Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how good are they? like what myke has. it's not plastic, but are there any problems with them?

also, what exactly is the difference between a blow off valve and a bypass valve. is the bypass mean it's just redirected to the front of the turbo and blow off is just vented to atmosphere?

thanks dudes 8)

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Very generally:

A bypass/diverter valve is designed so that the intake charge is plumbed back into the low pressure side of the turbo...

Blow-off valves are designed to vent the intake charge to atmosphere...

Of course you can make a bypass valve a BOV just by not plumbing it back in...

Not sure what BPV the Volvo's or Myke uses.

If it's anything like the Saab, Audi, VW, Porsche Bosch plastic ones then you want the 710N or 110 valve. Fast acting and cheap.

Steve

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
myke has the metal volvo one. I was just wondering if they are more durable than the bosch plastic ones.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
METAL = RELIABLE

PLASTIC = CHEAP AND READY TO SELF DESTRUCT AND FAIL

8)

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I don't know about that. :p

The 110 and 710N seem to last awhile...

Of course this my experience at 12 psi...over 20 psi and it might be a whole different ballgame when it comes to durability...

Steve

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
While any of the Bosch valves may last a little while, IME, I consider them inferior for a high performance application, the flow and durability of the valves is compromised compared to just about any other design out there. Their only redeeming value is that they are cheap. Even in the S4tt, they are a regular service item, being replaced yearly in many situations.

If you want get a cheap valve that works ok and will last a couple years, stick with the Bosch, if you want to get a valve that works is reliable year after year, spend the appropriate amount of money to get a properly designed one. I dont' have any experience with the Volvo valves, but if they have a metal body that's a huge step in the right direction. Usually valves with diaphrams are more succeptible to failing that others.

12psi, hehe, that's cute :wink: Ya, that valve ain't gonna cut it with 400hp tho.

Javad

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
JShadzi said:
If you want get a cheap valve that works ok and will last a couple years, stick with the Bosch, if you want to get a valve that works is reliable year after year, spend the appropriate amount of money to get a properly designed one. I dont' have any experience with the Volvo valves, but if
Javad
Much better than the Bosch valve, and about 3 bucks from the junkyard (30 or so on ebay, 60ish new) is the 1st Gen DSM (Eagle Talon, Mitsu Eclipse) valve. All metal, 1" piston, handles up to 20psi, easily modified to handle in excess of 30psi. I'm using one right now, but maybe in the future I'll use two, they're cheap enough!
It won't boggle down like the Bosch valve, but it makes a nice sound IMO, and it's THE best valve you can get from a junkyard car.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Ya, great point about the DSM valve, 2 would be some serious flow to avoid any possible Boggleage, nice all metal design too.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys, I'll definitely keep an eye out for either for a future upgrade. for now, the plastic ones'll do

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Javad said "12psi, hehe, that's cute"

Wow, that was kind of rude. Thanks. :(

Anyways, I'll just add this:

I've had problems with both metal and plastic valves using diaphrams.

I used the 710N valve and it works fine for MY application so far and MY BTDT.

I know a couple of people that have used the 110 or 710N valve on Ur-S cars at high boost pressures without problems for years...

The S4tt comes with the 710A valve which isn't as beefy as the 710N or 110 so yeah, they may have to replace them constantly...

As for the DSM 1G valve, I hear good things about them crushed or uncrushed.

Anyone have a pic of this Volvo valve? Is it from the new "R"?

Steve

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Sorry Steve, wasn't trying to be rude, maybe a failed attempt at humor :wink:

Anyhoo, I think I've said my peace about BOV's for today :)

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Ok, no problem. 8)

I've said my peace about BPV's too. :)

I'd still like to hear some info on that Volvo piece if anybody has one.

Steve

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey steve, i don't know how to get the link over here,but if you go to page 4 and look for the topic "hi everyone" initiated by myke (mdg3369) there is a link in the first post to some pics of his car and the volvo valve he has.

peace out yo :p

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh yeah, i forgot to ask, does having the BPV plumbed into the turbo inlet help with spool up in say quick on/off throttle application? if'n it don't, then sheesh, forget hookin' it up for me, i want to keep scaring new passengers with the huge whoosh sound :D ......aaahh, what fun this car is.

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
They're really designed to be plumbed in between the turbo and air meter so you can keep all the metered air in the system. I suppose they would help spoolup if the outlet was pointed strait at the turbo. I personally like the simplicity of running them in blow off mode, plus, yes, it is nice to scare people without honking :woowoo:

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Derrecuda,

Found the link to his webpage and the BOV.

Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
no biggie steve, i did however have to make sure there was no nudy pics on there :D :wink: ..............all clear

1 - 18 of 18 Posts