Automobiles Forum banner

Volvo 740 with Audi V8, Biturbo and Quattro driveline "AWDsome"

4736 Views 65 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Wibe_
Hello everyone.

I've been around here for a while now reading on many different projects so I thought it was time to share my own project. I've been building this for a while, so it will be a bit old information in the beginning, but still suggestions are welcome because it isn't finished yet and things can always become better.

I've got this car 19 years ago. It's a 1987 Volvo 740 TIC (turbo intercooler). First thing i did was of course to strip it down, repaint it, body kit, big stereo and such things as I guess almost every 18 year olds do to their first car?
So the color of choice was a Volvo "R" color named "Flash Green Metallic". It turned out pretty neat, and with 3x the factory boost it moved alright too. I think it was one of the quicker Volvos in town by that time.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light

Anyhow. I guess for some of us a powerfull engine is fun, so the hunt began for something more fun in this thing. Volvos I5 swap is really common and I6's starting to get normal too, so it wasn't really appealing enough. While doing the swap it would also be great to get enough grip since the oem rear axle almost everytime wants to do one wheel burnouts.

So I had this German imported thing standing in my driveway, not registered in Sweden so I couldn't drive it on the roads.

I guess what's about to happen will probably upset few readers, but I began to strip the front end out of the Audi and took out the subframe, suspensions, engine and gearbox.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

It's the older 4.2l 32v V8 lump in this car. Before I got the car from Germany, it was imported from Italy, so it was converted to run on gas/LPG, some of the components are visible on the comming picture.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive exterior

After some searching on the Internet and help from a local Audi dealer I got my hands on this information about the fix points of the front cradle.
Gesture Font Parallel Auto part Magenta

So, with the tape measure in my hand I started to measure on the Volvos frame rail. It was alot of measuring to get it all centered and so everything would fit alright within the volvos body. First of the front fixing points came to place, just a notch wider than the oem rail but with a little triangulation it should keep it together.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Bumper

The other side came along aswell, just copy the first side and it was done.
Automotive tire Tread Tire Bicycle part Rim

When they were done I could start triangulate for the rear points, I had to cut a bit more of the rail and make more of a cup to make the subframe fit, the rail was also wider than the subframe so i had to make a wedge in to the center to support it.
Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

And as the front one's, when one side were done it was just to copy it to make it work on the other side.
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design Rim

When the new attachment points were done, the Audi cradle fitted nicely within the Volvo 馃憤
Electrical wiring Electricity Gas Electrical supply Engineering

I also had to gut the Volvo strut towers to make the massive Audi suspension come through, pieces of cardboard and metal became a model of where I needed to cut out to make place.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

So, I guess this will be the start of this project since I only could attach 10 pictures.
As said, I've come a bit further than this, but I will get there eventually.

I hope you will enjoy this project despite the sacrilegious unity between the car brands 馃槉

Until next time

Timmy
See less See more
61 - 66 of 66 Posts
When the clutch was all in place, the gearbox, Turbos and everything else went back to its place
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Wood Auto part

when the engine was out, I took opportunity to swap out the inner and outer tierods, it was their time 馃槄
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Bumper Gas

on with some new covers too 馃槉
Unfortunately the outer ones wasn't delivered with new metal clamps, and I don't have the correct plier to the old ones. So I went this way instead.
Gas Auto part Wood Pipe Metal

But the inner ones came with simpler "pull and lock" clamps
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Bicycle part

And back in it goes 馃檪
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Naval architecture Vehicle Engineering

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

bolting back more parts as time goes
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Oilcoolers back in place
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting

Timmy
See less See more
Before fitting the alternator back on again, I swapped the charge regulator for a new unit 馃檪
The old was functioning, but it wasn't much left on it and I thought that while I had it out of the car I could do it anyway.
Automotive tire Auto part Wood Personal protective equipment Hand tool

it's a little tight getting all the clamps back in place 馃槄 This one holds the hoses from the gearbox to the oilcooler
Outerwear Wood Fish Denim Animal product

And this one too. When I made theese to mounts I didn't have the snorkel in place for the turbo 馃う鈥嶁檪锔忦煒
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system Rim

Since the thermostat for the oilcooler just hangs in the air, I thought it was time to make a bracket for it. Just an angled metal piece that's been cut to fit 馃檪
Automotive tire Finger Thumb Nail Wood

Here the third clamp for the gearboxhose is visible on the top bolt of the engines oilfilter relocation kit.

And the new bracket for the gearbox thermostat will end up here
Hood Automotive tire Saw Grinding Tread

Welded in place and testmounted with a screw from the back. After theese pictures I painted it with red basepaint as everything else 馃榿
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exhaust Tread

It sits really well here and will probably wiggle until the weld cracks, but it's in place now and for the registration atleast 馃槄馃榿
Automotive tire Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exhaust

Starting to get tight here 馃槄 Will need to alter the last bit of the snorkel to the airfilter, need another bend to make it nice enough and clear things without hitting them 馃檪
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

It starts to look like a car again, and I start to think that the widening of the rear looks acceptable 馃檪
Not as smooth as I would like it, if I could I'd rather have 0 widening 馃槄 but atleast I think this gives me least work with best result 馃檪 I'm not a big fan of those "bolt-on" plastic arch widener, which also makes me want to make a metal widening on the rear door instead of a glasfibre solution I'm leaning towards now, but unfortunately I lack skill to pull that of in a good way
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

But, when fiddling with everything I noticed this 馃槯馃う鈥嶁檪锔 I'm not sure why I haven't seen this before, but somehow I totally missed it 馃檨 from left/right it differs 5mm, not very much, but with this small width it do make a bigger difference. This is the front cradles bushings in the front, the rear ones are way better angled.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Bumper Automotive exterior

Timmy
See less See more
So, bite the sour apple I guess 馃う鈥嶁檪锔
Started to dismantle everything. Upper and lower control arms amd coolant tube.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Crankset Bicycle part

and the same on the other side of course.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Tread Automotive exterior

I then lifted the engine and put it on stands, and the gearbox is lifted near the rear output axle with a jack stand from a car, visible to the left.
Automotive tire Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle fork

After releasing the bolt for the subframe I measured how much that needed to be fixed.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Gas

And let the whole subframe down on the garage floor
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Automotive wheel system

Took the grinder and cut the whole thing out since I thought this would be the easiest approach on this
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive design

Took a new 5-6mm (1/5") plate and welded back in place
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system Fender

I then put the subframe back in place with the two rear bolts, got it back up to the right height and outlined this hole, I then proceed to make a centre hole to be able to adjust the subframe equally to the left/right as oem to alter/center the camber.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior

After the holes was made, everything was going back on.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

And on the other side. Even after measuring everything, it still became a little off in the angle. I guess it stretched/shrunk a little in different place due to the heat (TIG-weld). But still, its way better than before.
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car Vehicle

Timmy
See less See more
While putting everything back together again, I took forth the S8 D2 engine stabiliser mount that sits mounted on the right hand side frame and holds the engine more stable under heavy acceleration. This is mainly to show how much narrower my Volvo 740 is compared to the Audi this lump sits in originally.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Wheel

I have also purchased theese adjustable upper control arms, I know they aren't really for track and such, but ibe heard that they are a good addition. My car will not see track everyday, but I probably want to test one time or two 馃檪 The only problem is that the adjustable arm is longer than oem. So I might need to shave it a bit 馃槄
Tool Gas Wood Safety glove Metal

And in with it all in place again, along with new lower controlarms 馃檪
And yes, i managed to damage two dustcaps so i had to order 2 new ones.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

And the same on the other side of course.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive exterior

And almost back on the ground again. It still stands on Jack's here, the comming pictures will tell why.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

I also have to remake the outer part of the snorkel a bit, to angle it better so the airfilter sits better toward the bumper
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Fender Rim

And this is why the car is still on jacks
Coil spring Font Auto part Metal Art

Way better with new parts and some paint on the old ones 馃槉
Automotive tire Tableware Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system

Timmy
See less See more
So I continued with the rear now that the front is done and the engine is back in again. I removed the rear quarterpanel again and did some more cutting in the inner wheel well because I wasn't satisfied with the angle towards the front wheel.

And this looks way better, now it follows the wire I've strung up between the front and rear wheel.
Still a little point out in the bottom where the metal meets the plastic bumper, but I think I can live with that.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Wood Asphalt

The cutting made the wheelhouse a bit more narrow than it was before, so I might need to remove some or all of the metal that goes horizontally in.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Vehicle Chair Naval architecture
Wood Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Naval architecture Engineering Fish

I put some blank black paint on ut just to see how the light mirrors of the panel, if I got some angle wrong or so. And yeah, there are some dents amd old paint and such that make it look a little bad. But after all I'm happy with the result. A little putty on this and I think it will be awesome 馃憣
Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Tire Wheel Hood Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Hood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Timmy
See less See more
So, this will be the last post in this more rapid catch up saga that we have been going through here. This project started in December 2017, 2019 I was little low on motivation and 2020 I broke my back, having surgery in one disk in my lower back, and puncture in the disc above that had to self heal.

Anyhow, the posts will come slower now because I haven't come further than this and there's alot that also needs to be done to a house that hasn't seen renovation in 40 years. But I will do the best I can 馃檪

After the right rear wing I went on and took the left wing and started to copy the right.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Gutted up the inner arch
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Measured out where the exchange part will be welded, but haven't cut it out just yet.
Tire Bicycle Wheel Crankset Automotive tire

Speaking on the renovations, I have been fixing my garage roof. The tiles are as said around 40 years old and full of moss. The waterpressure washer got some off, but it wasn't enough to fulle clean the old tiles.
Sky Plant Property Cloud Building

After a weekend one side was done with new roofing felt and wooden undercarriage. Will be fixing the left side this weekend. Then it will be all new roof tiles.
Road surface Wood Asphalt Grass Plant

I've also found some funny posters that I think I haven't post before here that act like ornament inside the garage 馃槉
Land vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

And I also looking into getting/making an adapter for my BOV
Font Circle Drawing Diagram Illustration

(This is an old pic) I have purchased this 50mm (2") open bov that will be on this build, but I'm not allowed to use an open bow on registration and yearly mot's. It needs to be an recirculating one. That's why I want an adapter.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior Gas

With the drawing above, I purchased this (probably china) for a 5th the cost of my other bov, this has the same seat as my more expensive one, which is perfect.

I will just cut this of and use what i need and weld a 25mm adapter in this for a recirculating bov.

This makes it way easier for me to just swap them out and use the same hole in the chargetube for both units
Bicycle part Gas Jewellery Rim Machine

Timmy
See less See more
61 - 66 of 66 Posts