Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lads,

my recently purchased B4 V6 has a seized front caliper bracket pin...naturally I sheared it off inside the bracket to give my dad the chance to get the "I told you so" off his chest...

what cars came with these brakes? I know both my B4 Avant and my B3 sedan have the same calipers but I`d like to avoid canibalizing working cars to fix this one...there's a few A6s at the junker that I can steal from...anybody try to use B5 fronts on the B4s?

pretty sure my parts guy won't have this to buy new...

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I answered my own question...here's the info for future searches...

Sources for girling g60 brake parts:
1992 - 1994 Audi S4 Q Turbo (Engine: AAN)
1990 - 1994 Audi V8 Q
1992 - 1994 Audi 100 V6
1989 - 1991 Audi 200 Turbo
1987 - 1988 Audi 5000 Q
1986 - 1988 Audi 5000 QT
1984 - 1988 Audi 5000 Turbo
1993 - 1995 Audi 90 V6

Piston bore is 60mm. Here's some part numbers:

Girling g60 brake calipers
Left: VW# 447 615 123
Right: VW# 447 615 124
Seal rebuild kit for Girling calipers: VW# 447 698 471
Girling g60 brake carriers VW# 447 615 125

Interesting - this doesn't list the B3 Audi 90 but mine has them for sure...previous swap perhaps?

·
Registered
991 Posts
NiTeC said:
Interesting - this doesn't list the B3 Audi 90 but mine has them for sure...previous swap perhaps?
There's one in the junkyard near me that has G60s, so I think they did come with them. Of course, I know little about the later cars, so I couldn't tell you more.

-Rog

·
Registered
221 Posts
hey Nitec,

i've got a set if caliper and carrier from my rebuild project. they were clean/deglazed 5 years ago, still rusty but definatly not seized. i know that larger chassis carrier are not compatible with the b4 chassis.

can even throw in a set of boot and set of boot and seal to rebuilt them(calipers)

i'm looking for set if v6 engine mount if you happen to have a set we can work out a deal...

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
90mtl said:
hey Nitec,

i've got a set if caliper and carrier from my rebuild project. they were clean/deglazed 5 years ago, still rusty but definatly not seized. i know that larger chassis carrier are not compatible with the b4 chassis.

can even throw in a set of boot and set of boot and seal to rebuilt them(calipers)

i'm looking for set if v6 engine mount if you happen to have a set we can work out a deal...
How is the large chassis carrier not compatible? I have only ever found 1 part # for G60 carriers. Didnt matter what they came off of.

As for the B3 having G60 brakes, some of the late 91 90 20v Quattro's, and CQ's had them.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
DE80q said:
How is the large chassis carrier not compatible? I have only ever found 1 part # for G60 carriers. Didnt matter what they came off of.

As for the B3 having G60 brakes, some of the late 91 90 20v Quattro's, and CQ's had them.
That has to do with the leading or trailing location of the caliper on the strut.
Large chassis cars (typ44 and C4) have the calipers on the front side of the strut, i.e. specific position of the bleed nipple in relation to the orientation of the large and small piston.
When you use the large chassis caliper on the small chassis (B2/B3/B4), to have the correct orientation of the pistons you loose the ability to bleed the caliper.
Switching from left to right does not fix the problem because the rotor rotation changes as well and that is important in the piston orientation.
So, they are specific to the chassis size and not interchangeable.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
So its not the carriers so much. Its the calipers.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up Martin.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I could use a bit of help on this. I put 5000 uprites on a 4000 but cut the steering arms and spun them around dso the calipers will be trailing instead of leading. So what adapters do I need?

Also what calipers are correct from this list? Hope it shows up.

http://cart.autopartswarehouse.com/basket

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Small chassis should be what you need.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Small chassis is the "B" chassis. You would be looking for late B3 20v or B4.

The brackets themselves are the same. Its the caliper that differs.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
ALL US/CAN CQ's came with G60 calipers. They are dual piston. C-chassis cars and B-chassis cars used versions with bleeders in different spots as per previous posts in this thread. If you are smart about it, you can use C-chassis calipers on a B-chassis car. G54 calipers have different bolt spacing than G60 calipers, and thus are not interchangeable. Also, note that many 200q20v and V8q cars still have their original "UFO" braking system. They work, but are prone to warping and are expensive. Nice and big though, and a novel idea to get big brakes under a 15" wheel. But I am getting off topic...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts