Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, been doing the usual browsing on craigslist and came across a V8 quattro.... for $500! Called the owner, car has 197K miles and is an auto, has a bad front cv axle (don't know how bad those are to replace?), the front windows are also inoperative and he doesn't know when the T-belt was last serviced. The power steering system also has a leak, which he said tied into the brakes? :wtf: Apparently he has only had the car for a year so I'm guessing he doesn't know much about the cars history either. Thing is I've really only worked on I5 Audis and don't know much about the V8's so I'd really appreciate some input from people that know these cars better than myself. From what I hear they are solid engines and pretty reliable... but I really don't know what to expect, and how much I'd be sinking into this time and $ wise to get it driveable. Would really love to save it though if I can. Appreciate any and all input!:cheers:
PS, there's also a V8Q parts car fs on cg nearby for $200.

·
Registered
471 Posts
V8s are tons of fun, but are typically very leaky when ill maintained (power steering pump & brake bomb, automatic transmission seals & lines, engine oil seals & pans). The automatic transmission is sometimes a headache (limp-mode, only goes into certain gears, or in-op) which is why the rare 5-speeds are so coveted.

The blocks are usually fine, but the engines often eat oil from old valve seals/stems.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So how difficult are the brake bombs to replace? I'm thinking I would need to pull the motor since the powersteering leak sounds pretty bad, would probably want to check the rack and replace all the lines. Good news is that he did say the transmission and brake rotors/calipers were in good shape.

·
Registered
471 Posts
There's like a 90% chance the leak is from the pump itself. The pump and the bomb are accessible with just the front removed, and both can be rebuilt.

Dave Kase can re-pressurize the accumulator: https://sites.google.com/site/audicqturbo/audibomb

Seal kits for the power steering pump are available: http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-power-steering-pump-seal-kit-026198049b
But, you'll need a hydraulic press and a strong impact gun to repair it. I have these tools and can rebuild them for a fee.

I see the cars you're referring to on the Spokane Craigslist (though I wish that posting included pictures). I was considering talking to the guy with the wrecked car about the interior, but it's too far from Seattle :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool! Was worried the bomb would be located somewhere horrible up in the chassis or something. Thanks for the links, that ps rebuild is pretty cheap. I do have access to an impact gun but no hydraulic press unfortunately. I gotta go look up the cost of a cv kit and the timing belt as well. It would be really nice if I could just get a small loan from the local credit union and incorporate the cost of the repairs, not sure if any of them would do that. But if the car looks good it might be worth a shot to try.:)

Yeah, definitely sucks the're aren't any pics. When I talked with him he seemed to think it was in decent condition, though who knows what that may actually mean. :roll: I think I'm going to go have a look at it next week if he still has it fs Lol. That's funny I didn't even notice your sig said Seattle till now, yeah driving across central WA sucks a$$. I was almost going to call him just to see if it might be a manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts