Schumacher.

I had a windshield from one of the low mile parts cars, so that worked out really well.

·
Registered
290 Posts
nice find Martin

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Just curious, if your insurance company is such a pain to deal with... why not have a broker find you the best rate?

I switched to a brokerage after about 6 years with RBC who wouldn't reduce my premium to reflect age, record and cheaper car (b6a4 --> cq) so I switched and saved a bundle.

Intact is who I'm insured through these days and they're very affordable. They even did agreed value on my black car without an appraisal :)

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
B4 avants are sooooooo f-ing cool, S2 is icing on the cake! Cheesecake that is. :wink: :p

Shame they never came to the US in a time it seems like the smallish wagon would have done well, but maybe the small hatchback ruined everything lol.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So... got the varimap installed... by myself.. woohoo..

Now, can anyone tell me if these solder joints look OK??

Just keep in mind this is extreme close-up.

Just need a bit of a assurance before I button it up again.

Thank you!

And couple of shots from Carlisle, thanks to John for driving it down.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Don't stress the solder job, it looks fine. Just clean up the splatter a little without bothering to touch the current tracks, and/or check continuity between points if you want to be extra sure there's no bridging due to the bit of splatter.

It was nice to meet you at Carlisle, and it isn't very often you see one of these in North America. Thanks for bringing it down!

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Another issue arose. I was getting only 7-10psi of boost, needless to say it didn't feel as brisk as it should (this is on the stock computer).
Pulled codes and got one for G61 (2142).
Replaced the knock sensor this evening, what a PITA (had to move the P/S pump out of the way).
Anyhoo, took it for a nice drive and still the same. However no codes (4444).
Also have a new N75 valve in there, thought it could have been a problem.
Throttle opens all the way (thought maybe the Full throttle is not triggered), that's not the issue.
No boost leaks that I can see.

Any other reasons it won't build full boost?
Starts at 7psi then raises to 10psi as rpm go up.
I have not checked if the ECU calls for full boost, but the wiring between N75 and ECu is fine.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
ralleyquattro said:
Another issue arose. I was getting only 7-10psi of boost, needless to say it didn't feel as brisk as it should (this is on the stock computer).
Pulled codes and got one for G61 (2142).
Replaced the knock sensor this evening, what a PITA (had to move the P/S pump out of the way).
Anyhoo, took it for a nice drive and still the same. However no codes (4444).
Also have a new N75 valve in there, thought it could have been a problem.
Throttle opens all the way (thought maybe the Full throttle is not triggered), that's not the issue.
No boost leaks that I can see.

Any other reasons it won't build full boost?
Starts at 7psi then raises to 10psi as rpm go up.
I have not checked if the ECU calls for full boost, but the wiring between N75 and ECu is fine.
Clogged vanes?

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
This one isn't a diesel, Micah :).

I would check for intake air leaks--boost leaks and leaks pre-turbo, in the inlet boot or breather system.

Sam

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
SeStone said:
This one isn't a diesel, Micah :).

I would check for intake air leaks--boost leaks and leaks pre-turbo, in the inlet boot or breather system.

Sam
Haha! Dope. :oops:

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Clogged CAT?

Here kitty kitty!

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Few fancy pics

And the big Black upgrade. Huge difference from the stock G60

Still troubleshooting the lack of max boost, ECU gives me 4444 now that I changed #1 knock sensor, I checked every other sensor including MAF for operation... still no go. With a super stiff spring I can get 21 psi so the system is capable of making that pressure... back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Originality has just taken a back seat... wood is out, carbon is in... not to mention the Recaros

They need a good wash, but I could not resist trying them out.

Trying to fix the A/C I broke a nipple on the compressor, the line was seized solid.. doh! Trying to figure out if I can use the R12 compressor in R132 system and swap couple of lines (they are different). It is getting hotter out there.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Martin:
I've converted 3 B3s from R12 to R134, and despite the naysayers, they blow cold 40F ish Air.
Its important to change the receiver dryer, orifice tube and associated orings..good luck!

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.