Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if a stoptech kit that is for an A4 B5 fit an S4 with brackets from like apikol or something? Are the rotors the same S4>A4? If the only difference is the brackets I can have some made/make some or buy the Apikol or 034 brackets, etc.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Answer me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

·
Registered
135 Posts
As far as B5 A4 and B5 S4 the calipers are different between the two kits, the piston sizing is a bit different (36/40 vs 38/42). The hats have a different part # as well but I'm not sure what the physical difference is. HTH

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmmm thanks for the info. Reason I asked is I saw a guy selling a similar kit to mine(for B5 A4 IIRC) on ebay but he had both S4 & A4 adapters so I wasn't sure if you could swap them or not. Doesn't sound like it but I'll try it this weekend and see where the adapter sits.

Do you know if that's the only difference in calipers is the piston sizes? I wonder if the hat size is a different offset, and if so, how much it is.

·
Registered
135 Posts
StopTech lists two different caliper bracket part#'s between the two kits which may mean that the rotor hat offsets are different. To my knowledge the calipers only vary in piston sizes (comparing the same type of caliper, ST-40 to ST-40 etc). Unfortunately I can't access schematics for these components to compare dimensions.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Someone biyeevthese damnit

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yesterday I was trying to free up the stock front brakes on my S4.

So while I was at it, I wanted to see how these stoptechs lined up. Looks like the rotors will go on if the splash shield was removed. I put them on then tightened them down with a lug bolt and spacer nut to be sure it was tight. I could turn the rotor but it was hitting the shield. So anyway the rotors seem to work.

Then came the calipers. Obviously the brackets have different spacing so they won't work but might give an idea of offset.

With the caliper centered on the rotor and the bracket(still bolted to the calipers) as even as possible in betwen the mount ears on the hub knuckle.

The pads were hanging over the outside of the rotors about 1/2", but the holes from bracket to mount holes was approx 3/8". Neither is exact because I couldn't measure it. Just an 'eyeball' guess. It was noticeably different tho.

The other plane/offset difference was only 3/16" -that part I was able to measure. So with washers and the S4 brackets the brakes might be made able to fit an S4. lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.