motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: The Tech Lounge :: General

Recommendations for Headliner Replacement for 200 20V

Post subject: Recommendations for Headliner Replacement for 200 20V
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:28 pm 
Chirping second

Looking for tips from those that have done this. Also if anyone has shop recommendations for this in the Seattle area I'd appreciate it!

Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Headliner Replacement for 200 20V
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:43 pm 
I sprinkle rubber on my Cherios

I did mine recently in my avavnt.. Its a major pain but doable. The shell is stuck to the roof real well with some strong spray adhesive so you have to carefully peel if off without destroying the cardboard shell. Some layers of the cardboard peeled off but wasnt an issue for structure. the old foam/adhesive is so sticky its gums up and drags as you try and wire brush/scrap/wipe it off. I wasnt able to get rid of every bit of it but the new adhesive seed to stick fine. You have to unbolt the frame of the sunroof so you can get the sunroof panel off and the aluminum trim surround, this is also kinda a pain. There's a description in Bentley for removing the pillar trims fyi. The headliner section is semi useless. Ive done a few vw headliners, but this one was a lot more work then i hoped it would be. not to try and talk you out of it lol, its totally doable but your gonna need more then an afternoon thats all..

Jason

04 s60 R
16 Golf Sportwagen- sold
08 Passat wagon tsi 6spd- goner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:46 pm 
Chirping second

Thanks for all the info Jason! Hopefully it'll be easier in my sedan. Sunroof is also leaking so it sounds like that'll be a 'while you're in there' type job.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:29 pm 
I sprinkle rubber on my Cherios

Everything Jason said is true!

If I can add from my experience, the A- and C-pillar trims pop off. Do be aware of pulling the A-pillar trim off, cause the plastic clips are brittle and like to break if you don't pull straight out on them. They should be pulled off pretty much at the bisection between of the angle between the windshield and door window, maybe biased a little toward the windshield.

B-pillar is not super evident, but you remove it starting from the bottom piece and then the top. You'll have to pull off the door seals along the B-pillars to release them (and IIRC, the plastic trim at the bottom between the carpet and door card - It pulls straight up).

You'll have to release the panel around the sunroof by opening it all the way and prying up a bunch of thin metal tabs holding the bezel around the perimeter.

On an avant, it's pretty easy to get the panel out the back, but on a sedan, I think I had to drop a seat as far as it would go so I could go diagonally out a door.

A steel brush works really effectively to remove the orange stuff, but beware that it will get everywhere and stick to everything. I'd lay down some newspaper or something if you care about your workspace.

If you're doing the fabric yourself, stretching is your friend. I found it pretty effective not to necessarily glue *everything.* You can avoid glue on convex contours and some flat areas between sections, since the tension in the fabric will keep it to form. This really helps avoid wrinkling if you don't lay it down perfectly and will allow you some flexibility pressing into difficult contours (like the oh-shit handles). I like to work from inside-out, starting in the large flat above the rear footwell. From there, I work my way forward and back, but avoid the ~6-8" on the sides so you can still fold the fabric up to spray glue for the handles. For the sunroof, I glue it flat all the way across first, then cut the hole and some relief cuts to wrap the material over the edge and glue it on the back-side with binder clips. Using the sun visor helps evenly press fabric for the corners of the sunvisors. At this stage, I only put glue on the valley of the oh-shit handles, which gives you the flexibility to press into the dips and pull fabric from the surrounding unglued sections. You can take any remaining slack out when you wrap the fabric over the edge of the panel.

The other steps in removing are fairly straightforward, but I'm happy to lay them out if you need anything. Best of luck!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:25 pm 
Chirping second

Thanks for the additional info! Very much appreciated

Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: The Tech Lounge :: General

Jump to:  

Information