Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
here is my '80 Quattro
I got it as a derelict in 2001, had to drag it from the guy's driveway with the flatbed winch as all four brakes were seized solid as well as the clutch, it would only idle as the kjetronic plunger also was seized and about all the rest was bad on the car, the fuel tank was rusted out, the electric circuit was shot and as I found out later, the gearbox was also damaged
this car has been stolen at least six times (that I know of) and the first bill in the file was a total rebuild with new block and new turbo at 100kkm so it had probably been seriously schrappneled ! also both ends of the body have been rebuild at least two times, it is definitely a survivor
anyway, since then, I've been slowly bringing it back to life, even though I had a slight lost of wilness for it these last two years, it will shine again one day !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
time for an update ! it's only been about two years...
since then I started on the bodywork as the car was not drivable anymore, it was simply falling apart, both sills totally rotted out, the driver side floor was not connected to the sill anymore and the seat cross support was resting in thin air, the base of the b pillars looked liked the car was going to break in two halves and when a door was slammed shut, rust flakes would fall off from the rocker
I found a provider for sill/rockers blanks wich happened to be cheap and of excellent quality, then I stocked a bunch of electrogalvanized sheetmetal, got myself an inverter mig and fired up the angle grinder
last year I made the passenger side and I think I managed to do it more or less as it should be, all rusted out metal changed and it is solid and straight, roughly 5/10cm or 2/4" in all directions from the floorboard side edges had to be changed on all panels, also the roots of the a and b pillars
this summer I started the driver side and it was way more damaged, good thing I started with the passenger side otherwise I think I may have been overwhelmed by the extent of repair to be done ! So progress was slower and it ended not well, first I caught a nasty flu (in august !) that took me out for two weeks...then I cracked my spine and that took a month and a half to heal so now the beast is tarped for winter.
however I already put seventy pieces of metal in it (I didn't believe my count at first !), I'm just a bit pissed not to have finished this side but it's not too bad considering all the shit I went thru this year !
after that I will still have the trunk floor to patch up as there is two large holes in it, repair the hatch hinges panel and prepare the spare hatch I had for years, then it will go on finishing touches like rebuilding the engine
so it should be done one day ! maybe. hopefully before 2020 !

·
Registered
79 Posts
good work brother.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i have a very good friend who lives in paris over there. im watching this post. good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
it's time for another update !

so, despite the rain then the heat, the pissed up neighbors, the cost of gaz bottles, the rust, the burns all over my arms, the bits of metal in my eyes, some more rust and rain again...I almost finished the driver side. Almost ! but as it started to freeze up here, I could only throw the towel...yes, I failed, did not finish but I got real close. I could have done much more but ok I have been somewhat lazy and lacked motivation but also I ran into some problems that took a lot of time to figure out.
it's not that bad in the end, I think I got it mostly right. it was a lot harder than the other side for sure. I had to slice the lower part of the sill blank and add an 1/2" strip all the length as the floorboard was not exactly right, also had to pull out the rear wheelwell as it was quite pushed in. I also rebuilt the lower part of the front fender, the rear fender rocker, rear wheel housing and a big hole over the fuse box, also a couple of holes in the floor, ripped all the filthy insulation from the firewall

I bought some wheels, they are early style 200-5T (5000t), quite rare...and they still have the eighties tires on ! they will be my winter/temporary wheels that will serve while I redo the three parts PLS (for the second time...) also I got some ebay indian made quad lights, the old ones were cracked and dirty.

so I guess I will be back at it next year...what's left ? finish this side, treat both sills with hot wax, POR15 and stoneguard the underside, the big holes in the boot floor, the trunk door hinge/cross member, a dozen "little paint bubbles" (which are always rusty holes through the metal)...and I must be forgetting some ! but well, hopefully one day it will be done... by then the market will have probably totally collapsed so I may not be tempted to cash out and replace it with an S4 Avant ?! only (a long) time will tell.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no I bought them, they were made on a CNC brake and they are EZ sheet metal
they were just the blanks, not a finished part, I had to make the ends but they were correct shape/size and cheap, about 200 bills for the two shipped if I remember right
it's not as good as stock parts for sure but they are just fine for the level of finish that I seek
about 10 years ago I saw a pair of NOS on Ebuy but passed on them...I really should have picked them up !

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Who made the sills? Custom part?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@ Afterthought :
thanks man, I have to admit there were moments where I have to ask myself what the hell did I get into and how can I ever pull this out but now I feel better even if I'm not totally in the clear yet !
looks like you got yourself quite a project too ! but it seems it's a good base, at least it doesn't look rusted

@ OOOOGT :
you mean custom auto craft ? no, it's not him. I am not sure if the guy who made these still does some, I believe it was a one time batch but I could always ask him ! maybe he's signed up here, I don't know...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
time for your yearly update, fellows ! and this time it is good...yeah... it is DONE !

well, ok, nearly done. but it's back on the road, street legal and driving ! woohoo !
this year I've done a ton of work, I finished the driver side, including rebuilt the fender which was a lot worse than the other side and needed a good bunch of patching, then the front wheelwell splash panel, then moved the car (on its own power, started right up !) and set its rear high up on stands.
removed the bumper and worked up all the little rust spots, and there were a lot ! I made 50 parts this year on a total of about 150. Both quarter panels bottom corners were rotted, also all the back fascia was a lot damaged and rusted, one corner was rusted all the way up to the taillight as the bumper has been pushed in a long time ago, this broke all the seam and let rust in, that also was more damaged than anticipated. Also there were the two enormous holes in the boot floor and they were not easy to recreate. they have a real deep embossed shape, they are double walled to create a beam with reinforcement bends and also the tow hook and all the details, it took a lot of time. Also I rebuilt all the rear valance panel, the boot floor to rear fascia corner all the width of the trunk.
Spent some time on the exhaust too, I made new hangers for the muffler has I always hated the stupid stock thing. there's this forty pounds muffler levering all its weight on the line and all the support it has is two of those tiny idiotic rubber rings that were already weak for a golf exhaust, really not the part for that.
so I made some bullet proof things with big silent blocks in compression as is correct for rubber mounts, and made the brackets bolt on with adjustable height so the muffler can be installed easily and leveled correctly. no more sagging exhaust !
also worked a bit on the engine when I could not make noise, cleaned it up, reinstalled the blow off valve better, shortened the oil cooler lines, installed the silicone hoses kits and that was a pain in the dick my friends. I damned the name of 034 many times during this install, it was one job from hell. To install the stock hoses was already shitty but with the added difficulty of the additional piping, the tough hoses, the endless clamps...never again.
also the coolant hoses was another shitshow, nothing did fit correctly. I have to say that was a very old kit, this kits had been on the shelf for many years, I don't know how they are made now but this was all wrong. I still have the rubber hose to the overflow tank cause the one I got was clearly for another setup.
Finally splashed some epoxy and schutz under the trunk, painted the interior floor, made the exterior "50 shades of grey primer" over the temporary red self etching on all the body patches so it is mostly monochrome.
Then I put it back together enough to be drivable but without anything not needed. So there is no carpet nor panels, no glovebox, really minimalist.
When I plugged the battery back, I found something was wrong... there were no more permanent feed. Hazards, brakes, dome, clock...nothing. It took quite some time to figure out but in fact the cut was inside the fuse pannel ! Finally I swapped it for the one from my first scirocco and that fixed it. That is weird...I am still waiting on the thing's autopsy report but this was a new one. Welding current is the only suspect so far. Or idiocy. Or both.
Also, no clutch command anymore, it went to the floor like sprrrrt. Tried the backup parts, well they have been on the shelf a little too long and it would not bleed out ! so got all new parts this time and finally got it to work, better than ever I must say. in the end, rebuilt cylinders made from two or three bad ones are not so good.
Did I mention the whole fuse panel and clutch episodes being not fun ? It was cold and wet and I wanted to kill a german engineer, hook him to a trebuchet or something.
Anyway, got past this, finished to install the little things left and right, like the new India made headlights which I found out are NOT good, they are flat ones... I did not even notice this when I received them ! so they don't look very good but they light up alright. Also cleaned up the headlights looms, installed some ceramics bulb connectors.
when I had everything electric working, I adjusted the injection and then went straight to legal tech check and it passed right away.
So there it is, four years of metal work later, it is back ! this year have been tough but I think I mostly made it. Now there is one spot left which is the trunk hinges cross member, one hinge is completely rot but it will require to remove the window to repair so it will be next summer, then it will be onto tons of bondo dust everywhere, some more seam sealer, epoxy, schutz and cavity wax then paint ! and then it will be really DONE.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Man, can't believe this is the first time I've seen this build.

Hats off to you, sir. Way to stick with it.

I see metric gauges, are you in Canada? There's a gentleman in Ontario who did as thorough of a body/rust restoration on his Urq, username 1wheelpeel. Here's his build thread, well worth the read: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33867

What are your plans for power, if any?

Also, I can all but guarantee you'll have more traffic at the other site, the project pad dot com... most of the posters from here are there now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
hey thanks man, actually I am from France, near Paris
for the engine, if it ever comes to this, I would first have to refresh it a bit, it has only 120kkm but it took a lot of abuse, that car made many rodeos.
then I would try to re-create a period correct build, something like what Hoenester, Lemahnn or Abt made in the days, it would look mostly stock and always be Kjetronic
thanks for watching !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts