Automobiles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 348 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thank you.. if it wasn't for this project I would never sell that car... took me loooong time to find it, not to mention the drive.. but I guess this project will be "more" fun. :p

Afterall I still have the 80q 2-door to give me the pre '85 4kq fix.

I can't believe I only have three cars in my sig line... last time that happened I was a poor student in high school.. :-D

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
i feel like bumping the thread, even though I've done very little on the car itself, Mike, Craig and myself have been busy copying the body kit and both Mike and Craig have started to work on theri own cars alrady, in fact Craig is way ahead of me at this point, his car is shortened already!

Exciting times.

·
Registered
12,840 Posts
ralleyquattro said:
nismo said:
I want to build an SQ-bodied full roll cage sooo bad. Very nice to see!

Eric
Yeah, you and Craig both.. got to be something wrong with you guys.. :p
At least you didn't mention VR6 in that sentence.. :D
vr6 tubed sq??!!?!?

·
Registered
12,840 Posts
ralleyquattro said:
no tube frame for me, I like the stock look. I5 for me only. ..
yea a urq/sq really needs an i5, and it will be beautiful for sure

Not that there is antying wrong with VR6
phew then youll still like my project

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
Ah... i remember the days when i got to ride around in that car. The fellow you bought it from in Marietta, Ga, was my best friend.

His father was an alchoholic and was in a car wreck with that car. I remember what happened. I was in the car.

My buddy and i were late for Marching band practice and we were flying down the streets. My friends dad was an avid driver and an amazing one at that. Anyways, we crossed an intersection and another driver ran a red light, smashing into the right side of the car.
My best friends dad was slurring his words and the cop felt like he was under the influence and gave him a breathalyzer and a ride to jail and the other guy a ticket.

that car was sitting at a place called VW city owned by a friend of mine as well. such a pity that car was wrecked. The engine block has the number 11 in the serial number IIRC. its actually a 1982 Audi Quattro Prototype, as there are 15 of them in the world. i think 4 of them are in the museum.

Martin Scored BIG on this car.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hi, Yep, that's where I bought it, the VW shop put it up on ebay and I was the highest bidder.
The car was well maintained, had lots of new mechanical components (OEM) but, both of the rear fender were fixed poorly from previous "whatevers" and were rusting from inside out quite badly. Shame because the reast of the car including the floor was in perfect condition.
The engine was WX 000 011, but the car was no prototype, just a normal run of the mill early '82. Keep in mind in Europe Ur-q were around since late 1980, so 1982 was nothing special as far as the overall production was concerned. Also the Swiss market used the WX engine so possibly this was the first North American Ur-q made, but that's as far as the "special" goes. Not sure where you got the info, but if it was from the previous owner, he was probably boasting a bit too much.
Engine ended up with Louis-Alain in Montreal.

Cheers

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
yeah, like i said, my friends dad was an alchoholic, lol. i was young and just went with it. I am glad that car has gotten placed with a good home.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Your friend bought an Ur-q, in fact he bought few parts from his dads car for it. Lost touch with him, do you know if he still has it? His name was William Palmer.

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
Yes, his name I william. He actually sold the gobbi. He was tight on cash and was trying to pay for school. He's also trying to finance his wedding. It was just too expensivr to care for and pay for school. So he drives his 82 Polo.

·
Registered
537 Posts
ralleyquattro said:
Hi, Yep, that's where I bought it, the VW shop put it up on ebay and I was the highest bidder.
The car was well maintained, had lots of new mechanical components (OEM) but, both of the rear fender were fixed poorly from previous "whatevers" and were rusting from inside out quite badly. Shame because the reast of the car including the floor was in perfect condition.
The engine was WX 000 011, but the car was no prototype, just a normal run of the mill early '82. Keep in mind in Europe Ur-q were around since late 1980, so 1982 was nothing special as far as the overall production was concerned. Also the Swiss market used the WX engine so possibly this was the first North American Ur-q made, but that's as far as the "special" goes. Not sure where you got the info, but if it was from the previous owner, he was probably boasting a bit too much.
Engine ended up with Louis-Alain in Montreal.

Cheers
Martin,
What is the VIN on that car? My VIN is CA900652 and the engine in my '82 was WX 000 013. Chris Semple bought the WX from me in '97.

Steve

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
seiche said:
Martin,
What is the VIN on that car? My VIN is CA900652 and the engine in my '82 was WX 000 013. Chris Semple bought the WX from me in '97.

Steve
Hi Steve,

VIN is
CA900572

Anyone know of earlier US chassis #?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I just checked my registry and have 5 cars with earlier numbers

CA900087
CA900445
CA900519
CA900535
CA900562

four of them I have contact info, the 519 I have no idea who it belongs to now, but it was for sale and hence my knowlege of the VIN.

Wonder what engine numbers all of those had?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Time to revive this thread.

Now that the '84 and the TDI are done, time to move ahead with the once abandoned project.

If you remember, this is how the kit arrived home.. :)

Wow.. long time ago I could actually see the walls and the floor of my basement.

This is the damage we had to deal with in the beginning.

Cut out corner

And the chunk of an Ur on the floor.

New piece tacked on.

Out in the sun to check out some gaps etc.

Princess Auto has these great engine stands, that just happen to fit Audi subframe and allow me to roll the car around without wheels.. ;)

But, we were not happy with the repair, the other side had issues as well.. so decision was made to use my old 4000 as a donor for the entire front clip. I have not decided exactly how far it will extend, however feeling is that it will go the entire distance till the 320mm cut line. It will make a stronger base. So.. forward 3 years to last weekend and here are the results.

With help of Mr Cook and my brother in law we cut the 4kq and slid it into the garage.

So more cleaning and cutting and deskinning of the roof etc. etc...
Not to mention decluttering the other side.. :eek:

Hopefully the next update is not going to be 3 years from now!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Good to see you finally got off your ass on this one Martin...just in time for winter :D

21 - 40 of 348 Posts