Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to reinstall my steering rack in my urs4 and for the life of me cant get it to line up correctly. The splines to the steering shaft are correctly aligned but the entire rack is still an entire inch further forward than it needs to be :frustrated:

Ive looked at numerous diy's and havent gotten anywhere with it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Im ready to let the first person with cash and a trailer just take it...

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Then the steering shaft is'nt fully seated into the rack. Wiggle and push is the best advice I can give.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
U have the hoses attatched to the rack yet?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Splining the steering shaft is always the hardest part. I found on T44s you can push the firewall boot out and turn the steering column from the engine bay with the steering wheel off, once it's lined up correctly it slides right in. Should be nearly the same on C4. HTH

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ronald G Wainwright+ said:
U have the hoses attatched to the rack yet?
Hoses arent attached yet but I made sure theyre not getting in the way.

And the splines are about 3/4 of the way into the u-joint, it just doesnt seem to want to go the rest of the way :curses:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SPLINES ARE IN! the rack still needs to move about 1.5in towards the rear of the car, but it feels like its getting hung up somewhere on the driver side

should i have the driver side of the rack in the 'slot' that it goes in in the fender well and slide it forward from there or do i need to position it some other way first?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts