Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
I love the way you fit all of that in your garage. Makes me wonder
where the new white 90 quattro and blue ur-q will go? Maybe hang
one from the ceiling or stack them on their sides 8)

Good work! I have to say time spent flanging parts doesn't feel much
like progress, but I have to imagine the bigger picture.... :frustrated:

cheers, Mike

·
Registered
189 Posts
A lot of effort has gone in to the molds, we could pull more parts than Audi made sports without damaging them. So 6 sets, as is the current demand before the August 2012 cut off should be nae bother.

The layup is: sprayed gel coat, one layer tissue glass to minimize fabric pattern showing through, then carbon twill. The resin to fabric ratio is very good IMO because the guy doing the work has many years experience, he is retiring in August. We are not going for absolute lightness, but something that will hold paint well without crazing and cracking when being used on the street. We have a half kit build using Kevlar but it is harder to work with than carbon, from the layup through the trimming process. Martin still wants a hybrid carbon/Kevlar kit built and it's on his nickel :)

The plan is to store the molds come August and any additional interest in parts will be very difficult to support. I guess that is when the requests will come flooding in :) after Craig, Martin, George and Andre's cars are done.

·
Registered
189 Posts
> so what happens to the molds after storage? are they your or the mold-mans???
> i assume they will be used again and not stored forever... as that would be a bit silly....
> (geuss i better get some loot together for some carbon bits like real quick!)

The molds are large and will be moved in to storage. We are not ruling out making more kits as we own the molds,
but from a logistical and cost point of view, it would be a huge PITA. So if anyone is interested, now would be the
right time to let us know.

·
Registered
189 Posts
...and let me guess you found the electrical tape for free In an ur-q someone gave you to get it
Out of their driveway because they needed the space. :wink:

Measure twice, or get Martin to make the cut :lol:

Martin Pajak the man that would make Dave Sutton's mechanics feel nervous during a pit stop. :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
Some more progress, bottom and top of bonnet parts completed and bonded.

Second base part

detail of the latch bolts, before the partal was washed off

detail of bonnet pins (which float for adjustment) and latch (which will need to be drilled for catch)

another shot of the second base

Bonnet has turned out way stiffer than I (or the wife) could have imagined.

I need to get my finger out on the front grills for the bonnet and the bumper........

Cheers, Mike

·
Registered
189 Posts
None of the edges have been trimmed yet so the sides in the first picture will be as thin as a normal
Bonnet and it will lose some stiffness as a result. We are trying to balance materials for being light,
still stiff and not getting print through. Along with having enough workable material than can be prepped
For paint, and not warp with the first signs of heat (from either side). Even choosing the bonding agent for
the two halfs was discussed in depth to get a low exotherm bonding agent....

The next project is to start work on a Canadian Robin Reliant with carbon/Kevlar body work and an alloy
I5 engine.

Cheers, Del Boy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts