Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So one of my fun moments w/ the 4000 at WG was the rear seal on the trans letting go.

TO rectify the issue, I'm going to take the high bias (4:1) center diff rear section from Wiley's old transmission and pop it onto mine. Issue I'm currently running into is getting the rear section of the trans off of Wiley's old trans.

I can get about a 1/16" gap from removing the bolts, but can't get it all the way off. Are there any tricks or something I'm missing?

Any help is MUCH appreciated! Need to get this off and cleaned up so I can get it onto my car and make it useable again.

Thanks all!

·
Administrator
12,586 Posts
Locker or torsen? Don't think you can combine parts from the two. I'd look in the bentley. If it's anything like newer audi transmissions the tail housing has to be pressed off. Why do you need to remove the whole tail housing just to change the diff? Why not just change the seal, I've found an alternative to the $$ factory seal/bearing for less money. Did you unbolt the main shaft bolt it's under a cover @ 12 o'clock on the tail housing then you should be able use a slide hammer threaded into the diff flange to pull the housing off.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, thanks, Austin... That's what I was missing.

I did not remove that bolt, and after looking around a bit, had a feeling I needed to remove that as well (as I found schematics that shows that this threads into the input shaft).

I am swapping torsen for torsen tail ends, so it's a tit for tat trade.

The reason I'm swapping the whole rear section is b/c, I have the 4:1 center diff, so figured I'd just swap it all as one unit. This trans was rebuilt (so rear seal is good and new, etc), but the syncros either went or the linkage was sloppy enough that there was a fair bit of gear grinding going on. Otherwise I'd just swap the entire transmission and be done with it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just a question on seperating the rear housing off the 016 transmissions; I want to pull this off to change the seal behind the tail shaft output cup, and cleanup the sealing between the rear of the transmission houosing which weeps a bit. I've removed the 6x 6mm allen bolts around the top, and can rotate the assembly directly behind the output cup around and around. So it's definately loosened, but of course I suspect the spline on the back of the cup is clipped into the diff and that's why I can't pull it off?

On the front there are sometimes small allen screws in here. I've tried using a slide hammer to yank it off, but no luck.

Just want to ask from experience .... Is there anything else I'm missing, or yank harder is the word?

Just looking for some experience before I go and break it =.=

Edit: Also The torsen 016 diff, is there any concern of the pins that hold the torsen gears in place moving and gernading the housing? If I'm here would it make sense to locktight them, etc?

TIA

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just a follow up answer:

For anyone trying to remove the rear 'tail' section by the output cup, there are 6x6mm allen, just remove these, and twist and pull up. If its sticking then using a puller or by way of a jig, pull straight out. Housing is sealed with an O ring, evidently mine is missing!

FWIW the center diff (torsen) will also come out, not sure if this is the same for the 016 locker, haven't tried.

Jonathan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts