Automobiles Forum banner

1990 CQ 07K build and 1991 CQ Restoration

49K views 61 replies 13 participants last post by  CoupeMaster 
#1 ·
finally pulled the trigger and do the build thread.
here is the story. A few years back I had a coupe that I sold and I missed it. so I started looking for one and I came across one in Michigan it is 1991 Tornado red in summer 2016 that has not moved since 2006. Even though I wanted a CQ. the red wasn't my favorite color but I still bought it. and in November 2016 I found the a pearl white in my town in rough shape but no problem. since the car will be stripped down and rebuild. I was waiting after winter to start the build and in the mean time I start acquiring parts.

Free Parts if anyone is interested
-complete black leather rear seats in great condition .... gone
-center console included part that shows battery, oil pressure... gone
-glove box ...gone
-original steering wheel in good condition if anyone interested
-instrument cluster .... gone
possibly some other misc laying around that I dont need
color: black
otherwise I will throw them away

See less See more
#2 ·
Power goal: looking for a 'reliable' 500Whp or Close
so far what I already have:
full motor 07K with wiring harness
01e transmission for S4 with linkage
4KQ driveshaft
Hx35 turbo from Eurotrash Motorsport

Body
A7 steering wheel that will be sent to redlineGood for Alcantara wrapping
B4 front end complete swap
S2 OEM rear bumper
RS2 fiberglass front bumper in order coming from Europe
As far as paint will go I will repaint it Casablanca white as this was my first Audi color (B5 model)

#3 ·
Main things that I still need to order:
Motor and Tranny mount
transmission Rebuild kit from (beef up that tranny a bit)
TTRS crankshaft
schrick Camshaft
JE Pistons
IE rods

#4 ·
What year engine 07k do you have? For 500whp, you don't necessarily need the 8-bolt TTRS crankshaft. You could find a forged 6-bolt and not have any issues so long as you use ARP fasteners and loctite.
If you've got an early engine, you'd also have to update the timing setup to use the later TTRS crank IIRC.
Same goes for the cams, they're not necessary for 500whp. You could also try a TTRS intake cam for a cheap improvement, Hank probably has plenty he could sell you.
What gas? You should be able to get close to 500whp on 91-93 oct. E85 would make it easy.

#5 ·
It is 2009 CBUA! I will tear apart this weekend to find out for sure but I doubt it has a forged crank
TTRS crank is because I wanted peace of mind on the forged part plus 8-bolt crank is nice as far as flywheel choice and i didnt know the early 07K had a fix for the timing that is why I was staying away from them.
Cams is because I will rev that engine to 8K RPM and neither 07K and TTRS cams are good past 7K.
500Whp is for reliability with Room to go big power on a swap of a turbo

#6 ·
Plus for the Cams I found a source in Europe where I can source them for about 1K shipped to my house

#8 ·
Mushasho! said:
I don't see mention of an oil pan for longitudinal placement.
Are you doing something radical to the sub-frame in lieu of?
Or going really radical and placing this horizontally?
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it here but it is already on my list just like the valve cover and other little things I need

#9 ·
Am I the first one fitting a 07K/making a thread for 07K in a CQ?
I know it has been done in a UrQ, 90Q and
I know Gabriel.b is working on a 07K for his coupe too at the moment.

#10 ·
thierryfabrice1 said:
Am I the first one fitting a 07K/making a thread for 07K in a CQ?
I know it has been done in a UrQ, 90Q and
I know Gabriel.b is working on a 07K for his coupe too at the moment.
My parts will arrive eventually :/

#14 ·
Hybrid_Hatch said:
There is no difference in engine bay from Jim's 90 to your cq engine bay.
Jims intake manifold is different from all the other ones being made by hank though.

Requires moving all the acc.

#15 ·
gabriel.b said:
Hybrid_Hatch said:
There is no difference in engine bay from Jim's 90 to your cq engine bay.
Jims intake manifold is different from all the other ones being made by hank though.

Requires moving all the acc.
that may be true, but as far as being the first to do it, Jim was first. Manifolds can be modified/reworked.

#16 ·
Hybrid_Hatch said:
that may be true, but as far as being the first to do it, Jim was first. Manifolds can be modified/reworked.
Oh i didnt realize that was the point you were making. Yeah Jim was first from a technical standpoint, but I dont think there are any b3/b4 S2/CQ
running around with O7K's yet.

Mine is also going to be dry sump. So hopefully ill be able to claim first dry sump b3 woot

#18 ·
quattro v1.0 said:
Make sure to document your dry-sump adventure. I'd like to follow that.
I will start a thread once I actually get parts in.
I am looking into an electric oil pump because then I wont have to fab a bracket.

Failing that, we will see lol

#20 ·
audifreakjim said:
Oh my god my ears are burning! I should log into MG more often I guess:) Good to see more 07k action.
Haha. your build inspired me! I read your whole thread.

#21 ·
thierryfabrice1 said:
audifreakjim said:
Oh my god my ears are burning! I should log into MG more often I guess:) Good to see more 07k action.
Between jim's build and Hanks URq doing donuts in the parking lot I was pretty sold. lol

#22 ·
gabriel.b said:
thierryfabrice1 said:
audifreakjim said:
Between jim's build and Hanks URq doing donuts in the parking lot I was pretty sold. lol
Yep exactly!
Quick Update!
I dropped and off course i was not forged!
Hey Gabriel, Can you verify this:

LVPainterZ said on the vortex forum
"Fun fact.
try to debunk if you guys want.
the oil pan bolts will tell you
T30=Forged
10mm =Cast
does not apply to the ttrs
I've gone through about 60 motors and not been wrong once."

mine had 10mm pan bolts

#23 ·
Just look on the end of the crank for the lazer engraved part number.
But ill check my bolts

#24 ·
I have T30 and a forged crank, might hold true
Though almost all of the 05-06 motors are forged and later are all cast

#25 ·
OOOOGT said:
What year engine 07k do you have? For 500whp, you don't necessarily need the 8-bolt TTRS crankshaft. You could find a forged 6-bolt and not have any issues so long as you use ARP fasteners and loctite.
If you've got an early engine, you'd also have to update the timing setup to use the later TTRS crank IIRC.
Same goes for the cams, they're not necessary for 500whp. You could also try a TTRS intake cam for a cheap improvement, Hank probably has plenty he could sell you.
What gas? You should be able to get close to 500whp on 91-93 oct. E85 would make it easy.
good Advices!

I'm eyeballing an early 07k (2006) that I can have for a 3rd of the price of the TTRS crank. but i was wondering how the timing can be updated? from what Issam Abed said the timing can not be updated unless new crank which comes down to buying a newer 07K. how likely is it to fail anyways?

#26 ·
If you use a late block you need a switch to "old chains". New but pre 08 guides/rails/chains.
And the gear that relays cam chain to crank. That needs to be swapped if using late block as well.
Crank gear is diff then late versions.
So oil pump. Relay gear and chais/guids have to match respective crank.

In short, if you're after a forged crank, and find one, get the whole block if the head is good instead of mix and matching.

All this info can be easily found on tpp...
Start a thread there instead...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.