motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: The Tech Lounge :: General

7A motor camshaft tightening sequence

Post subject: 7A motor camshaft tightening sequence
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:17 am 
Stuck in first

Looking for help on the tightening sequence of cam caps for a 7A motor (1989 Audi 90 20v 2.3litre). I've found some info online in a manual which suggests the following:

NOTE - Inlet side shaft (caps are numbered 6,7,8,9,10)
Tighten bearing caps 6, 8 and 10 alternately and diagonally. Then install remaining caps. Torque 15nm

NOTE - Exhaust side shaft (caps are numbered 1,2,3,4,5)
Tighten bearing caps 1, 3 and 5 alternately and diagonally. Then install remaining caps. Torque 15nm

Can anyone shed some light on what is meant by the diagonal part? For inlet side does it mean I tighten one nut on cap 6 and then move to the opposite nut on cap 8 and then opposite side nut for 10 and then go back the other way tightening up the second nut on each cap. Or do I do both nuts on cap 6 (top nut first then bottom), both nuts cap 8 (top first then bottom one) etc). Guessing 7 and 9 can then be done in similar fashion before moving to the Exhaust side.

Also wanting to know when I should tighten the two remaining caps that sit on the opposite side of the chain (one on each cam). No mention of that in the stuff I've read. Are they done last of all?

thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: 7A motor camshaft tightening sequence
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:58 am 
kickin' tires'n lightin fires

This isn't professional/bently based but it's what I've always done and never had an issue.

Put 6/8/10 on, tighten nuts to finger tight. start on 6, tighten one stud a few turns, go to the furthest stud (diagonally so if you do the left nut on 6 go to the right nut on 10), do a few turns on that, go to the other stud on 10 and get the cap to sit evenly, then back to 6, get that cap sitting evenly, then get 8 down to the same level as 6/10. Rinse wash repeat until you can get to final torque, do the other cam the same way, then put the end caps on.

At the end of the day, the most important part is that the final torque sequence follows the above, and that you go slowly so as not to overly stress any of the cam cap studs. Everything else is relatively inconsequential, just go slow and you should be fine!

1989 200tq Avant- Gone but not forgotten
1986 GTI- longterm project
And one brindle pup in the back

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:58 pm 
Stuck in first

Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. Sounds like a good approach so I'll go with that method. Meant to ask if you have to take out the cam shaft seal before the caps come off or will that just slide off the shaft once the caps are off? thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:07 am 
kickin' tires'n lightin fires

blagle wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. Sounds like a good approach so I'll go with that method. Meant to ask if you have to take out the cam shaft seal before the caps come off or will that just slide off the shaft once the caps are off? thanks again.

No worries, and yeah you can just pull the cam caps and get the seal off the cam once it's fully free of the head.

1989 200tq Avant- Gone but not forgotten
1986 GTI- longterm project
And one brindle pup in the back

Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: The Tech Lounge :: General

Jump to:  

Information