Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had this idea for a while, which all stems from the freaken trunk being so small on the type 89's. Right now I have these two huge 12" subs that take up at least half of my trunk, plus my tool box, battery, and spare tire. Ugh. So here's my solution

1. Move the exhaust to the side right in front of the rear tire. This may require a bit larger muffler, but I can do full 3" mandrel for real cheap this way, and I don't have to go over the rear diff.

2. Use the area where the muffler used to be for 3, maybe 4 10" Image Dynamics ID10 v.3 subs, or something similar that can perform well in a .5 cu. ft. space. Basically I'd cut out the bottom of the trunk between the frame rails and fill the space where the exhaust used to be with a custom box made out of fiberglass and MDF. Probably a removable MDF box that sits in a fiberglass shell to seal the trunk up.

3. If there's still space under the car, add a bracket for the spare tire, and mount it truck style. I don't think there's room for this, but it would make room to mount a new sub amp where the tire used to be 8) Or I could make a sub box for where the tire used to be. Hmm.

Thoughts, suggestions? Should I just get one of NOS bottle subs and call it a day? :slap:

I don't have any engine plans for this summer, so my mind has wandered into "Wiz" mode. :wink:

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
audifreakjim said:
So I've had this idea for a while, which all stems from the freaken trunk being so small on the type 89's. Right now I have these two huge 12" subs that take up at least half of my trunk, plus my tool box, battery, and spare tire. Ugh. So here's my solution

1. Move the exhaust to the side right in front of the rear tire. This may require a bit larger muffler, but I can do full 3" mandrel for real cheap this way, and I don't have to go over the rear diff.

2. Use the area where the muffler used to be for 3, maybe 4 10" Image Dynamics ID10 v.3 subs, or something similar that can perform well in a .5 cu. ft. space. Basically I'd cut out the bottom of the trunk between the frame rails and fill the space where the exhaust used to be with a custom box made out of fiberglass and MDF. Probably a removable MDF box that sits in a fiberglass shell to seal the trunk up.

3. If there's still space under the car, add a bracket for the spare tire, and mount it truck style. I don't think there's room for this, but it would make room to mount a new sub amp where the tire used to be 8) Or I could make a sub box for where the tire used to be. Hmm.

Thoughts, suggestions? Should I just get one of NOS bottle subs and call it a day? :slap:

I don't have any engine plans for this summer, so my mind has wandered into "Wiz" mode. :wink:
:slap:
omg...rice bucket.Do what i would do.I dont know if you have removed your spare wheel to place your battery there but i would place the battery in a box under the back seat.
remove all the carpetting from the trunk so that i have an idea of my work area.I know the fuel tank frigs up everything thats why i would be careful.But meeh whatever.Amp could always go under passenger seat or in the middle of the trunk and 2 10"s on each side of the amp.Get a fibre glass mold on that new stuff "magoo".DOnt know if you get it in US,but guys back home use it.Takes half the drying time and the finsih is superb.
You could always get a B4 quattro :wink:
and do what i did : 15" in spare wheel compartment (sunken) with a piece of plexi glass covering the sub and carpet to finsih of it pretty.I used mahogany wood as i find wood is more flexible to me than fibre glass,placed foam on the bottom to muffle sound and the finish was superb.
Hey.....Bill Gates was a dreamer. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yea, I forgot about the battery under the seat thing. That could help quite a bit, but may get in the way of my exhaust :wtf: The exhaust may a bit ricer, but of everything on the car, it's the one thing that I really don't like right now. Even though it's 3", the guy did a crappy job press bending it, and I think he sneaked a few pieces of 2.5" in there to get over the rear diff. Having dealt with a few of the major flow issues already on the system, I 've seen noticable gains after each fix.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
you know how when your making the fibre glass mold?Well you can get this sort of fibre mesh and brush the magoo on it.The material contours to where you want to use it.Staple it in place etc etc and then apply the stufff and it hardens.Then just use a band saw or whatever and cut it to suit.Stuff is great.
going to find a link for you...we get it locally from Sikkens or AA.Dont know what you all use in US.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
audifreakjim said:
Sweet, I've seen that stuff on TV before. Thanks! Damnit, I wish it wasn't snowing outside, I feel like tearing stuff apart.
ye it is great stuff.
Just start with measurements
Get a box into place(i would use 2 halves).Mirror image it because the whole box would not be able to go as one piece into the trunk.Dont forget the air ports( one on each side)I wish i could explain myself property.I know what to do...just dont know how to get the message across as i dont know the names of the stuff your going to use.
You could use a blow dryer.This way you can control the heat.
Winter is the best time unless your using the Audi as a daily driver.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
i had an idea that i never got the chance to employ. make sub boxes under the rear seat. and for the exhaust, i am going to make a new P/S diff mount and notch the rear of the subframe so the pipe can run underneath ( i figure it's just as low as anywhere else under the car, so no worries, besides, i've seen poorly fitted factory exhaust systems hang lower then mine :eek: ), that eliminates the " 3" pipe over axle crap".

anyhoo, just heat wrap the exhaust pipe that goes by the box on the P/S real nice like and then you still have nearly all your trunk space, plus a complimentary seat shaker for the rear passengers. ( i rarely have them so i don't care, and that's why i'm putting a roll cage in :D )

or, still do your side exit exhaust, get your self a fuel cell and mount that in the trunk floor nice and low, then build a nice box to sit behind the rear seat.

or just mount the subs in the roof.......the ultimate statement of bass...lol, if you mount them in the front the roof with the cones out, your car will look like it has ears :D

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
one other thing i forgot about, i think bluapunkt has a new line of low clearance subs coming out, like less then 3" in depth. but i don't really know much about bluapunkt's performance and such. just a thought.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
derracuda said:
one other thing i forgot about, i think bluapunkt has a new line of low clearance subs coming out, like less then 3" in depth. but i don't really know much about bluapunkt's performance and such. just a thought.
my bazooka was an inch tall.Pushed 1000 Watts to a 15" 1500WATT Sub.
If i had the option at the time to get a Pioneer to push it i wouild have gone Pionner.The 4 inch upfront is pioneer.The Dvd deck is pioneer and every other deck i have installed(other being sony XPLOD) for clients have been Pioneer.Blaupunkt has lost its quality when they stopped making in Germany and started with Malaysia.All my Pioneer products must be made in USA or Japan or else i dont buy them.
There is always the guy who will say a deck is a deck.Doesnt matter where its made.Well my decks take alot of beatings,bumpy roads....ill get the occasional client who installs dirty cd's into his/her deck and the high quality ones are usually the ones made in USA or Japan.I will let North Korea slide as they seem to be up and rising these days.Only thing that is still standard is the rear speakers(with the built in amp).Love these speakers to death.(Nippon makes them)

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pioneer Premier stuff is nice, no Blaupunkt crap for me. I'm not into super high end stuff, just decent sounding, I don't need huge spl's, my hearing's already shot.

Here's the stuff I was thinking of
http://www.hirevtuners.com/site/preshow ... 8&SegID=98

Available at

http://www.selectproducts.com/frames.html

The fuel cell is a good idea at first, but then I loose my factory gauge, gas light, and have to come up with a new filler system, plus a decent size tank is about $200 :eek:

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
audifreakjim said:
Pioneer Premier stuff is nice, no Blaupunkt crap for me. I'm not into super high end stuff, just decent sounding, I don't need huge spl's, my hearing's already shot.

Here's the stuff I was thinking of
http://www.hirevtuners.com/site/preshow ... 8&SegID=98

Available at

http://www.selectproducts.com/frames.html

The fuel cell is a good idea at first, but then I loose my factory gauge, gas light, and have to come up with a new filler system, plus a decent size tank is about $200 :eek:
nice nice. :eek:
that the stuff i am talking about.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
:lol: oh man that is the most rediculous thing i've ever seen

·
Registered
804 Posts
Can you just throw the spare in the corner of your garage and replace it with one of those annoying-for-the-tire-guy cans of spray goop sealer? The reason I ask is that I wonder if your spare even clears your brakes.

That, along with a fuel cell and relocated battery should make the trunk almost as big as the glove compartment in my 4kq (the biggest storage space in the car)

Cheers,
Brady

·
Registered
804 Posts
Can you just throw the spare in the corner of your garage and replace it with one of those annoying-for-the-tire-guy cans of spray goop sealer? The reason I ask is that I wonder if your spare even clears your brakes.

That, along with a fuel cell and relocated battery should make the trunk almost as big as the glove compartment in my 4kq (the biggest storage space in the car)

Cheers,
Brady

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, I've briefly looked under the car today, obviously room where the old resonator used to be under the pass side rear seat for the battery, but that's also where I'd like to put a muffler.

Has anyone put one on the drivers side by the fuel pump? If I do this, the battery will be an Optima, and the case out of my new favorite fiberglass from above so I can probably mount it at a funky angle if need be. Normally I'd just get my ass out there and start cutting till it fits, but it's to cold, and I'm actually trying to plan this a little :oops:

Oh yea, here it's been done in a CQ
http://images.cardomain.com/member_imag ... 4_full.jpg

Not sure if it's the same as my car underneath.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
lol...hey jim, don't feel bad about not going out in the cold to start making a mess, i avoid those situations too.
besides, you got a ski rack anyway, right? :wink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts