motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: The Tech Lounge :: Engines

80q NG High Idle - Did I short something?

Post subject: 80q NG High Idle - Did I short something?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:22 pm 
Stuck in first

I've had the 2.3 NG in this car running really well as of late, no issues at all. I was tinkering tonight to start tuning the mixture without the DPR plugged in. I attempted to hook up a voltmeter (0-1v range needle) to read O2 output. Well, like an idiot I connected the leads from the volt meter to the connector for the O2 sensor heater (not between the sensor wire and ground), which runs to the ignition ECU. That was mistake #1. For mistake #2, I set the volt meter down on the intake manifold, at which point the exposed terminals on the back of the meter (it's a control panel style unit) caused a short of some sort. At this point the car instantly starting idling higher (~1500 rpm), and stayed that way even after removing the voltmeter and plugging the O2 sensor connector back in. The idle is rock solid, just way too high. Also, the car is now hard to start, like cranking for several seconds before it catches. This was a slight issue before, now it seems severe.

I attempted to pull codes, but the test light I use remained on solid, no blinking at all. This is strange as I've been able to pull codes in the past. No other research I've done indicates a "solid on" state for fault codes.

Finally, I have spare ignition and injection ECUs for the car. I swapped the injection ECU with no change in its behavior. I may swap the ignition computer to see if that makes a difference.

At this point I'm lost without being able to pull codes and begin trouble shooting. I clearly screwed something up here.

Other ideas/guidance would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
AJ

Post subject: Re: 80q NG High Idle - Did I short something?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:49 pm 
Stuck in first

Updated. Turns out I blew the 15A fuse for Engine Timing II. Replaced that and all seems fine now.

Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: The Tech Lounge :: Engines

Jump to:  

Information