Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Ok I finally got my 4k to idle so now I'm ready to fine tune. First a bit of back ground.....I'm running the original 034 fuel only system with the stock 4kq
ignition(for now). I do plan on using the CISIII knock system when I get some extra time to wire it up. Ok the car idles fine but stumbles and hick-ups
until WOT. The scaler is at 17 ,and the offset is at 3. It also starts hard when its cold ( threshold is 35c). Can you guys give me some tips? I've found that I forgot all the little tuning tricks that I learned the last time around. My brain seems to be failing me these days....old age I guess? Thanks in advance!

Aaron

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Your spitting and popping, is it hapening under moderately fast throttle movements?

If so you'll want to run up your accel enrichment.
For now,
set the sensitivity to ~60
accel rate to ~7-10
the min accel pw to ~.3
max accel enrichment PW to ~1.5-2

Next, make sure your TPS isn't affecting the mixture too much off idle. For example, you really only need/want to use the TPS based mixture up until ~2k. After that you want all 0's in the TPS % mix fields. The TPS values you can start off with about 1 in the first feild, scaled up to like 6-8 at the WOT point.

The hard starting; there are a couple of things you can check, usually it's just lack of fuel, give it like 10 pulses on a cold start, 7ms length. Then if it's still got issues, run up the CLT sensor enrichment, and run up the map values at the very low RPM/MAP points a bit, it's hard to get 'too much' fuel when the engine is stone cold.

Those are some of the quickies for now that may do the trick. Also, have you logged the data to ensure you are getting a steady RPM signal? I assume you are because of the WOT goodness, but doesn't hurt to check.

Hope that helps a lil!

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
btw all those numbers are from memory, so ymmv! :D

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
The scaler is at 17 ,and the offset is at 3. It also starts hard when its cold ( threshold is 35c). Can you guys give me some tips?
Whoa, that sounds pretty rich unless you're running tiny injectors. What size are they? Reset your map to all 1's, then try something like 13 and 1. Rev the motor and mess with the main scaler till it's not lean, then let it idle and mess with the offset till it idles well. Do this with no accell enrichments, or no TPS values, and no O2 correction. After you get it close, use the TPS map to stabilize the idle and the accell values to get rid of that stumble you get when you hit the gas.

And for the love of god do not put that CIS-III crap in your car! I'd try and find a Bosch boost retard/vac advance unit for your Dist. A guy at the dyno had one on his Snaab, and it looked like it would fit on the audi dist. I know there's room for the mechanism to move that way based on the last distributer I hacked up. Better yet, um run stage IIc :woowoo:

Jim

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the advice guys. Yes Jim I would love to run IIc but its a bit out of reach for me right now. Maybe a nice MSD boost timing master would be better? My injectors are from a 1995 VW Jetta 2.0. I know they are pretty small,but I got 8 for free. I'll keep you all posted.

Aaron

oh Nate hows the V8?

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
Maybe a nice MSD boost timing master would be better?
Yea, for $150 it would be worth a shot, I thought about those after I posted about the boost retard cyl, you can always pick one up or sell it on ebay to.

My injectors are from a 1995 VW Jetta 2.0. I know they are pretty small,but I got 8 for free. I'll keep you all posted.
Cool, yea those are probably pretty small. Keep at it!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Well I got the exhaust all done so now I'm ready to tune. I did drive it for a
bit and it is pretty quick after it stops bucking and snorting. Its much faster than the 1.8t A4 wagon I've been driving.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Nice, is it being persnickety pretty much everywhere but at WOT? What are your symptoms, and any chance you could get a log uploaded to my server fo rus to take a peak at? Too bad it's not a IIc style log, that could reveal quite a bit more info to base help on.

Anyway, best of luck, and keep 'em rollin!

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Aaron, it sounds like maybe your TPS map is a bit off, try entering a very high RPM for the TPS activation on the basic map, put in say a 6krpm, that way it won't come into play and you can eliminate it as a problem. If you have bad values in the TPS mapping it will cause your problem, once you get past that region of the TPS map the engine runs better, sounds like that could be it. Those are very small injectors you're running, I don't suspect they'd deliver much over 200hp, so be careful, if you're going over 20MS on the injector duty cylcle at 6krpm you're maxxing them out.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Guys,

Well I did get it to run pretty good until the #5 piston wacked the Valves.
The good news is that I pulled the head and installed 2 new valves tonight.
It was a very minor hit and did no damage to the guides. When I pulled it apart I found that the cam pulley keyway had failed. Its just a JT head that
I ported with the blau cam installed. It should be running by thursday night.
Just in time for some snow!

Aaron

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Car is fixed and running much better. My cousin and I drove around saturday
getting it to run better. I can run a plotter on it and e-mail it to whomever would like to check it out.

Thanks
Aaron

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts