Automobiles Forum banner

Kenny's UrS4 now with 257 SXE Built Engine

42K views 141 replies 28 participants last post by  morris400 
#1 ·
what small mods should i start with. id like to keep the stock feel as much as i can but would like a bit more power. im looking at exhaust and chip from 034, is there a point in doing a intake? i come from a B5 S4 where there was no point as it made less power the stock air box.

im not going to upgrade the turbo any time soon, just looking for a few bolt ons and some interior/exterior mods ( no body kits) maybe a lip or euro lights ect.

Here she is,

thanks guys,

Kenny

See less See more
#131 ·
Finally Installed! Not really that bad. Mixed up the crossover lines but got that sorted. They just clear with the stock 16....but they do.

Did a test fit with the winter wheels for our GTI, not a fan. Went back to stock 16s. Much nicer fit.

#132 ·

Took the car out today, had a blast. Car is showing better every day. Stock wheels back on and the Brembos are hardly noticeable lol.

#134 ·

Thats escalated quickly lol, Covid brought a new phase to the car. Built engine, Big turbo, back to VEMs.

#137 ·
I went back and reread this thread and you have done a ton of head work. I've never had the head off of mine.
I'm running a MRC RS2 chipset with the EFI Express LS2 coil setup with an original RS2 turbo and exhaust manifold
7a cams, stock downpipe and exhaust minus the cats and center muffler and most recently the 993tt brakes. I also have
an 034 shortshift kit(one of my favorite upgrades) and a set of lowering springs with Koni adjustables(not yet installed)
right now I'm running a new set of stock springs and new Boge shocks which I really like. I love the lowered look but
I'm not tracking the car and I prefer the stock ride especially in the snow.

Attachments

#138 ·
Jeff,

Ive not kept this post up to date really. I kinda just put my head down and got stuff done. Below is what was all done on this car since Jan 2020. I bought a huge stash of parts and a coupe and kinda went to town. I sold the coupe and focused on building a engine for the Urs that would be 1 hell of a experience to say the least. Every component was done by me, i hand build this myself in my garage. From flash to bang was about 15 months.

I have a ton more pictures over on Theprojectpad where i tried to document the build better.

Block was tanked, Decked and honed. Stock 81mm
Por15 on the block
Issam crank breather
Issam billet thermostat housing
Iaasm coolant T
034 billet coolant outlet
DM Forged AAN H Beam rods
Calico coated main bearings
Calico coated rod bearing
Stock pistons with ceramic coatings
Rings Gapped to .19
Ballanced Crankshaft
All bearing clearances confirmed re checked and documented.
(All hand build by me alone)

Cylinder head rebuild specs:
Vapor hone cleaning
Stock valve springs
Stock retainers
Stock keepers
Ferrea 6000 series valves
7A cam shafts
New timing chain
ARP Head studs
MLS head gasket
7A Valve cover powdercoated purple
Audi R8 coil packs
(All hand build by me)

Turbo setup
BW SXE 257 with .64 turbine
Kavon tubular manifold
3" SS downpipe with Vband into a 3in with 1 MF muffler
Stock rebuilt wastegate with 1.9bar spring

Engine Management:
VEMs ECU with tablet display
Podi Boost gauge ( new one )

Intake setup
Snow performance W/M setup
Stock AAN intake manifold
034 intake spacer
31 x 12 x 3 FMIC

Fueling
630cc injectors
Walbro 450 intank pump
EFI Express dual pump bracket

Clutch
Southbend 7A clutch stage 2 PP stage 4 Disc.
034 lightweight Aluminum flywheel
034 all metal throw out bearing
ARP FW bolts (7A fitment)

Parts and services for this build came from the following distributor's:
Autobahn performance
Fourstar motors
BEL engine services ( fixing previous machine shop mess up)
INA engineering
EFI express
034 motorsport
Ferrea valves
Podi.ca

Powdecoating, media blasting and Ceramic coating services
Fourstar motors ( Edmonton)
Strongarm cylinder heads (Panoka)

People who have gone out of their way to help
Lars Bjornstad ( previous owner of Coupe)
Nate Jesperson
Dustin Donovan
Neacail Campbell (Fourstar Motors)
Sterling Ball
Jeff Gerner (Worlds fastest C4 S4) spent hours on the phone with me.
Remi Szafransk (Autobahn Performance)

These people gave me their time, help, advice, donations, parts, connections, name it, they were there. Huge thanks for their continued support as this project get closer to completion.

#139 ·
sayoda said:
Fantastic!!!
Thanks buddy, im still working on the tuning side. ran into some issues local with a tuner, but Marc and a few others are really helping me out. im learning a shit ton thats for sure.

#140 ·
heres some more pictures from my build. info under the last photo.

This project started out when picked up a Coupe project from a local friend. he had a garage full of parts and was moving on from his build. i picked it up and with all of the engine parts being brand new in box still i decided to build the engine for my URS. the orignal plan was a 2.3L AAN with 83mm pistons and an EFR 6258 turbo. I changed my plans along the build and decided to stay with 81mm stock pistons and just hone the block. Went with a tube manifold amd an 257 SXE turbo as well. i wanted to be as close to 500whp as i can and the 6258 would not get me there.

what you see is what you get, every componmet was installed by me. i had a machine shop do the machine work, but they mad some huge errors along the way and i had to get a second machine shop to correct their errors. I had the head vapor honed but did the assembly myself as well. From there i just started bolting it all back together, every nut and bolt was cleaned or replaced. All parts were cleaned in an untrasonic cleaner.

This build was by all means a "budget" build. I traded parts for other parts, i sold off surplus parts and even traded parts for powder coating. i learnt alot along the way and am still learning. im doing the tuning this summer and will slowly start intruducing the meth injection as well.

#142 ·
bcbsox said:
What fluid did you use, in your ultrasonic cleaner, for the hardware?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
id have to ask and find out. it was a buddys cleaner from his shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.