Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, does anybody have any experience,thoughts,criticizism on titanium valve retainers for my 10v and if they could present any problems? I know a guy who can make me some me some for a good price (i think) and i think they would be more durable than aluminum, and obviously lighter than steel.

next up is inconnel valves. javad told me they run $30-40 a valve and they can stand up to extreme heat. where can i get such pieces of coolness?

oh yeah, where can i get heavy duty valve springs and what kinda price are they?

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
for heavy duty valve springs...would Autotech do?
i got a set from them for my head along wiht the cam and i remebered that the 10V is just an extended 8V
so maybe you can check them for everything.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Ya, I just picked up a set of Autotech valves, highly recommended, and they have 20% off everything through the 31st. Titanium retainers would be nice, basically lighter and stronger than steel, but hardly "needed", Autotech sells them for about $14 each so they're very pricey, especially for a 20v.

Lemme know if your guy can make some for a good price however, I'd be interested as well.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey javad, how much did the valves cost you? and were they for 10v or 20v?( just so there's no confusion
and on the retainers i think the guy wanted $75 for a set of ten. I asked if he was interested in making multiple sets for us 10vers, but he said he wasn't interested in producing them, I don't know why. but, i'f i get a few of you guys interested, i might be able to get him to make a couple of sets for us.
also, on the auto tech valvesprings, do they sell them in sets of ten? i was looking on their website and they don't show that options.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, sounds good. I am working on saving some dough for a complete rebuild on my extra 4kq head. I already started a little porting on it, mostly around the valve guides and the floor of the port, more than that and i gotta do the manifold. speaking of which, why does somebody make a simple IM for the ten valve that has a throttle body on the front and larger runners?

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Ya, AT will sell you whatever you need, they're a little gun shy of Audi's, I've had to lie to them before about the application, but on the springs they've sold enough of them, they're ok with it.

Definitely interested in 20 retainers for $75 per 10.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ha, ok you guys are gonna hate me, but i figure i better not get your hopes too high. I went to try and find this guys email and...............well, I can't find it,but, he said that he was going to email me when they were ready(about mid jan.) so, If i don't hear back from him then i guess that kinda sucks for us, but that's life sometimes ( I'll be dissaointed,so don't worry :wink: )

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Well, I am pretty sure I know who you are getting your Ti retainers from. Did you contact the person first through an Ebay account/sale for Ti retainers for the 12v? If so, the guy is one of my roommates...He is using the bits I removed from my MC-1 to pattern the retainers.

Also, if anyone is interested, I am seriously considering having stainless valves made, at least intakes (40mm dia, 8mm stem). Not sure what I want to do with the exhaust valves yet, leave them stock, go with stainless, or get inconels, or something else. I'll likely be sending the company an email inquiring about cost in the next week or so, and which material is better for the 10vt.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Eric,

If you go ahead with the stainless intake valves LMK...

BTW, I still got to get around and get that extra MC ring set from you.

Steve

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cuatrokoop said:
Well, I am pretty sure I know who you are getting your Ti retainers from. Did you contact the person first through an Ebay account/sale for Ti retainers for the 12v? If so, the guy is one of my roommates...He is using the bits I removed from my MC-1 to pattern the retainers.
is his name rusty? if so that the guy i talked to.I did contact him through ebay,yes. i think i remember him saying that he was making another set for someone else,I'm assuming you now. if you already have them in, do you notice any difference? also, would you know how long until they're ready?

on the valves, how much for the 40mm intakes? i might be interested in them at the right price.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Derracuda: Yeah, Rusty is one of my roommates. The other roommate had a '97 A4tq, which was totalled by a Z71. I don't have the engine up and running yet, have a lot of extra work to do on the car. His 12v is still in pieces as well.

Steve: I still have two sets of rings boxed up, just let me know when you need them...

If anyone wants inconel or stainless intake OR exhaust valves, let me know. I'll be getting hold of the company shortly to double check on pricing on both types (group purchase maybe?) and turn around time. I'll probably be buying a new NF 40mm intake valve next week after I talk with the machine shop to make sure they can fit the larger valves in the MC head (should just need new seats cut, right?).

We can probably scare up some more Ti for retainers, I'll have to check with Rusty first.

I just wonder how hard it would be to make my own stainless valves on the CNC lathe....Hmm....Maybe one of my 7A heads will be getting stainless valves and Ti retainers. Probably the ported head that needs rebuilt anyway.

Oh, also, my other 7A head (bone stock, nothing wrong with it, 105k mi or so on it) is up for grabs.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how much for the 7a head ?

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Cuattrokoop,
did you say that you would have to round up some Ti? I may be able to supply a little bit of Titaninum. My machinist does has some pretty big contracts with Airplaines(mainly lockheed) but has titanium that has no paperwork, that may be perfect that i may be able to have or at worse case senario, buy super cheap. Ive even played around with the though of hollowed Ti valves on the CNC lathe. I'll check and see how much we have sittin around tomarrow if you are interested.

Boy this forum is awsome. THis talk would never go down on Audiworld or the Q list. you would prob get bogged down by someone saying.....

"Whats a retainer?" :frustrated:

I suppose you have to learn sometime.

Cheers,
Hank

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey jim, you mean to say that you run the stock valves ! i thought you had the big valves.

the 35mm exhaust valves come in the NG motor, along with the 40mm intakes.
hey, wiz. the valves do fit. they come the 1.8 vw motors, which happen to run the same valves and have the same combustion chamber (i'm pretty sure). javad had this set up on his 10v.

do the inconel valves com in 35mm? what about inconel seats? javad told me that they're only needed in the exhaust, so stainless would suffice for the intake.
about making the intakes, how much cheaper can they be made then just buying them already?

Ti valves might be fun though :p

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I do know that the 35mm exhaust valve will fit with the 40mm intakes whether or not they came factory on the vw's I may be wrong on that. javad did say that running the 35/40 combo on a turbo engine kinda makes the exhaust seat a bit thin for durability, but if that can made out of inconel then maybe it's feasable.
by the way, what is inconel, is it an alloy of some sort ?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts