Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey jim, i was looking at your site,and wondering how you like the water injection ?what do you see as most beneficial about having it.and is it worth the trouble and how long does it last (like how much water do you go through in a tank of gas) thanks much ,Derek

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
I love it. If you've driven a turbo car on a cold day, you quickly begin to realize hot much hot air sucks. With WI, it instantly takes care of any heat soak you may have, and it tends to clean the engine out on a steady basis. The benifits are not as large with my huge ass IC, but I still run it all the time above about 8 psi. When I hit boost, my intake temps just drop like a rock. Pretty cool.

I'd say I go through a 1.5 gallons every two tanks of gas. I was worried about running out, but I've only ran low to where my washer fluid warning light came on once, and I've never ran out. I just use plain old washer fluid that protects down to -20. That translates to a 50/50 mix of metanol to water.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool,thanks,I will definitely look into it :)

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
I've been looking at that as an option as well, but I'm nervous about implementing it just because of the potential for hydrolock if something goes wrong. Obviously just careflully checking the system before the first test run should be sufficient, just something I had nightmares about last time I was thinking about it ;-)

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pssh,you don't have to worry about hydrolock.if you have a good tip that atomizes the water, there isn't enough water to hydrolock. there's probably more fuel being injected at the same time as the water,so I wouldn't worry about that. what I'm really curious about (i'm sure jim could tell) is,when the WI comes on does it change any readings on the 02 to where you might have to lean it out a bit,or does it not really change any readings except for air temp.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
What WI system are you guys using?

I've been looking around for a possible future purchase...

Most of them are a tad bit expensive...

The cheapest I found was the Spearco WI kit. However I read some lukewarm reviews on it...

Aquamist, the only way to go?

Steve

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
For the love of GOD do not ever buy the Spearco kit. It sucks more than anything has ever sucked before. Aquamist nozzles are the best, and the high speed valve makes having a mappable system easy. I run a 100 psi Shurflo pump and accumulator. Check out the DSM WI group on yahoo for the best information. You can also get a stainless injector from Javad and run that if you have something to drive it. It would be cheeper than the AM HSV and nozzles.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Yeah, I had read that the Spearco WI kit wasn't very good... :bullshits:

Thanks for the DSM WI info.

I'll head over there and see what more info I can find.

Steve

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey jim, Can you give an update on how your WI how has been working out for you and what you'ved changed or would want to change? I'm checking out some of the DIY water injection systems out there...

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
Ohh yea, I'm actually running a third nozzle now, so we're at two 1mm's and one .7mm Most people would say damn that's alot of water, but also remember it's 50% methanol :) when you use all weather washer fluid good to -20. I picked up about 30 hp on pump gas last time on the dyno, nothing on race gas. It has really helped in my quest of trying to get the car to run more like there's race gas in the tank, I am able to run more boost now on pump gas.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
good topic derra...been meaning to ask myself!

jim, what do you use to trigger the system? a boost pressure switch? and where in your intake are your nozzles? i would assume right before the TB.

thnx

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, so good, i asked it a year ago *sticks tongue out* :wink:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
i don't 100% understand the water injection but couldn't you use a supplementary ecu to control it with fuel injectors... or some other type of injectors. you could program what map preasure it comes on at and all that.... am i missing something with this? Obviously youd still need a pump and all that.....

Jared

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah jarod, i think that what he means by "extra injector driver" it would only make sense :wink:

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
TurboCGT said:
i don't 100% understand the water injection but couldn't you use a supplementary ecu to control it with fuel injectors... or some other type of injectors. you could program what map preasure it comes on at and all that.... am i missing something with this? Obviously youd still need a pump and all that.....

Jared
Yea, you could, or use a GPO, but then it's just using unneeded resources and you still have to mess with getting it mapped right. This way, the high speed valve is pulsed at the same rate as the fuel injectors so your mapping is already done for you. All you need to do is figure out what size nozzles you need. GO through Brad at KC saab (google) and he'll even let you exchange them.

My setup:
http://www.mswanson.com/%7Ejgreen/conversion_home3.html

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
audifreakjim said:
TurboCGT said:
i don't 100% understand the
Yea, you could, or use a GPO, but then it's just using unneeded resources and you still have to mess with getting it mapped right. This way, the high speed valve is pulsed at the same rate as the fuel injectors so your mapping is already done for you. All you need to do is figure out what size nozzles you need. GO through Brad at KC saab (google) and he'll even let you exchange them.

My setup:
http://www.mswanson.com/%7Ejgreen/conversion_home3.html
The latest Stage 2C ECU firmware allows the user to use each of the 8 injector drivers with individually trim-able offsets, gains and max-pw settings.

With this, you could drive the high speed valve for running H2O injection, and dial in the needed H2O volume as needed, using the basic injector PW, which is allready indicative of relative load.

Has other applications too, like dialing in a single troublesome injector, or staged injection (small injectors for idle, big injectors for power).

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts