Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally had a chance to get the project started... pulled the V8 engine on Saturday, pulled the UrQ engine Sunday and test fit the V8.

Now I have a better idea for the problems I know I'll have to solve... custom engine mounts, where to put the mater cylinder, header modifications, etc....

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Probably the biggest challenge will be what to do about the master cylinder, considering the distributors aren't on the motor.

Chances are I'll make up a custom bracket and attach it to the firewall and use 2 master cylinders (no boost) like the tilton setup.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
You know Alan, if you get rid of those distributors you won't have that problem :D

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Oh yummy, another v8 swap in progress. :)

Is this to be a bi-turbo or NA application?

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
JShadzi said:
You know Alan, if you get rid of those distributors you won't have that problem :D
:D

As for the rest, looks exactly the same as mine, I see your engine sits offset to the pass side as much as mine does right now, I thought it was something I miffed in the tranny mounts and that was next on the list of things to double check on before the motor mounts got finalized. Lotsa measurin to do for me still for sure, but by the looks of yours it's natural resting place is exactly where mine seems to be.

Anyway, bestest of luck and lets hear some more details! :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's going to be a NA motor for now. Pretty much I want to get it in there and running first. Then once I get bored with it I'll find a place to stick the hairdryers. :wink:

Y'know Javad, that (coil packs) was the first thought that went through my mind too... But I figured my 20vt GT needs to be the first one with aftermarket EFI (034 of course), so my first setup will go on that. Even w/o distributors there wouldn't be enough room for the MC.

Newt, does your passenger side header downpipe clear the strut tower? I couldn't get mine on because I still have the studs on the end of the downpipe and they were interfering with the subframe. Holding it as close as I could to where it should go seemed that I'd probably have to "clearance" :bashtard: the strut tower some.

It also looks like the rear of the oil pan is farily close, but not touching the rear of the subframe. This was the way the CQ was too. It clears, but not by much.

The motor definitely sits toward the pass. side. My friends ABZ in the CQ was the same too.

You don't realize how "small" the V8 is until you try and fit it in the engine bay. No tilting of the engine or wiggling from side to side... it just drops right in very easily.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One other thing, Newt, have you checked the clearance of the airbox cover to the hood? My hood will close but there's zero clearance between the two at the front edge of the airbox. Wondering if you had that too on your car?

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Nah, my pass side is uber tight as well. Probably going to require some cutting and rewelding of the DP to clear. Judging by the amount of time I don't have left to get the car running it looks like the first couple of races will be in NA form until I get the headers built. It'll give me a good run in time though to get the timing maps set and a good base tune.

I didn't get the airbox with the engine so I have no idea about clearances there, my plan right now is just to plop a cone filter on the end. I can shut my hood with the motor in place, so I'm a happy camper :) But there is very little to no clearance above the intake manifold.

The oil pan was another item that I chose to 'make fit'. It was sitting too close to the subframe for my liking so I machined off a fair bit of the bottom (more than I needed to) and she clears by a mile now. Nothing down there that I machined would bolt up to the manual tranny anyway, so it was just dead weight with somewhere better to go.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
I was thinking of doing this (internal MC) too, the wilwood setups are cheap enough, anyone run one of these non-assisted setups regularly? Whats the pedal feel and travel like? Will I need to reinforce the drivers seat so i don't flip over backwards trying to stop?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I figured cutting an appropriately sized hole in the floor and wearing some sturdy shoes would solve the braking problem.

Actually thanks for the ideas so far on the braking issue, I'm open to any suggestions.

:thanks:

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
yaba daba doooooooooooo!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
All Audi 4/5cyl power/drivetrains are offset to the pass side a smidge. Can't remember if the V6's are too? I'd suspect so.

I'd imagine it all started with trying to fit the 10v into the Type43, and not using a front/center mounted radiator due to length (and crash) constraints.

I can say that an un-boosted factory braking system feels AWESOME at speeds above around 40-45mph. Especially great on the highway (I couldn't tell they were un-boosted). Around town, I thought my leg was going to fall off.

If you go un-boosted, you will have to check the pedal fulcrum/pivot and possible change it and add a travel limitation device of some sort so you don't bottom out the master cylinder. You will also want to run some calc's to figure out (from target decel values) what size master cylinder (hint, two cylinders to gain really good biasing and dual circuits) you need to run in order to not have an excessive brake pedal input force.

The spread sheet to do that set of calculations is "big", I used it to size the brakes and master cylinders on the FSAE car.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Cool, thanks for the brake info, if I were to go this route it would definitely be a twin cylinder job.

Time for some leg exercises methinks :p

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Agree on the non-assits brakes, the cars I've done don't feel like they're going to stop that first time you hit the brakes at 15mps, like, "whoa", and you have to really stomp on it until you get used to the feel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts