Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In addition to my 1984 4000 S turbo quattro I bought a 1985 5000 S Avant in very good condition. It should become my daily driver...just for fun. For reaching my daily driver specs it has a quite cool option...the TDI conversion.
Engine is based on an Audi 80 B4 TDI - 1Z - 66kW/90HP...and its equipped with another Bosch fuel pump (P/N: 0460424124). It runs very good. Have to go on a dyno in near future. These days I´m into re-installing US-lights at the golden beauty. Taillights are installed...sidemarkers arrived from California. :)
Some impressions...

·
Registered
643 Posts
wow! such an interesting interior! its like a mix of a early 4K, early 5K and then the newer 200's. with mechanically HVAC... and brown!

·
Registered
309 Posts
now that looks like a great car to drive.

I have a 2.8 VW LT pump (p/n# 460424138) that I will be putting on an ALH tdi.

do you have any recommendations for injectors to use with this pump?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wow, that's a great looking car! Man, that's so well preserved! I love the conversion. What kind of mileage do you get out of it?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your comments.
I bought this car in early January and right now i´m into preparing to get it on the streets.

I have to look for the current injector-setup.

Mileage is an important issue. I just could say what I expect. My A6 Avant with 5spd AFN went up to 45mpg...my Passat with 6spd AFN goes up to 43mpg. Both driven in mixed german traffic. My expectation for the 5000 S Avant TDI is at least reaching this value...even more mileage due to the lighter car. The very good mileage depends also on some effects at my cars. I always use 225/40R18 and 7.5-8x18 rims and I´m going on the Autobahn up to 100mph. So there is always an possible improvement. We will see and I will measure it for comparing it to my other cars.
Best way for reaching good milage is...small tires and low constant Speed. We did a journey with 3h/constantly 60mph and the Passat went up to 53mpg. Thanks to the 6spd-DQS-gearbox :)

Regarding the interior. The former owner also converted the interior with some Facelift stuff but remaining at the old seats. i LOVE them :) He re-installed the A/C...Manual A/C and the Switches work. Got to refill the System and look for leakages.

Thanks to Christian for recording the Video at pickin´ up the golden Lady :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some additional pics of the golden engine bay...

Intercooler should be from a Passat/A4/A6-installation...turbocharger seems to be the original one.
I´ll arrange some instruments like boost gauge and manifold air temperature, etc and then I´ll decide for possible improvement with some other parts.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
really cool!

I like the bigger "wing" on the hatch.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I think the larger wing only came on the '86 model in the states. I happened upon one with one of my parts cars and now it's on '87. They can't be all too common as you don't seem them too often.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Sweet T44! Going to need to remove that "Fuel Injection" badge though ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Mhh...yes. But if I translate it in the right way its not that wrong...due to the meaning that "fuel" means many kind of ...fuel :)
Maybe i´ll find another "diesel" badge and combine it with the "injection". We´ll see.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Lots of extra room in that engine bay when you loose a cylinder! Time for a dual compound turbo system and 400 ft/lbs of torque!

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
stwquattro said:

Mhh...yes. But if I translate it in the right way its not that wrong...due to the meaning that "fuel" means many kind of ...fuel :)
Maybe i´ll find another "diesel" badge and combine it with the "injection". We´ll see.
Yup, even more-so in the the boating world, fuel on a filler = diesel and Gas/GASOLINE is gas. It is also common to refer to diesel as "fuel oil".

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I´ve had some free time at the weekend and got a bit more into rear axle issues. During buying the 5000 I recognized the new suspension at the rear axle. With a bit more investigation I found out that the shocks are adjustable in height. I chose the lowest setup... ;-)
Does anybody know those spacers above the springs? Are they original or some aftermarket stuff?

Getting closer to my daily driver status at the 5000 I installed one of the Typ43- and one of the Zender wheels. I´ll use the Zenders when I don´t need them at the 4000. :) They have custom made flat caps...with my own STW-logo. Should be fine and good looking...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good morning...it´s 8.45am in Germany ;)
In my opinion there were/are quite much 4-lug 5000 in the US. The smaller engines/non-turbo´s had 4-lug suspension.

I have nearly all parts ready in stock to convert to 5-lug...but I love the Zenders and want to see them at the Avant. AND...the previous owner installed a pretty new brake system. After using it I might swap to 5-lug inkluding a new set of wheels. :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Folks.

Did some work at the 5000.
  • Finished wiring harnesses for the turn indicator/sidemarker Setup[/*]
  • modified front suspension [/*]
  • got it streetlegal with the current suspension/wheel/engine setup[/*]

I installed the grey springs - 40mm Lowtec - due to ist light engine its quite difficult to get her down on the streets. Removed the lower spring mount and re-welded it in a 30mm lower position. Therefore a 40+30mm lowering is reached.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here we go...

The golden Lady is ready for the streets. Everything was approved and currently I use her as my daily Driver.
There are several small tasks to do...checking front Suspension for getting her closer to the ground. I re-installed the lower spring plate 30mm lower and she just came approx. 20mm. Maybe the very good gas pressured shocks prohibit the lowering.
In Addition I got another set of 7.5x17 ET35 wheels with 205/40R17. Rims are made by Rial/Postert.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts