Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,does anybody know if old or worn front control arm bushings (type 85) will cause a slight shimmy in the steering wheel. it only happens if i'm cruising along,never under acceleration or braking (if I'm cruising along and slightly step on the gas or let off it will stop) ,I'm gonna have my wheels checked but i was just curious if anybody knew if this was a common problem,thanks 8)

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Could be any number of things, I've had bad control arm bushings do that as well as tie rod stuff.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my P/S tie rod is new and the D/S looks to be in good condition.I did grab the wheel itself and try to turn it while lokking through the wheel spokes at the bushings and i can see a bit of play in the rear two bushings.another thing I was thinking of,while I was at a wrecking yard there was a 90 coupe quattro that the whole front end has been cut off and there is a steering stabilizer with bracket, was thinkin' of fitting it to my car,no that it should fix a shimmy that shouldn't be there in the first place,but as an added deterent to the unwanted jimmy arms,if you know what i mean :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts