Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Background

• I built this Spyder back in 1997 with a Renault 25 V6 Turbo motor & UN1 Gearbox.
    It was good and I was a fairly early adopter of building a kit car with an EFI motor, especially turboed.
    ultima1.jpg

ultima59.jpg

Cockpitlarge.jpg

Always ran well - but time passes and I decided a few years back to re-engine it.
    Bought an engine, gearbox, custom flywheel & clutch for it - and then parked it for another few years...

• Roll on 2021 and I decided I really must make a start.
    So I now had:
  • an AHC Audi V8 Motor[/*]
  • a GVC 01X G-speed Box[/*]
20201206_182516290_iOS.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Engine looks like it was made to fit, good clearance all round on the chassis and body - which is excellent, I don't think anyone has tried to squeeze one of these motors in to a spyder before, they have less hood clearance than the sports/gtr/can-am.

Sump protudes about 15mm out the bottom - which is a less than the old motor did and also shed loads less than a SBC would.

Motor currently sitting on wooden blocks in the new chassis in this pic while we check clearances.
Next step, steel on order to make the engine mounts next, just waiting on order to arrive and will wheel out the welder again, while I ponder gear linkages as well.
Gear linkage has been a proper chin scratcher to try and K.I.S.S, but I think I have a plan.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why am I putting an Audi motor in rather than an SBC?

1. Just because I can.
2. With the lighter audi engine and gearbox, we'll have a power/weight ratio still massively higher than my C5 RS6 has.
3. I liked the way Hilly's Lotus/Audi V8 sounds
4. A "short" porsche G50 box is a 4-speed (short needed to avoid sticking out the back of a spyder)
And the G50 boxes aren't a great match on gear ratios to an SBC
5. With the large selection of Audi FWD manual boxes available, they're cheap and I got to chose a close gear ratio set that'll match the motor very well
6. ££. A Porsche G50 box is very expensive now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have also been following this build thread, the idea of an ultima spyder with an audi v8 is extremely interesting. Ive always thought Ultimas are awesome cars so it's quite the privilege to get to follow a build thread of an engine swap being done on one. I'm sure others will soon chime in. Shame on them if not, this is good stuff!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool, thank you - as long as some of you guys find it interesting enough, I'll keep posting.
Mine was the only spyder with the old Renault V6 Turbo in - and I think it'll be the only spyder with the Audi V8 in too. I don't mind doing things a little bit differently.

Next challenge is the Gear shift, however I think I've worked out that I can reuse much of the UN1 linkage if I change the link point on the gear lever
As was, I'd get:

But by making a new gear lever, that pulls instead of pushes and vice versa, I think much of the rest of the linkage should be fairly straightforward.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts