Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can see the following:

Is the small white plastic piece broken? looks like there might be a piece of plastic that may have snapped off but it's very hard to tell.

This hook moves around when I wiggle the handle but isn't attached to anything. I can't really see what it's supposed to attach to... Looks like it needs to press down on the big white plastic piece with two extensions pictured above

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Have u taken the inner door panel off to check stuff out?
That hook comes from the inner door pull cable. The hook attaches to the door latch u got off there.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The inner door pull is attached to the bottom of the latch. That upper hook in the pictures is from the outer pull.

Do you see anything that is broken? Did the hook slip off somewhere?

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
The hook attaches to the latch. Ur saying it isn't anymore? If so it should b.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yes, it looks like the tang on the plastic connector is broken off, letting the hook fall out. I've got a pic, but can't remember how to post pic, so if you can refresh my memory, I'll post it...Tom

·
Registered
308 Posts
The one on the right is front /other is rear....All the plastic 23yo bits on the car are brittle so I'd see if that is still available as I'm guessing you are talking about the drivers door, and if you found a new one, then it should last another 23 yrs....I could break that trying to remove it from the arm....Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
Reverse what I said, as you can see I labeled the locks

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That pic shows the piece that is broken! Hopefully I can still get it from the dealer...

Do you know if the hook in my pic is in the right position so that plastic piece can cradle it correctly? I'm assuming the hook pushes down on the big white plastic lever when you pull the door handle, but it can't do it right now because that plastic piece isn't there to catch it from slipping off

·
Administrator
12,586 Posts
The "hook" is the metal rod from the door handle. Which appears to be turned the wrong way. You need to remove the door panel to put it all back together properly. The larger plastic piece that attaches to the latch is for the door lock. The two black pins on the door hold a white plastic guide of sorts for the linkage rods. If you find the part you need is NLA I should have a few. I'd replace the cable while your at it don't that snapping too.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I see it now. I took off the leather panel but couldn't see much... Looks like I'll have to go further - Is there anything I need to look out for when taking off the inner frame(alignment issues or things that could go "snap!"?

BTW, that hose worked great! No more smoke when idling ha

·
Administrator
12,586 Posts
Taking the frame out is pretty easy just four 13mm bolts. Just take note of the shims at the bottom corners the rest you will be able to line back up with the marks left from upper bolts in the paint. As far as things snapping just keep an eye on the wiring harness door cable and lock rod that goes through the frame. You can take the frame out and flop it down on milk crate without having to fully remove everything.
Sweet that hose worked out for you! If you need pics of how everything should be I can take few if you need anything specific.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Austin. I ordered the clips and some other stuff from genuineaudiparts.com. If you have a pic of how the hook is supposed to be attached to the plastic piece I would appreciate it!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the pics! Very helpful.

It looks like the hook on mine is bent though.... Wonder how that happened

1 - 14 of 14 Posts