Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
***Yet another V8 swap***

To anyone interested, I'm finally starting a long awaited project.

I've lurked on this site for awhile reading and drooling :D over the successfull swaps.

This is going to be a long build, hopefully i'll have it running by the summer 2009!!!
(Actually took a bit longer, finally driving it in 2018)

Welcome to my Money PIT!

Stats

1990 Audi Coupe (Black) -owned for a couple years
189,XXX miles on it
suspension overhauled when i bougt it
-Bilsteins and B&G's
-RS2 front sway
-custom 80 rear sway
-all rubber mounts
-some poly stuff
face lift
-European cabrio front bumper
-RS2 lights
-cf hood
interior
-corbeau seats
-custom rear tower bar / harness (i'll post some pics)
-URq steering wheel

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thats a sweet blacked out ride. Are you going 3.6 or 4.2 for this one, stock or turbo. Just asking how deep the money pit will be. :-D

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
panzeravant said:
Thats a sweet blacked out ride. Are you going 3.6 or 4.2 for this one, stock or turbo. Just asking how deep the money pit will be. :-D
THANKS! The donor motor is a 3.6, i'm gonna keep it stock for now.

TO SEE IF I CAN GET IT RUNNING! :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The goal:

Get this v8 in the coupe

Get this v8 to RUN in the coupe

I'd like to use the v8's ecu, although i'm leaning towards an 034 setup!

I'm still trying to understand it all, before I begin - as this is my first swap!

I figure i'm going to learn by doing....BAPTISM BY FIRE!!!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Wow, really nice looking car! Make sure you post a lot of pictures along the way.. and don't be afraid of the boost, it's the only way forward :p

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks q20v! I'll post as many pics as i can... i'm going to start taking it apart soon.

Boost sounds delicious (dreaming)

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Very nice Coupe! If you have any thoughts of boosting or perhaps later swapping for 4.2 I would go with some sort of SEM. It will be a lot easier to wire up and start as well.

One thing though, mounting your belts the way you have is not the safest thing to do. They aren't supposed to be any further than 18" from the back of your seat.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
a_CQ said:
Very nice Coupe! If you have any thoughts of boosting or perhaps later swapping for 4.2 I would go with some sort of SEM. It will be a lot easier to wire up and start as well.

One thing though, mounting your belts the way you have is not the safest thing to do. They aren't supposed to be any further than 18" from the back of your seat.
:stupid: on all points.

Welcome to the V8 club :)

(I give you 2 months before twin turbo's are on the shopping list ;) )

p.s. def go SEM over the stock ECU, lots easier all round if you can afford it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'm on board with Peter and timmmy, going with a stand alone engine management system will be a huge benefit no matter what you decide to put under the hood. I just did my first engine build/turbo install with an 034 IIb and it was VERY straight forward. There is enough information on this forum to help solve any issues you would encounter just by using the Search function. Otherwise, everyone is willing to help as they have all been through the process before.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys!

As for the seat belt setup. The bar is really only a rear strut tower bar... so agreed not the safest.... the belts are temporarily mounted to them (roll em up and lift the rear seats, ta ** a 4 seater w/ an arm rest) ...before i decide if i really need a full roll cage for a few auto-x!

I'm a noob when it comes to SEM. Anyone have any btdt or which ones would work? I'm open to any advice or suggestions?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
sayoda said:
The goal:

Get this v8 in the coupe

Get this v8 to RUN in the coupe

I'd like to use the v8's ecu, although i'm leaning towards an 034 setup!

I'm still trying to understand it all, before I begin - as this is my first swap!

I figure i'm going to learn by doing....BAPTISM BY FIRE!!!
Well at least it sounds like you belong at this forum. The baptism by fire mentality is the hardest roadblock to mentally get past, after that it is just learning, researching and doing. Good luck and nice project.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
where exactly in mass are you located? I'm in rhode islanding building a v8 swap too, and a 5 cylinder turbo. Actually I live in ma but my shop/garage is located in bristol,ri.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
ah I didnt check your location, MA, I work in Burlington MA, live across the border in NH (I couldnt bare the thought of being a Masshole ;) )

Plenty of geekers in the area to help out as you proceed.

With regards to SEM:

Cheap = megasquirt. It will do the job but youll be out in the cold on your own when it comes to hooking it up and tuning pretty much. Not a lto of BTDT on V8 Audis for that SEM.

Middle Ground = VEMS, some support on here for that.

034 EFI = big knowledge base here will help a lot, higher price tag than 1 or 2, but worth it for the hastle free approach IMHO.

Others .... quite a few others out there for more or less $$

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
timmmy said:
ah I didnt check your location, MA, I work in Burlington MA, live across the border in NH (I couldnt bare the thought of being a red and white plate Masshole driver ;) )

Plenty of geekers in the area to help out as you proceed.

With regards to SEM:

Cheap = megasquirt. It will do the job but youll be out in the cold on your own when it comes to hooking it up and tuning pretty much. Not a lto of BTDT on V 78 Audis for that SEM.

Middle Ground = VEMS, some support on here for that.

034 EFI = big knowledge base here will help a lot, higher price tag than 1 or 2, but worth it for the hastle free approach IMHO.

Others .... quite a few others out there for more or less $$

·
Registered
173 Posts
congrats! I'm also in the process of an engine swap on my coupe quattro (3B). First swap and learning as you go is the way to do it! Good luck - I'll be watching this project closely :)

1 - 20 of 184 Posts