Automobiles Forum banner

"MAPI 90" Audi 90 20v quattro project

31K views 125 replies 8 participants last post by  Speedyurs4 
#1 ·
So I decided to make a thread on my Audi 90q 20v project I have been messing around with on my free time.
I picked her up sometime late last year from a guy in Indiana. Apparently, it was used as an ex-rally cross car and the interior was completely stripped then stuffed with a bunch of random parts. Other than some minor imperfections the body is pretty decent. The majority of the time till now was spent fixing half ass ghetto quick fixes the previous owner did(like using old hammer head to plug the hose that went to the aux radiator [emoji38] ), fixing vacuum leaks and cleaning up a bunch of butchered wiring. Other things I've done is swapping the factory bbs back on, cleaned up the bare interior a bit, put seats back in it, put all the door glass back in, fabbed up a snub mount since it was missing one, and straightened out some of the cut wirings. That being said there are some decent parts that the car does have like solid aluminum front subframe bushings, Bilstein shocks, and some other bits. Anyways, things that still need to be fixed is the lack of power brakes and power steering due to a leaking hose, leaking valve cover, and smoking that comes and goes.
I'm not too sure what I mainly want to build it to do but some future modifications I'm thinking of is:
Swapping an AAN in with 7a distributor running on a haltech e6x or turbo the 7A
Diy coilovers
Putting Benz s500 brembos on the front
redoing snub mount and make engine mounts also
Put in a roll cage
maybe hydro park brake
battery relocation
Tube part of the front end
This project most likely won't be finished anytime soon between college and an upcoming summer internship with GM Proving grounds.
Still, any thoughts or input is welcome and I'm going to post more pic on stuff I'm doing in the very near future :thanks:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Small update, got a lot of the cut wires taken care of now just to clean things up so it wont be a spaghetti mess under the dash. I took a break from the wiring and started removing the bad line for the steering rack but couldn't go any further after removing it since the sky decided it wanted to rain cats and dogs.
Also does anyone know the threads size for the steering rack low pressure line? Im thinking of making a replacement hose or having one made.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Small update:
Finally got around to getting the dash back in and most of the wires decent.

I also started making a rough template for gauges and switches from foam board . Im thinking of making it either out of aluminium sheet some sort of abs plastic, or fiberglass.

On a side note figured Id post some pics of these signatures on the dash and valve cover

#4 ·
Had to cut things short since it started raining again. Sat in the old girl for bit to see if it would ease up but decided to head in.

Pic of the 90 as it started raining

#5 ·
Small update: I haven't been able to work on the car due to being in another state but I did get the chance to make an steering adapter to extend the column about 2.5 inches and mount an aftermarket steering wheel. I also ordered some bits to replace the bad power steering line with an fittings and ss braided lines

#7 ·
mk4_Beanz said:
Very cool. Interested to see this come together!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Thanks i also came into this huge ihi turbo and im very tempted to try making it work on this build or maybe selling it to fund the build further not sure yet though

#8 ·
Yet another small update: Finally got the line and an fitting but one of the fittings I ordered was wrong an size so ill have to wait again for the right part. In other news I got the adapter for the steering wheel on. Fitment is pretty decent and Im happy with how it turned out..
In addition figured I'd see how much space the ihi turbo would use.

#9 ·
Finally got in the adaptor tried bleeding everything and turns out the rack needs rebuild so yet again things are going to be at a stand still until I can get a spare rack from back home. In the mean time I plan on fixing the exhaust that leaks And start on other things like battery relocation and finding other major issues

#11 ·
mk4_Beanz said:
What's the A/R of the compressor and turbine on the ihi? Ball bearing? Where did you find the steering wheel adapter?
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Not 100% sure on the specs all I was told its a 66mm turbo But I'm leaning more towards ported k24 turbo I have for right now so the ihi may go up for sale. The steering splined adaptor I used to make the custom wheel boss can be found on earlier to mid-90s vws like passats

#12 · (Edited)
Happy New Years everyone.
It has been some time since I did any updates or real progress on this project in the past year or so. Just did not have a place to free do work in college, then no free time after moving 500+ miles to another state for an awesome job offer. Now it's a new year and I now have a workable space and some free time, I think it's time to breathe a little bit of life back into the MAPi 90 project.
I recently picked up a parts s6 in last month and pulled the motor and harness out to go in when ready so the first task is to get parts car gone so clean up a bit and then I can park my s4 back in the garage. Next will be to start the process of pulling the 7a motor out the 90 and start prepping for the swap.

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
the green s4 is my og baby but ya now she got a smaller chassis sister lol. I plan on getting the donor gone this upcoming week.

#15 ·
So small update.
Got a couple of bits that were left I wanted to pull off the s6 and got it moved out of the garage ready to scrap this week hopefully. Also I picked up a 01E 6spd from a 3.0 v6 a4 to add to the trans collection.
Anyway, back to the 90. Before it was put on hold I did get a chance to make the gauge panel out of plexi but might remake it in aluminum. The next thing I plan to do is clear the car off and start pulling the front end apart.

Attachments

#16 ·
Update: Got some wrenching time in today to get the swap going.
Things done so far:
Pulled the hood and front end off.
Drained the oil.
Pulled plug wires and injector connectors
Next on thing is to finish disconnecting things from the engine and drain the coolant then pull the radiator.

Attachments

#17 ·
Some more progress on the project today. Got the radiator drain and pulled along with the wiring and some other stuff.
Next on the plan is to unbolt the drive shaft, linkage and half shafts then exhaust downpipe and mounts to pull motor and trans as one unit. Im going to start posting some 7a parts to help fund the project. Currently going to put up for sale a 034 injector swap set with rail and bungs if anyone is interested.

Attachments

#19 ·
Got the engine and trans out and dang did it put up a fight. To start off found that all the bolt to the drive shaft was only snug and a few could be loosened by hand. Next found that every single bolt one the passenger half shaft was stripped out and the only ones super tight. Ended up having to use a vise grip to remove the 6 bastards. Then surprise surprise the down pipe boots were also stripped and stuck. After about a half hour I finally got the bolt to fail and pull the motor out. Took about 3.5 hrs with all the issues but it's out!!! Not sure what I plan to do next either clean up the bay or start tearing down the 7a for the valve cover cams and a couple other bits. May turn my attention to this s6 shell to get it out of the drive way

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

#20 ·
So added more things I wanted to do with the car. I'm going to go ahead and do a 01e swap using the s6 5 spd for now since everything is out. Later on when doing some suspension stuff I want to do a 5 lug conversion and maybe use a pair of Brembo gt's I got in a trade. May also look into some rear upgrades as well. Lastly, a vacuum booster conversion has been in my mind for a while and recently I found an Audi 100 in the junkyard I plan pulling the booster and pump from. Didn't get a chance to today as it snowed the entire day. On another note, I have a new inbox stage 1 spec clutch kit I acquired from a member and was thinking about using if there are no fitment issues as it is for Dual mass flywheels but I'm wanting to use the 7a fw instead of the aans. As for the next in the agenda, I'm going to start pulling apart the 7a for the parts to go on the aan. I plan to keep the cams, valve cover, Crank pulley, flywheel, and pan for now . Everything else and some s6 parts I'm going to see if I can sell for funds to keep things going along on this project.

Attachments

#21 ·
Where in MD are you? I'm a little over the border in PA, and we didnt get anything from this system that came through. To be honest, we have less snow this morning due to the warm up overnight, and rain than we did when it started.

As for the clutch, I think it won't work. I'm pretty sure the pressure plate is completely wrong for a 7A flywheel. What are your plans for the 01E shift linkage? I'm have B3 style linkage and also the B5s4 linkage and box. I know the B5 stuff can be made to work with some modifications to the tunnel.

#22 ·
I actually just moved to Michigan for work but I travel back to Maryland every now and again. As for the clutch Ill see about the pp as I Know that's the main difference. The aan pp is shallower. I'm going to measure things up to see how much of a difference there and weather I can compensate with different slave cylinder rod lengths. If all fails I'll just use the aan fw if it looks good for the time being. For the shift linkage I was thinking of cutting the stock b3 link flipping and bending it and mating it to the end of the URS link and moving the pivot point like I saw in a post on one of these Audi forums

#23 ·
DE80q said:
Where in MD are you? I'm a little over the border in PA, and we didnt get anything from this system that came through. To be honest, we have less snow this morning due to the warm up overnight, and rain than we did when it started.

As for the clutch, I think it won't work. I'm pretty sure the pressure plate is completely wrong for a 7A flywheel. What are your plans for the 01E shift linkage? I'm have B3 style linkage and also the B5s4 linkage and box. I know the B5 stuff can be made to work with some modifications to the tunnel.
^^^^

#24 ·
I also thought about use in the model shift linkage and a JHM shifter, all of which I have. From what I was told, using the B5S shift box with a moded B5S shift linkage makes for smoother shifting.

What are your plans for the suspension?

#25 ·
DE80q said:
I also thought about use in the model shift linkage and a JHM shifter, all of which I have. From what I was told, using the B5S shift box with a moded B5S shift linkage makes for smoother shifting.

What are your plans for the suspension?
Interesting. The main reason I'm thinking of doing the linkage that way is the car has a 034 short shifter in it and I wanted to keep it.
I was thinking of doing some diy coil overs for suspension, 5 lug swap, and reusing the Bilstein shock that's on the car already.

#26 ·
So I haven't done anything to the car as it's been single digit cold and snowing for the past few days but got in a few parts. Got a 3b manifold for a decent deal and a eBay manifold I bought some time ago from a member. Once I start building up the AAN and test fitting things I will see if I for sure will use the 3b manifold or keep the AAN.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.