Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... I need to find a new turbo for my CGT because the current wone is smoking like mad due to an oil leak. I am going to be installing a supplemental ECU in the near future to supplement the 5kt (mac11c) cis injection/Ignition system. I am planning on performing the resistor mod to the stock ecu to eliminate the boost cut out. I was curious how much boost you all think I could realistically run with this setup, and what turbo would make sense. I have found a couple of k26/27 hybrids, I would love one of Javads hybrids...but i am limited to what i can find used on ebay due to buget. I found one that looks interesting... although the seller doesn't seem to have any idea what is it. I was guessing k27.... any ideas?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... otohosting

I also found this turbo....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... otohosting

Should i go with something like one of these if i plan on increasing boost later?? Or should the k26 be enough. I read on Javads site that the K26 turbos become inefficient at above 15-16 psi. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jared

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
how long til' you do your computer mod?? you might wanna hold for just bit....I have a new friend who can make chips with revised timing maps that can utilize all the stock components of the mac11. i hope to be installing it some time within a month. i have some other small details to sort out before i can go hog wild on the timing :p . it also affects the WGFV. I don't know all the little details as I stink with electronics.

and, he said he's gonna start selling kits with the chip and an eprom socket so you can swap chips....under $100.

he can write programs for just about anything. the only setback is the stock MAP sensor can only go up to 2bar and then it don't read no mo :wink: . so. for any of you who might be interested in a chip....I'll have details on how this thing works.

oh yeah, he said he can also program into the computer to use one of the unused stock fuel sytem outputs to trigger a water injection system, based off of manifold pressure.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can be patient... any idea on when this might be available..... and would this chip revise the timing and kill the fuel pump cutout.... If am very interested. This would also make things easier when I eventually swap over to full EFI. Thanks for the info.

Jared

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Jared, I'd stay away from the K27 turbos, maybe Mike G. can speak up about how he likes his 26/27, but IME they are laggy and inefficient turbos, but if you can pick one up for like $100, might be worth a shot. Push that K26 to 20psi before you get too worried about it, but one of my hybrids will make a world of difference in the power department, especially after you've been trying to push a K26 hard.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
you should be able to find a QLCC chip from someone on audifans for very cheap. I got mine for $15 with a socket. i'm looking at getting a chip burner and eraser and the qlcc code to do my own timing maps. As far as your MAP sensor is concerned you can upgrade to one out of an S car pretty easy from what i hear. I have not done this myself, YET! there are tons of people out there that have upgraded their S cars to the 3.0 bar map and the old sensors can be utilized from what i understand. Contacting someone like hoppen motorsport could get you what you need. or at least get you the bosch part number to get a new one. I'm not sure how they take out the 2.5 bar sensors so they might get trashed in the process. something to look into! or maybe get a 3 bar one and see if it's adaptable.

oh on the qlcc, it doesn't eliminate the cutoff, raises it to 1.95. If you're going efi though it doesn't matter. In the mean time do the resistor mod to kill it.

jared, you're in montana right? we should get together sometime. I'm down in bozeman, i think you were in missoula right?

HTH
jeff

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
JShadzi said:
Jared, I'd stay away from the K27 turbos, maybe Mike G. can speak up about how he likes his 26/27, but IME they are laggy and inefficient turbos, but if you can pick one up for like $100, might be worth a shot. Push that K26 to 20psi before you get too worried about it, but one of my hybrids will make a world of difference in the power department, especially after you've been trying to push a K26 hard.
It works, and it cost about 150 bucks (bought a siezed k27, put the compressor parts on the stock turbo, clipped the exhaust wheel)
I wouldn't pay new turbo price for one though. Starts making boost around 3000 RPM, and it makes good power to about 6500 (I shift at 7000 in 1st and 2nd gears) It's pretty peaky, but the motor is so strong that you don't really notice the high'ish boost threshold. In first or second gear, mash the throttle at 1000 RPM (if you're retarded) and it gets going much better than stock, then WHAM the tach swings from 4000 to 7000 in a heartbeat and you just shat you pants and ran into the car in front of you.
Even with the K26/27 the car has more bottom end torque (sub 4000 RPM) than my parents K24 equipped S6. Past 4000 RPM the VW leaves the S6 like it's sitting still (800lb weight differential helps just a bit)

I probably wouldn't bother upgrading turbos unless you're going with a tube header and EFI. Stick a stocker on there for 100 bucks until you have the other parts necessary to get past 300hp (if you even need that much power). The K26 has enough airflow to get you to 300hp if you have the fuel, and the rest of the motor flows well enough.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Agreed with mike, the k26 will get you to 300 crank, after that you'll want/need more turbo.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
All I'll say is I'm not very happy with my k27/26 #6 hybrid...

Too laggy IMHO. :oops:

However it does a great job once it spools up.

Next turbo I get will most likely be the K26/T04E Javad offers.

Steve

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Dont forget that Jared has a Coupe GT. I think the k26 is more than fine in a car with limited traction. Its also a bit lighter than the quattro cars,so his hp/#
ratio is a bit better. 300 hp for a front wheel drive car is pretty damn decent IMHO anyway. He's a good driver on the ice so maybe if he gets the hybrid
and starts doing wrist curls the torque steer won't be a problem :wink:

Aaron

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Oh yeah, I totally forgot he has a FWD...

My friends FWD Corrado with a 16vt is pretty crazy handling wise off the line...

Wrist curls? Boggles...

Steve

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
you should be able to find a QLCC chip from someone on audifans for very cheap. I got mine for $15 with a socket. i'm looking at getting a chip burner and eraser and the qlcc code to do my own timing maps. As far as your MAP sensor is concerned you can upgrade to one out of an S car pretty easy from what i hear. I have not done this myself, YET! there are tons of people out there that have upgraded their S cars to the 3.0 bar map and the old sensors can be utilized from what i understand. Contacting someone like hoppen motorsport could get you what you need. or at least get you the bosch part number to get a new one. I'm not sure how they take out the 2.5 bar sensors so they might get trashed in the process. something to look into! or maybe get a 3 bar one and see if it's adaptable.

oh on the qlcc, it doesn't eliminate the cutoff, raises it to 1.95. If you're going efi though it doesn't matter. In the mean time do the resistor mod to kill it.
I managed to eventually find some QLCC code and compare it to my own... the only difference between the QLCC and stock is the boost cutoff has been raised, and the boost controller level has been raised to 1.8 bar.. aside from that there is no change at all to the timing maps.... not something i like.

As far as the resistor HACK, it works but i dont like it because it tricks the ECU into seeing different manifold pressures across the whole range, throwing the entire timing map out the window... a more ideal HACK would be the zener diode mod, it locks the map sensor at 1.6 but allows proper map sensor operation below that. however again i dont like that one either as it causes the mac11 to being bleeding boost pressure from the wastegate system and damping your boost transient time.

doing the timing maps is a rather tedious process, as far as i know only 2 other people know how to create timing maps for the mac11 aside from myself. intended acceleration, and smj autotechnik.... once you figure out the correct algorythim to determine the hexadecimal to ignition timing relationship, you also have to findout the checksum numeration to modify the eprom. it is not an easy task. and has basically taken 1.5 years off my life :p

if you have any questions feel free to email me... i am going to be offering chips soon for a resonable price, fully customized timing map, and if you need or want it i will also offer a service to customize the ecu and eprom for boost levels over 1.8 bar.

nate

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Picked up the K26/27 for 177.50. It is probably too much for now... but i plan to make full use of it later on..... stock turbo died anyway... so why not upgrade while i replace it instead of upgrading again later. I will see, going to get the car on a dyno in 2 weeks after the supplementary ecu install and the new turbo for tuning ect. I will keep you all posted on how it goes. Thanks for the help.

Jared

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
:slap:

How can you be sorry about it if you keep doing it?

yes, you can buy just the compressor housing if you want, as well as the impeller from the diagrams I've seen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts