Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simply put... "wow"

The engine has never ever run so smooth, nor have I ever seen/heard any 10v audi idle so, umm, smooth. After some tweaking to the VR sensor during the race today it is pulling hard right through to redline. None of the "some good pulls, some not as good pulls" I would get with the dizzy setup. This is just rock solid and there as soon as your on the happy pedal. mmmm.

Snapped a couple pics for viewing pleasure as well, I'll be working on a website tomorrow to detail what has to be done differently when setting up the IIc compared to the IIb.

This is a stock Audi VR sensor mouted in a alu bracket I bodged together

Here is a little better shot of the crank mounted trigger wheel

And here is my quick little 2 min dizzy delete (was out of time and had to fill the hole with something other than the paper towels that were there during testing :p)

Oh yeah, and the coilpacks

There will be plenty more pictures and diagrams and detailed setup stuff on the webpage, and I'll give a link here once completed.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Lookin' good, nice work Nate! :woowoo:

Amazing what a little direct fire ignition wil do for an 'ol 10v motor, eh?!

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Absolutely, I wasn't expecting the transformation I got, good stuff!

I also forgot to thank Jim for sending me his maps, I am still essentially running the exact same maps, but leaned out the fueling a smidge. These forums have been put to good use already :)

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
Nice Nate, your timing wheel looks great. Have you used a timing light and watched how stable the timing is? It's awesome. Hey, more good news, I passed emissions yesterday with no cat! This is a nice system for sure. I'm also going to keep the Ford coils, they are just a better fit for my app than the M3 coils I have.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took the i5 for one last good run today, probably going to pull it out next week. But the IIc system was working like a champ for

^^ that many miles today to and from the VT get together :p

Too bad I blew apart two intake hoses, figures everything works fine alllll year, then as soon as I'm headed to an event with more audi nerds it becomes a true audi and buggers itself. Though it might have had something to do with the uber loooong on boost times (climbing through the white mtns), followed by lots of full throttle-closed throttle action (winding down the other side) :D

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
very impressed with your setup.... my car isn't even running on CIS yet and i already have EFI envy. Mabye ill have to do something about it once i get some funds...... can't wait to see the V8 swap.

Jared

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yeah, forgot to give you the big ole public THANKS for getting that IC hose at the meet..... even if it did explode in under 200 feet....

at least it exploded spectacularly, and with a good *bang!* :D

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
No problem... hopefully next time i can help you with something that acctuly works... haha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts