motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

3b conversion coupe - Almost finished

Post subject: Re: 3b conversion coupe - Troubleshooting
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:01 am 
mach 2 with my hair on fire

With most of the major cosmetic issues taken care of, some new minor ones have arisen. The car has been parked outside since summer broke this year. And likely due to the hot sun and heavy coats of substrate, my paint has cracked in a couple of places: just above the mid-door moldings on the passenger side door and around the fender arch on the driver's side. Luckily, the repair will be easy enough to do now that the rest of the car is done.

Moving on to more important things...

I installed a boost gauge and have 5psi max pressure, and 20 to 23 Hg under vacuum. There is also a fuel smell in the cabin, which has me thinking about how the carbon canister, check valve and freq valve are routed. Does anyone know if the 3b's check valve operates differently from the one in the 7a system, given that they see different vacuum pressures under the same load conditions?

**Also (may be related), my passenger door lock actuator wants to go back to the locked position when I unlock the doors and there is a lot of noise coming from the passenger side trunk compartment. Sounds like a fan or a pump of some sort.

1990 CQ 3b

Post subject: Re: 3b conversion coupe - Almost finished
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:55 am 
Redline?

Don't quote me on this but 5psi sounds low to me, shouldn't the 3b be similar to the AAN and run about 12psi stock? I'm no expert but that's just my two cents

I drive cars that are older than I am...

Otto -'89 200 TQ - 20v swap into a 10v body to make the purists mad...
Project Thread - https://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58313&start=0
Veronica - '91 200 20v Avant - Lehmann Stage 1 - On hold for the moment.
The Blue Armadillo - '95 90q 2.crap - Rally car project in humble beginnings. 20v swap soon!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:19 am 

Freepetra wrote:
Don't quote me on this but 5psi sounds low to me, shouldn't the 3b be similar to the AAN and run about 12psi stock? I'm no expert but that's just my two cents

Yes Sir, you are correct. Boost should be around 12psi. 5psi indicates that there is a problem. Without any codes, I'm trying to determine if the symptoms I've described above could all be related.

I'm not ruling out a boost leak at this point, although it does seem strange that boost is limited at exactly 5psi.

Last night I hooked up the check valve that is normally connected in the 7a setup. That is the one that connects the carbon canister, intake manifold and carbon canister frequency valve. In the previous iteration of my setup, I had the carbon canister go directly to the freq valve behind the engine.

There is another smaller check valve with 3 connectors that has the word "motor" on it with an arrow pointing in one direction. I can only assume that this direction is towards the vacuum nipple on the motor and so that is where I have this part of the valve connected. The nipple on the opposite end is connected to the vacuum reservoir, and the nipple protruding from the side of the valve connects to the differential control, and some other shit (i can't remember).

1990 CQ 3b

Post subject: 3b conversion coupe - Now boosting to 12psi
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:27 am 

The car is now boosting to 12psi.

In short, my N75 valve was either leaking or not engaging. I didn't bother to test the old; just stuck in another valve (thanks Issam) and she blows!

These valves are normally open, but closed when the ECU wants to build boost. With it open, or leaking, boost is limited to WG spring pressure.

Case closed...

Stage 1 chips going in this week.

1990 CQ 3b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:30 pm 
I post, therefore I am

3B in my cq, 17+psi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNNdiXsQdKw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:15 pm 

How'd you do that?

1990 CQ 3b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:47 am 
I post, therefore I am

I have mtm stg1 chip (original) with 3bar sensor and turbo smart adjustable diverter valve
here is my build topic:
https://motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php? ... conversion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:00 pm 

Doesn't look like your thread. I get "Honda motorcycle..." when I click.

Why do they make a stg1 w/ 3bar MAP (seems odd for the boost level)? Was this typical?

1990 CQ 3b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:12 pm 
I post, therefore I am

because the host of this site doesnt like the links pointing to the PROJECTPAD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:22 pm 

varia wrote:
because the host of this site doesnt like the links pointing to the PROJECTPAD

turf war eh...funny

1990 CQ 3b

Post subject: 3b conversion coupe - Mo Money, Mo Problems
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:03 pm 

The stage 1 chipset was great! I have no idea how much hp I was making, but managed to do a 14.1 second quarter mile with a slipping clutch and stock (probably original) suspension (rockin' and a rollin'). I'd say high 13s would have been possible with a clutch.

After accumulating all the parts I needed to upgrade the turbo on the car and installing everything, I now have a whole new set of issues. Leaky fuel injectors were quickly replaced, but a starting problem persisted. Suspecting fuel wash, I poured a bit of oil into each cylinder and cycled the engine a few times before cranking. When I drained the oil from the oil pan there was 2- 3 liters of gas in it.

1. The engine starts now, but it cranks a ton before it does. Going to check compression and run a leak-down test. I'm hoping I just have a boost leak or a minor timing issue, but who bloody knows...
2. It sounds like shit when it's running, but idles pretty evenly. When I rev it, it hesitates, which is leading me to think I have a misfire, timing issue or major boost leak. Admittedly, I was not 100% happy about how the timing marks lined-up during the build, but it seemed at the time that if they were out they'd have to be way off since a tooth is actually quite a big angle difference. I adjusted fuel pressure to roughly 3bar (43psi) at idle with the vac lined pinched off. I noticed when I let the FPR take the 18-20psi vacuum it only drops a couple of psi (5-ish).
3. Major oil leak from turbo feed at the turbo and the block and possibly the return, but it's hard to tell because of all the oil leaking from the feed. I bought the flange to adapt to an -an line. I'll probably just go that route over the stock hard line. Although I bent everything to fit, I think the flange might not be sitting flat still.
4. Boost leaks. Fixed a couple loose clamps, then broke the nipple off the diverter valve when trying to track down leaks around the turbo. I think it may have been leaking anyway. At any rate I need a new one before I can do much else.

1990 CQ 3b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:45 pm 

1. Engine doesnt start anymore but...compression numbers are good: 175,190, 185, 190, 170. Maybe a bit of difference between each cylinder but i think i can keep the head on and pass on the leakdown test.

2. Assuming timing is good for now. Checked codes after cranking with no start and found a 2312 (coolant temp sensor). The bentley says this can cause issues with starting, idle and acceleration when the engine is cold. Im going to look into this tomorrow. While i dont want to be overly optimistic, this circuit does connect to a few other important sensors which may be what's keeping me from driving this thing.

Other things to note:
My ignition coil lead wire measures 2ohms instead of 1;
There is a fine crack in the distributor post that connects to the coil lead wire;
My new plugs are black;
Parts ordered;
Having trouble posting pics; and
It's getting cold outside.

1990 CQ 3b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:34 pm 

It's running again! The connector was broken at g62. One terminal would not stay in place and was retreating through the back end of the insert, shorting on the 2nd terminal. The car is full of brittle connectors. I think this is thereason for most of its electrical dysfunctions.

1990 CQ 3b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:26 am 
kickin' tires'n lightin fires

Congrats on a simple fix and for getting her running.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:04 pm 

Thanks! I'm pretty exited myself. Unfortunately, I still don't want to drive it until I fix the crazy oil leak and replace the Diverter Valve, but the problems and solutions are known and in the works.

While I wait for parts to come in I'm going to install the WB02 and finally hook-up the illumination for the boost gauge so that it can be read in the dark. As it stands, I only have fuses 12, 13, 20 and 21 installed (as well as the bottom row engine fuses). Rather than plug them all back in, I'm going to take a closer look at the systems I actually want in the car. There's a lot of unnecessary stuff like power mirrors, rodent control, climate control (not all of it of course), heated door locks, abs, a/c, etc., I'm gonna yank as much as I can with the aim of simplifying things. I'd like to re-install the radio though. Had to disconnect the power circuit due to a parasitic draw in it. As I mentioned, there are quite a few misc electrical issues, including intermittent partial taillight outages.

Can't wait to see how the ben swann stage 3+ chips work--finally! I've been stalling on this project for a few years now. If this car is reliable next summer I want to turbocharge my Sequoia :)

1990 CQ 3b

Post subject: Re: 3b conversion coupe - Almost finished? yeah right!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:03 pm 

As usual one step forward, two steps back. Took the car out for a test drive 2 days ago. Ended up calling a tow truck a kilometer away from my house. While I shouldn't have taken a chance with the dead battery, something else was the culprit. Shortly after getting the low coolant warning (air in the cooling system came out on the test run) for some explainable reason I decided to stomp on the gas pedal just to really push my luck. Turns out it wasn't my lucky day.

Anyway, the next day I topped up the water and checked my compression. Car starts and runs with the MAF sensor unplugged and the compression is around 180 in all cylinders (thank god). Car starts with the MAF plugged in, but idles rough and dies out if I blip the throttle. Since the car has un-vetted chips and a mis-matched turbo I'm not surprised that it's running like crap, but I still suspect something else is amiss.

I'm going to check the codes, but I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem.

Mike

1990 CQ 3b

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:44 pm 

I had to abandon the project for a little while to focus on other priorities, but I'm happy to report that the car is now running strong on Ben Swann's Stage 3+ chips with 440cc Bosch injectors and volvo k24. Lots of adventures over the past week wrenching by the road-side late at night due to "testing complications". However, I learned some valuable lessons: 1) a cab is cheaper than a tow truck, if you forget your tools at home; 2) but, it's best to keep them in the car along with a good jack.

The problem described above was caused by my intake plumbing coming apart, which created a massive air leak that the car didn't like. This, a dead battery, a misfire and some tired electrical contacts made was the only thing that really kept the car from running reasonably well.

Without having really tested the limits of acceleration, I can say that the car feels like it has more balls than it did with the ebay chip (north of 20 psi on the stock turbo, injectors and exhaust manifold). I'm still tender from this weekends mishaps to flat-out giv-er, but I had a great ride tonight and I'm hoping to get out to the drags this weekend or next to get a new timeslip.

If anyone has any experience with air fuel ratios, I'd like to hear your thoughts about a condition I'm experiencing. when the car idles, it progressively gets leaner over the course of 30 seconds or so up until about 16:1, then the car increases fueling, the idle speed picks-up a bit and my AFR goes down to 13:1, where the cycle repeats. I would think the car should be able to adapt more quickly to maintain a more constant fuel mix. Has anyone else noticed this with their car? Any idea if this is normal/acceptable? Could this be caused by irregular fuel pressure?

1990 CQ 3b

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:47 am 
I post, therefore I am

I would install a mechanical fuel pressure gauge and see whats going on.
In one case, there was a fitting (that previously was used on this setup for years without a problem) wasnt letting enough fuel to flow on higher rpm and leaned out.

we installed a bore score under the hood to see the gauge while driving the car :)

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:14 pm 

varia wrote:
I would install a mechanical fuel pressure gauge and see whats going on.
In one case, there was a fitting (that previously was used on this setup for years without a problem) wasnt letting enough fuel to flow on higher rpm and leaned out.

we installed a bore score under the hood to see the gauge while driving the car :)

I have a gauge installed already, so I guess I just need to find a way to see it while i'm driving--maybe strap my phone (or my wife's phone) to the motor and take a video. thanks for the tip!

1990 CQ 3b

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

Jump to:  

Information