Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have any of you guys played around with this? are there maybe a VW couterpart that would work and are lighter? I'd be interested if there is since i'm gonna replace mine here with the head rebuild.

cheers
jeff

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Yes, and do we in fact have a real confirmed part #? I'd love to get a hold of 20 of these.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Ok, so the "lightweight lifter" is possibly the V6 application?

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
do the 20v's use the same lifter as the 10v? just curious.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Javad, that is what I am thinking as Audi lightened up other parts of the valve train (lighter upper retainer, single spring, etc).

Derek, 10v and 20v both use the 309AD lifter/follower.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Cool, let us know what you find out, I wouldn't mind ordering one of each too to do a little research, lemme know if you need me to.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya eric, me too for comparing the two. What's the "afc" code out of? year make and model? I'll grab one and compare if you give me that info. I'm needing to get moving on this as my car is down and i need to get it back together.

thanks
jeff

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
The AFC is in the '95 90/90q and A4 12v (I think the Type4A A6 too?). We have one taken apart in our garage being rebuilt for Rusty's car ('95 90q Sport)...That's one reason why I started looking at the 7mm valve stem idea, as its heads are "just" an NG/NF head w/two combustion chambers lopped off.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Cool, so you wanna do some weighing of lifters?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
and not to be insulting eric as i know you know your $hit but are we sure they fit? i don't wanna buy 10 and then be sitting there :frustrated: :frustrated:

can't wait to hear! 8)

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok sounds good.

I did some digging and found something interesting.....on the fishy they list 1 option for lifters in the AFC engines regardless if it's the 2.6 or 2.8. When you go to parts websites, like europeanautomotive, pmc, partsconnection, etc...they list two different lifters depending on the chassis. Even for an engine as new as 1995 where they only offered the v6. One of the lifters is the same as what the fishy says and the other is the same as we have in our I-5's. I'm not sure what this means though. Probably the same....?

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
No, the 309AD is only used on the AAH (the 10v/20v lifter), which is the early 2.8 12v and has 8mm valve stems, dual springs, etc.

AFC is a 2.8 12v, and has its own lifters which I suspect are the lightened lifters. The 2.6 is the ACZ or ABC code, european only. I don't know much about them.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
i got an idea. titanium solid lifters. made to accept the factory shim pucks.....eh, sounds good, yes, no :?

do the hydraulic lfters come apart? i'm guessing that the lifter itself is a cartridge unit that sits in a steel body. maybe the body could be made of titanium and the lifter cartridge installed in that.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
derracuda said:
i got an idea. titanium solid lifters. made to accept the factory shim pucks.....eh, sounds good, yes, no :?

do the hydraulic lfters come apart? i'm guessing that the lifter itself is a cartridge unit that sits in a steel body. maybe the body could be made of titanium and the lifter cartridge installed in that.
The problem with the shims, is that with very high lift cams, and high RPM, the shims tend to get thrown out of the lifter, and usually destroy the head. The better way to go about it, is to use Alfa lifters with the tiny shims on top of the valve stem. Eurospec sells the Alfa lifters, or a copy of them, for an assload of money, over 30 bucks each IIRC. Last I checked, the same part was about 5 bucks from an Alfa supplier, or 30 cents from a junkyard.
These are incredibly light. Much lighter than the shim and bucket system VW used, so light that I wouldn't imagine any gain could be had by making them out of titanium.
Getting into solid lifters, and any of this lightweight stuff, should only be for a race car. What is the point on a street car? Nobody is using any cams that make power past 7500 RPM, so what is the point in being able to go higher than that?!
Mike
'88 VW "R22"

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
hey, whats IIRC and IMO or IME(whatever it is) mean. i haven't caught up on all the lingo. thanks,Derek

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
If I Recall Correctly
In My Opinion
In My Experiance

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
sweet, thanks nate
:)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts