Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone wondered how the hell we're going to hook up this wonderfull little device since we no longer have distributers?

I'll tell you! Thank god for the flexible software. As it turnes out you can program one of the ignition outputs to fire every cycle. Logic would dictate that you could send this strait to the APC for the RPM signal right? Well kinda. I've been :bashtard: my brains out because it just wouln't work. Finally it dawned on me that it probably operated off some kind of flyback voltage, so I threw the old MC coil back in just the way I had it, and it works! I didn't even have to hook up a plug to it. One day when I get bored I'll probably put this coil to use and put a spark plug in the tailpipe to light off any extra fuel that may get dumped :woowoo:

Other things I tried unsuccefully, the tach output, and I actually put a diode on each trigger wire then feed that into the APC, still didn't work. Oh well so much for getting rid of the stock coil, maybe I'll put my sixth ford coil at the back of the engine like it's a six cyl just to throw people for a loop.

And yes, I've gained about three degree's of timing just by being able to tell for sure when the engine is knocking. I can't wait to see what this car puts down on the dyno. It is so damn fast on 18 psi of boost.

Later

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Nice! I was gonna try that for now, won't have that luxery when I will need all 8 coil outputs. Hopefully by then the knock sensing Javad meantioned will be availible in the 034 system itself :)

I think all you may need is a pullup resistor on the line, did you tried that? Gonna wire in my APC tomorrow night when I do the IIc install, I'll see how it goes :).

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Well if I have time to wire it up tomorrow I'll find out :)

Though.... the flame spitting q is very tempting :D

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
audifreakjim said:
Um, why do you need all 8? Is this for the Audi? Should I be asking if you can run the audi V8 wasted spark?
Heh, I'm jumping ahead a couple of 'stages'. The next step is going to be a 3.6l 32v V8. Hopefully picking it up next week sometime, have to hash some stuff out with Semple first.

Going to put some pistons in from a couple of 8v 1.8 vw engines (dime a dozen :)) that'll drop the compression to ~8:1. Then the stock exhaust manifolds will be turned around so the collectors face forward, chopped up and flanges for a pair of turbos welded on there, a couple of 5kt IC's on either side of the radiator (some generic chevy aluminum radiator for ~170 bucks on ebay, there's something to be said for cars being made by the kabillions :D).

All that and a generous amount of boost should give one hell of a kick in the arse :) Gonna be a fun winter project for sure.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Oh yeah, Jim, do you have a .set file I could use to get started with tomorrow? Thanks a ton! 8)

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whoa! I've been pondering something similar, but that's about it. Wow, I really hope you make this happen, can't wait to see it. Here's the latest IIc.set file.

-50 lb injectors
-50 psi fuel rail pressure

I'm running 18 psi boost on it with WI, but my motors had it's head shaved twice. Should get you running at least. For me the hardest part was visualizing how the timing curves mesh with each other. These values will allow the most adjustment. I kept the rpm timing low and made most of the adjustments with the MAP map. The MAT temp map is pretty dead on to. Let me know if you need this in an email. I figure other people can use it here.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Nice work Jim! Cool, so Nate, can you expand on your diode idea?

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
All I'm going to try to do is use a resistor tied into the trigger signal, and a +12v line. The resistor will be roughly the same value as the resistance on the coil itself. This will give the line some positive voltage when the ECU isn't sending a 'ground' control signal to the wire to trigger the coil. With the positive voltage there it ensures that there is a fluctuation in voltage on the line so the APC box can detect the on/off RPM signal.

If I am making any sense anyway. :wtf: :p

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
audifreakjim said:
Whoa! I've been pondering something similar, but that's about it. Wow, I really hope you make this happen, can't wait to see it. Here's the latest IIc.set file.

-50 lb injectors
-50 psi fuel rail pressure

I'm running 18 psi boost on it with WI, but my motors had it's head shaved twice. Should get you running at least. For me the hardest part was visualizing how the timing curves mesh with each other. These values will allow the most adjustment. I kept the rpm timing low and made most of the adjustments with the MAP map. The MAT temp map is pretty dead on to. Let me know if you need this in an email. I figure other people can use it here.
Nice, thanks for the file, but um, why does it look different than what the one I save from the running demo does here? Your file doesn't have the mappable GPO values, and has a bunch of other variables that aren't included in my 'demo' map. Weird, I'll fire up the ECU in a bit and see what the map from that looks like.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Alright just pulled my .set information from my ECU, and it's definately different than yours. You must have an earlier version of the ECU firmware, and/or software. Fortunately your ignition/fuel maps worked just fine, so all is well. Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
hold up a sec,what are you putting the v8 in nate,twin turbo v8 was my idea,you can't do that too,no sir,no way.not til' mine is done that way it looks like you copied me :wink: .ok so mine will be twin turbo 408 smallblock chrysler in a 67 cuda,but it's the same concept. a T/T audi v8 does sound like a fun project,but how sturdy are those engine blocks ?

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
It going in the 90, as for sturdiness, guess I'll find out :p

They share a ton of components with the 16v VW engines, 'cept the block itself is Alu instead of cast iron. I've beed talking with a couple guys around here that have turbocharged their 16vs, and are putting out ~240whp easily w/o any issue, running doubled head gaskets to drop the CR a bit.

Hard telling how the block will take it, I know of one other TT 3.6 v8, but no idea what he is running for boost, or what he did to the engine to prepare it for boost. As far as I know he's just running real mild boost levels with no intercoolers, dunno if he even changed the compression at all. From a statistical standpont the V8 block looks like a prime candidate to turbocharge, piston oil squirters, sodium exh valves, easy to drop the CR, 16v vw turbo manifolds will bolt right up to the heads, already setup for an oil cooler, etc. It's juat a matter of making it all fit ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
geez, that's just it, how is it all going to fit?! :wink:

from what I've seen of a V8 in a 90, it's pretty darn tight to begin with...

instead of stacked gaskets, could you do something else (thick copper?)

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
MasterB said:
instead of stacked gaskets, could you do something else (thick copper?)
newt said:
Going to put some pistons in from a couple of 8v 1.8 vw engines (dime a dozen :)) that'll drop the compression to ~8:1.

·
Registered
95 Posts
oh, so you want me to actally 'read' these posts...? :wink:

sorry, sometimes I just scan...and skip the good stuff...

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Heh, I just barely had time to get the ecu installed in itself on Sat before the races on Sunday :p

I'm gonna try to wire it in tonight if I have time, gotta swap the center driveshaft in a friends 90q first :roll: pesky cars.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts