Automobiles Forum banner

1991 CQ Sunroof

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  mettler 
#1 ·
Hi -

I am trying to rebuild a CQ that was entirely stripped to make it into a rally car. I am trying to determine if there is a lip on the metal part of the roof that forms the sun roof. Currently, the lip goes across the front and about a 1/3 on the sides towards the back. The previous owner stripped the inside of the car and welded some plates in order to fasten a piece of plexiglass that would act as the sunroof. I was able to remove all of that, but I can't tell if the person welded an piece of angle to form a lip that the plexiglass would rest on. I *think* I have a replacement sunroof, but it is tinted glass - I can't find a picture of a CQ with a tinted glass sunroof. It appears that the sunroof fits into the hole from the bottom up and is sealed by the neoprene that surrounds the glass. But, without putting the whole system in I am not sure if the sunroof moves forward and then up to seal, thus not needing the lip. Or, if it moves forward a little, then the front angles up and then flattens out which would allow it to rest on the lip.
I'll try to put a picture up later, but if anyone understands my post and can answer me that would be great.

thanks

#3 ·
To answer your PM the C4 sunroof is highly likely to be too large and not interchangeable. I have a C4S4 sunroof cassette, if you really want it I'd let it go for cheap.

Since this is intended for rally, why not stiffen it and remove the sunroof altogether? Along with stiffening the torsional rigidity, you'd be lowering your centre of gravity.

#4 ·
What I have is a 91 CQ sunroof that I want to put back in. The previous owner was in the process of making the car a rally car, so he had stripped everything out and added the steel plates that held the plexiglass sunroof in - along with a lot of RTV. That lip that is in the picture is what I am not sure was part of the original car or added. The plexiglass rested on the lip. You can still see some of the RTV on the roof. I am trying to figure out whether or not I need to cut that lip out so the original sunroof will work.

thanks

#6 ·
I'm not sure you have to pull the sunroof out. I think you'd be able to see the lip with it open. The lips purpose would be for the molding/water seal. I have threads on just about every audi forum out there, and on all the audi pages on facebook trying to find someone with a 91 that can open the sunroof and tell me if there is a lip there. I did a search on here for "91 coupe quattro" and PM'd everyone that showed an indication they had a 91.. :)

#8 ·
I will be pulling the sunroof out of my 80q parts car when I cut it up. I will try to take pics of the sunroof opening. I can't tell with the sunroof installed on my other 80q.

#11 ·
To answer your question(s):

1. the lip you have on your car is not factory. It looks like someone scabbed it in. If there is a lot of stuff like this on the car, you may be better off finding a different shell to build up.

2. the roof opening on 1990 and 1991 cars is identical. The only difference is that 1990 cars had a metal "sunroof" installed, where the 1991 cars got the glass "moonroof".

3. the gasket around the sunroof/moonroof does not have a watertight seal; it's purpose is to keep debris and the bulk of the water out. The sunroof, motor, and track are mounted in a stamped steel pan which attaches to the roof of the car. The actual water tight seal is between this pan and the roof of the car. There are four drains (one at each corner of the pan) which are intended to drain water which gets past the sunroof/moonroof gasket.

Hope this helps!

#12 ·
Kirk, you are my hero. I noticed that there are drain tubes too. But, now I scan finishbcutting all the stuff out and put the sunroof in. This is the only back-yard engineering that I have found. Hopefully, there won't be any more. I'm just looking forward to getting it road-worthy. Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.