Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's a good performance street tire that won't wear out the first week :wink: i was thinking falken azenis, but i don't think they are made in a 17, at least where i've looked. i also have looked at yokahama parada spec II's or the avs es100, and pirelli p-zero neros.

any thoughts guys?

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
My favourite topic:
I have owned every possible tyres,noone goes through more tyres than me(turbo terrorist :D )
here is my find on tyres:

Falken Azenis : had them on my Peugeot 405 GTi.Side walls cracked.Got 2 replacements because were still under warranty.Pumped that air to 32 psi(what they recommended).Lastest a bit longer then the tyres started cracking up again.

Toyo Proxes TS-1: had these on a Toyota Starlet with a 4AGE.Grip like a mother!Best tyres i ever bought for the buck.Made in Japan never looked so pretty on a tyre.

Bridgeston S03 : Expensive tyre for nothing.Toyo's out handled these.....other than that not a bad tyre.

Michelin Pilot Sport : OMG,best tyre i ever bought.Barbados has roundabouts,no flyovers and these roundabouts are fairly slippery.I use to take the roundabouts at 100km/h and the never lost control of the car.They are the most expensive tyres (3 times more than the Proxes) but the money was worth it.Had them now 2 years and they still look new.
Grip in the dry is insane!especially under heavy braking.

Pirelli P-Zero Nero's
Cons?what cons?had these on the UR-Q :eek:
These tyres are slightly cheaper than the Pilots but they do the same thing in the dry as the Pilots.The wet is where the Pilots excell over all tyres.....

Continental's Sport : These are on my grand mothers Passat (turbo Tita javad :wink: ) Not bad,heard there expensive! :eek:
buit there not bad...

Kumho Escatsa : piece of shit tyre...as well as Yokohama garbage

These are my findings.Oh ye...almost forgot,it does matter where the tyre is made.

Poor Countries for Tyres:
Taiwan,China,Spain,Brazil,Honk Kong

good Countries for Tyres:
USA,UK,Japan

Best Countries for Tyres:
France,Germany ,Italy

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey Cuda,

I've been running the Khumo ecsta's on my 4kq for 2 yrs with really good results. Sorry Wizza. For the money yo can't beat the ecsta 712.
Sure Pirelli's are great,and I've owned them before,but they wear like a pencil erasure.

my opinion

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
iduaobrut said:
Hey Cuda,

I've been running the Khumo ecsta's on my 4kq for 2 yrs with really good results. Sorry Wizza. For the money yo can't beat the ecsta 712.
Sure Pirelli's are great,and I've owned them before,but they wear like a pencil erasure.

my opinion
each person is entitled to there opinion.Barbados is 27 degrees all year round.Night time is alot cooler but i am just speaking from experience.
I guess if you just want a tyre to mess around in then those cheap tyres are your best bet ,but for something performance...well see above

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
For the money I think the Azenis are a hell of a good cross between a track and street tire. I haven't run them yet on my own car, so giving a rundown of wet/dry/cold/hot characteristics taint happenin. Just that last year almost everyone that got new rubber in our local club were either going to dedicated track compounds or the Azenis.

Silly me tried to be different and give the Parada's a shot, won't make that mistake again, these aren't holding up well at all, and dont stick to boot. I dunno why Wizza's had problems with Azenis and cracks, never heard anything like that from the locals.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've run Azenis on the track and they are very good, especially consdiering the price.

I couldn't thell the difference between the Azenis and the A032R except in the wallet.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey cool guys, thanks for the input. i can get the p-zero neros for about $80 a tire, so for the money i think i might try those for the summer.

i've driven a 90 jetta(stock) with michilen pilot mxx3's on the front, and man, those tires are like glue. i've driven lots of stock jettas and that blew me away. only problem is that it had 205/50/15.........$180, ouch.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
derracuda said:
hey cool guys, thanks for the input. i can get the p-zero neros for about $80 a tire, so for the money i think i might try those for the summer.

i've driven a 90 jetta(stock) with michilen pilot mxx3's on the front, and man, those tires are like glue. i've driven lots of stock jettas and that blew me away. only problem is that it had 205/50/15.........$180, ouch.
215/45ZR17 set me back $319US a piece :eek:
had them FEdex's to barbados, was so excited when i had found them at what i thought was a good price.They retail in barbados for over $700US a piece :tard:

umm Jim i use Armour All Tyre Foam every weekend.Just to give it a shine when i roll into the clubs :D

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah yeah, armoral is junk. it's got alcohol in it and dries stuff out. i've seen it over and over again. no wonder your tires cracked. used eagle one, that stuff's pretty good. or get your hands on some of the stuff that dealers use, that stuff's also pretty good.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
derracuda said:
yeah yeah, armoral is junk. it's got alcohol in it and dries stuff out. i've seen it over and over again. no wonder your tires cracked. used eagle one, that stuff's pretty good. or get your hands on some of the stuff that dealers use, that stuff's also pretty good.
so why the Toyo's,Pilots and Pirelli's didnt crack....

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, obviously there's a technical reason that it cracked, and i'm not at liberty to share that top secret tire compound info with you :D

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Sumitomo HTRZii's worked well in the dry, and worked very well in the wet. However, I did not like them for auto-x'ing. They got greasy fast. Kumho Ecsta V700 (DOT-R's) never got greasy that I could fell, never changed characteristics. The Victoracer will be my next set of DOT-R's. Not sure what the next street tire will be. Probably something with a M+S rating.

Trying to figure out how someone couldn't tell the difference between an A032R and an Azenis??? I know people don't like the A032 over the older A008's, but I've never heard them regarded as worse than a full street tire...

·
Registered
355 Posts
In between the A032's and Azenis I used a set of BFG Comp TA g-force something or others. The BFG's were definitely the best tire out of the 3. Sticky as all heck and very predictable at the limit. The A032's had the weakest sidewall of all of them, both from ride feel and from the effort required to mount the tires. While the A032's probably had a little more "stickum" than the Azenis, they wore very very very fast and just all'round seemed blah, especially when you factor in cost.

After driving the Azenis you'll say, "I can't believe a $70 tire handles that well" The A032R's were, "There are better tires out there for the money"

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
Yeah Jim,
The Falken Azenis is an awesome tire for dual purpose use, definately the tire that will be going on my car in the summertime. It can not be beat for the price. Grassroots Motorsports did a comparo a few years ago with the Azenis, BFG G-Force and a few other Non-R compound tires, and for about 1/2 the money, the Azenis did very well. On the other hand, the R compound tires were 2-3 seconds faster than the non-R tires, but aren't streetable, and wear out very fast. The Azenis are trecherous in puddles, (my friend understeered right off the auto-x course in a big puddle once) but so are the bald tires I'm used to wet pavement is fine, though, just standing water that causes problems. Only downside is the weight. They have super stiff sidewalls, which makes them pretty heavy (20lbs in a 195 60 14) but I've got enough power to deal with that
Ok Mike I'm moving to this thread on tires.

When you guys say proxies, you're talking about the T1S right? Those look like they they's be a little better in the rain than the Azenis. Hmm.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts