Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I'm just curious as to how some of you ended up with the usernames that you picked?

I got mine from the numerous plymouth barracudas I've had over the last 5-6 years. they were my primary interest as far as cars go, and I still have the one 67 notchback I've referred to a few times, but,how i came to the world of quattro all started like this.........

I have a friend who runs a car donation center that happens to have a wrecking yard on the side. and one day he told me that if i brought my tool box and a wagon out with me i could roam the yard all day and take whatever suited my fancy......for free! now how could any true car guy not be absolutely thrilled at the chance to do that, right?

so, the day came that I took my tools (and some borrowed ones from my dad, he's the one with all the snap-on stuff :D ) and i went out looking for some treasure.
while i was perusing down the isles with various vdubs and audis, I came across an 84 4ks with a 5spd. it was a kinda light gray/blue metallic ( i don't know the color off by heart) and it had the 85 and up bumpers with the 4 headlights in the front, a strange cross over indeed. it was the transmission that was of my particular interest for my buddies vw fox( i read on an fox website about the particularly better gear ratios of the audi tranny). so anyway, after I got it out, I was walkin around the car scopin' the body lines and i liked them, more than i imagined I could have. then later that day I was in my dads shop doing something and i saw a bentley maunual for the 4k and coupe gt cars.
you know how they have the drawings of the model cars on the front ? it was the kind of drawing that I wish i could draw of my car and then ad my own little cool touches. I started looking throught the manual and asking my dad about the quattros( I had no idea what the 4kq really was) and my dad started telling me the legends of the quattros that he raced against in 80's on some of the race tracks in northern CA, and how no matter how hard they tried the couldn't defeat the little boogers( unless they broke :p ). the fact that the car he raced in was a highly raced prepped and modified 70's model corvette made me take even more of an interest in the quattro.

so, that same week I started checkin' out the sacramento bee for 4kq's and didn't find anything. then when I got to my home in oregon I got on the internet and looked all over and came across Bensrallypage.com, which I'm sure you've all been across at one time or another, and i found a blue 85 4kcs quattro that happened to be about 40 min from my house, bingo! and the guy only wanted $1400 for it.

i asked my buddy with the fox if we could take his car up to look at it and i robbed my savings of $1200 willing to spend no more.a good horse trader shouldn't have to spend more than he is willing to :wink: . so i get up and check the car out. a little rough, but a lot nicer then the cars I was used to having( usually cars needing full restorations that we're from the 60's) and it ran extremely well and we went for a drive. i even got to lock the diffs up and bomb it down a gravel road. it had the externally adjustable koni's up front and the internal ones out back, it had a polished aluminum strut tower brace, stainless brake lines, and it even came with a extra set of snow tires. after talking with the guy for a bit, he showed me his 4kq rally car, that was pretty cool. i ended up giving $1100 for the blue 85 and drove it home that afternoon. strange thing is, it had really tall gears. it was tachin' about 4k rpm at 60-65 mph, but no problem, it got off the line pretty good.
my plan was to do all the body work and paint it over the summer and then look into a turbo swap, which got part way done. ha, I'm sure we all have had one of those projects that needs body work that get's started and then never get's finished. well, that's what happened, i started and then realized how much was the car was going to need body wise. so it sat for a few months and i looked for a better candidate and found the white 86 i have now, which was another one of those spur of the moment things and there happend to be a quattro in the sac bee and the owner was willing to bring it to me so i could check it out. it was alpine white with the chocolate brown interior. the car was straight as a pin, with the exception of a few door dings and needing a good buff and wax.never been wrecked or repainted. i ended up paying $2100 for it, which is way over kelly blue book, but it was worth every penny for being as solid and clean as it was.
I put the 85 back up on bens rally page and it finally sold. the money was used to purchase an 034 efi stage IIa from javad.
i spent nearly 10 months planning,prepping,and working on my 86 including all the wiring, turbo swap stuff,stripping the donor car, and all the stuff that has gone into it.
i now have a soft spot for the 4kq's and will probably always have one, no matter how "old" or "out of date" or "80's" they might get.

I enjoy every time I get to go blast through the back roads around where i live, the sound, the grip, and the related history that goes with the lowly quattro name...........

that's my story of how i came to the quattro world,thanks for reading,
Derek

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Thanks for the great story Derek.

My choice of username is a lot simpler.. I tried to get "mswanson" on some audi related website several years ago but it had already been taken.

I think I had JUST aquired my 4000 at the time and my dad had picked up an a4 avant as a lease car. I somehow combined the two car models into "a4kquattro". It has kind of stuck ever since.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool, how long have you owned your audi, I've had audi's now for about a year and a half.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
I've owned my 4000 since I was 16.. I guess that would be 7 years ago. (goddamn! Am I seriously getting that old? :wtf: )

I owned an 85 4000q a few years later.. I think I was around 20. I wrecked that one winter and replaced it with my current winter driver: the 1988 90q.

Next on my purchase list is an UrS4.. I think I'm going to pick one up after I get my tax returns back. I'm going to replace the 90q with that car.. something I can make long trips in comfort with yet still have plenty of "juice" on tap ;)

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Wizard of Audi... :D
well my AUdi story started when i was maybe 7(getting into cars)...my dad had an Audi 80 1.8S(carB) from England...sold that a couple of years ;ater...bought an AUdi 90 quattro and we drove it around for a while then that got written off.
Then bought an Audi 2.0E and my brother wrote that one off and now we have an Audi 80 B4.My dad loves the 80's...lowered and nice wheels and they have a mean stance :bashtard:

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
Well, my name pretty much sums it up. I had a buddy in high school that had a 5ktq, loved that car. We always made him drive skiing. My first car in college was an lowered custom 88 GTI which I had for about 2 years. Then one day a friend wanted to go and look at cars, and we test drove a '93 90q. I liked the allot, and it sat in the back of my mind for a year of so. When I finally got around to getting an internship, I had to drive about 40 miles every day, and the ride of the GTI was getting old real quick. So back in '98 I looked in the paper and saw a 90q with 108k miles on it for $6800. The guy says it's yellow, and I must see it to believe it. I fell in love with the car, I've always been the strange one of my group of friends, so the color suited me perfect. The car was in absolutely perfect shape, it had sheepskin covers on the seats it's entire life so they were like brand new. He was the original owner of the car, and actually bought it off the floor from the Denver car show.

The only mod I gave it was some new Eibachs and shocks for two years, but then decided I needed more power. I stumbled across Javad ( the devil) :) and Dave Close's swaps, and it's been downhill from there ever since.

The cool thing about my first turbo swap, is that I used the engine out of my buddies 5kq from HS. It had been sitting in his sisters driveway for a while, and they pleased that I took it off thier hands :p

I recently acquired my second 80q when I was at the bone yard, and there it was, sitting in the very front for $750 with your usual crowd poking and prodding at it speculating what could be wrong with it. I started it up, drove it around, found it low on PS fluid, and two quarts low on oil. Lucky me, the lifters sounded horrible. $600 later and it was mine, with topped of fluids the thing purrs like a kitten, and everything works! After some more investigating, it has new brakes, and decent tires which did just great in 15" of new snow up in Vail yesterday.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
don't you love being able to use weird noises to your advantage :D . I don't know how many vehicles I've seen my dad score by saying, man that doesn't sound good, I won't be able to tell what it is until i tear it apart.....how bout $500 8)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Shame on you guys..........You pay way to much. It get even better when you get them to take $200.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:D even better my friend

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
iduaobrut said:
Shame on you guys..........You pay way to much. It get even better when you get them to take $200.
:D That was the going price of my most recent 90q 8)

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
My Audi story start out quite humbly...in '92 I moved from Omaha, NE to California (where I live now), I was about 18 and my dream car was a Nissan extended cab pickup, slammed, with 4-12's in the cab. Ya, I know...well, turns out my Dad had a childhood friend who now sold cars, turns out he owned A-German, a local German Auto Wrecker and car sales.

We went down there to look at what he had, to my shagrin, no Nissan pickups, but his son told me he had a car I was sure to love. Upon seeing it I had no idea what I was looking at, he called it an "Audi" (they don't have those in Nebraska), and it said "GT" on the back. Seemed nice, looked kinda funny, and there was hardly any room in the trunk for subs, so I passed. But, I became friends with his son, and soon I saw a "GTI", and man, could you fit some subs back there, so my intererest in German cars was elevated.

Well, soon they got another car, a "4000 quattro", this one was black, and 4-wheel drive, and I thought, how cool to have a 4-wheel drive sedan, plus it looked nice, drove great, and was different. No room for big subwoofers, but I figured I could manage to fit at least 1-12, so I bought it. That was the beginning.

I put HR springs and Boge turbo gas on that car and drove it hard, I used to race 5.0 Mustangs up in the hills and show them up pretty good in that car, but crashed it after about a year of that.

I really wanted another quattro, almost bought a black 80Q, but at that time they wanted like $10k for it, crazy to think now. I ended up with an '86 Coupe GT, did all the suspension on that, front and rear sway bars, even ported the head, put a cam in it, 4kq exh. manifold, 2.5" exh, etc, car was really nice, probably made about 140hp, sold that in like '98 and bought the 80 quattro a little there after.

Its been up or down hill ever since, depending on how you look at it =)

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Welll, my story isn't all that special. The username came from a coworker of mine several years ago. He went to say my name, sometimes he said Nate, othertimes Stuart, this time it was a convergance of the two, resulting in a "Newt" It stuck at work, and I needed an AIM name so it came into use there, and has propogated since.

The Audi affliction started after I had a serious case of Renault-idous. I had a whole bunch of the French cars, and they were subsequently starting to drive me batty (you thought Audis wiring was questionable at times!). Parts were getting harder and harder to find, and there wasn't any sort of real community here in the states that I could rely on. One day my '83 Fuego 1.6 turbo decided to turn itself into a much more efficient mosquito smogger than people mover, at that point it's primary goal was just to get me from used car lot to used car lot looking for something to replace it with. I wanted something unique, but sensible for the climate here. I landed at a local used car lot on day and found an '87 5ktq sitting there in the lot, calling my name. Took it for a drive, power was decent, needed a couple little things, fell in love with the german feel. I went home and researched the cars a little more. Found a fantastic community online (the qlist) asked a couple retarded questions, got a pile of helpfull responses and I was hooked.

As Javad said it's been a downward/or upward spiral ever since. I sold my brother the 5ktq so I could snag a 4kq to do one of these engine swaps I had heard so much of on the list. Then I stopped off at Huws one night to lend a hand putting a clutch in his 'new' 90q and fell in love with the newer body. Sold the 4kq and found my current 90tq in Chris Semples lot, wrecked. Nothing a little TLC hasn't fixed up nice though.

All in all the trip thus far has been a blast, and more importantle I've made several good friends that I never would have had w/o getting into this god forsaken Audi.... thing.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey guys, cool history here. at first when I wrote this thread I thought that maybe it sounded kinda feminine(maybe I shoulda picked a better topic name :p ) but these kinda individual stories don't usually get swapped via the internet. before the internet, when you made a buddy with someone you spend one on one time with that person and get to know them pretty well, usually taking these kind of stories for granted. I'm glad I got into the audi "thing", i couldn't think of too much of a better platform for performance to work off of than a quattro. I used to be primarily into muscle cars and still am into them today, but i see the performance available for the price and turbos offer more for less. many a muscle car guy struggles to get the same power #'s at the wheels as javad has gotten and usually the muscle car guy has to completely beef up the bottom end and run crazy cams and port the heads to get decent power numbers,and even then, they aren't very streetable, but you just can't beat the sound of em'.

maybe one day we'll have an 034efi track day or cruise get together kinda like hot rod's power tour.........how cool would that be 8)

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Nothing is too feminine for this crew :eek: :wtf: 8)

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol......now my problem is I have this image of javad in a nissan saying "duuude". haahahhaaaaa........
funny stuff. hey javad, when you were still into the mini trucks, did you ever hear of FBI (fender bender international) a really big company now ? the guy who owns that company is a friend of mine, he used to have his shop right by my dads and I used to swap hotwheels with him all the time. actually, he's the guy I said was gonna give me a ride in his recently acquired f355 f1 spyder. oh yeah, can't wait for that 8)

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Derek, yes, this isn't too feminine, but anything regarding Upholstery care or CIS fixes, please send those emails to www.femaleaudiworld.com

I was more into Car Audio when I was younger, in fact, during the early-mid-90's I installed several systems that went on to do competition, I ran a small business called Inphase Audio, but by 95 I was bored of stereo and looking for something more challenging to do

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
k well, my username is because i grew up training hawks and falcons and hunting with them. This pic kinda gives an explanation....

As far as my audi story goes, bought my 5K three years ago and didn't have a clue what it was. Drove it for two and then got on AW and started learning what you can do. I've been a engine performance dork for years. Mostly in motorcycles/sportbikes. I used to be one of those dorks doing wheelies at 120mph or standing on my seat and that kind of stuff. Then i realized i'm not immortal....got interested in turbo's cuz i wanted a 600cc bike that beat everything. Built a yamaha with a turbo that was a SERIOUS learning project. The bike ran really good but i didn't know enough at the time to tweak it well. Had/Saw a couple nasty bike wrecks and haven't ridden since. Sold the bike and started putting that energy into my audi. And now i've got the best sleeper i've ever seen! So many stupid little riced out cars in this town going "what the hell was that!?" I LOVE IT!

cheerio
Jeff

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey cool, my cousin lives by detroit and he's real into catching hawks and training them. the last one he had died in oct. from some kinda fungus in it's lungs. funny thing is, my cousin is extremely inquisitive and he wanted to see what killed his bird, so he cut it open and said there was all this nasty green junk around his lungs, yuk.

motorcycles are pretty cool, but yeah, one good wreck can mess you up pretty bad. man, I couldn't imagine a turbo street bike, they already are soooooo fast it's not even funny.

as for the picture, another memeber tried to get a pic on and the same thing happened, I'm not a very technical person on computers but I think it had something to do with using the pic from another website and not being able to do so. :?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts