Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks now that the car is running and it seems that I have a little more of time to devote to it I'm going to start the tune process.

I welded the bung and installed the O2 sensor.

First remember that my engine is NA so the need for fuel is less than you monster turbo guys.

I put the scaler to 12.5, then 12, then 11 and now in 10 and I'm still getting "RICH" on the current Lambda, but the air/fuel gauge on the panel screen shows mostly on the center.

What would be a suggestion for the process?

The response on the throttle is great with no hesitations.

TIA,

Carlos.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Is the meter moving around at all? You may have an open signal to the meter if not. Mine'll read full rich I believe if there is not a proper connection to the 02 sensor.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to check the wiring but it seems to be working fine with variable reads. Like when you turn it on it taks a while (heating) to start showing reads.

Later,

Carlos.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Mine does the same (slow crawl to full rich) whether it's plugged into the sensor or not.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Carlos, for an NA motor, I'd tune for about .95 under WOT, or there abouts, you can also set the idle adjustment to 0 MS and fine tune idle a/f with the matrix. Also, you probably don't need the TPS mapping, just put all 0's in there too (this is really helpful for heavily cammed NA motors with little to no manifold vacuum, for example the 1.8t motor I posted earlier about).

Glad to hear the car is running better! :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I'll try these combinations.

BTW, I'm going to add a wideband O2 sensor, collect data and cross it with the log file for a more detail view. That should be interesting.

Later,

Carlos.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Yes, WB is the way to go, you'll realize quickly how inaccurate NB sensor really are.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've got a single wire in my KH engine and I am putting in a Stage Ib. Will a wideband work with Ib? Is there any reason I wouldn't want to use one? The single-wire sensor is just acting as a plug until I get the engine nearer to running.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
For any WB sensor out there you will need the proper control unit for it. Some WB units have a 0-1v NB conversion (the WB signal is 0-5v) on them that can be used with the 034 systems, but the 034 systems don't have the circuitry built in to power the wideband units.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Yes, Nate is right, the 034 unit won't drive a WB sensor, but most WB controllers have a converted 0-1v output which will work marvelously with the 034 O2 input.

At least go with a 3 or 4-wire NB O2, the 1-wire is just about as bad as O2 accuracy gets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts