motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

3b conversion coupe - Almost finished

Post subject: Re: 3b conversion coupe - Oiless
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:19 pm 
mach 2 with my hair on fire

Stayed up past my bedtime and gave er' last night. Removed the dash and cleaned up the wiring mess, replaced my steering return hose washers (bad leak, cause I forgo to install both washers the first time around), installed new gas pedal in place of stub, mended broken heater box, oh yeah and found out my oil pressure gauge was working just fine. The problem is my cams are toast! I never really drove the car (well then there was that one time I beat the crap out of it for an hour and lost the alt belt), mostly just ran it for 5-10 minutes to get it up to temp every month or two. Bottom line is I shouldn't have assumed a faulty gauge.

After reading through this post viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50994&hilit=oil+pump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, I now have a few things to try to get some oil pressure. But, it would be awesome if someone could hook me up with some exploded diagrams a la ETKA for these part systems.

Given that I ran the engine about a dozen times with no oil, [color=#BF0000][color=#000080]can anybody provied me with a best and worst case scenario in terms of the scope of the repair? Am I being naive thinking that I can slap some used cams in from a fellow keep along with some new lifters and be good as new?
[/color][/color]

Also, if anybody's got Dave Kase on their speedial, I could use some help to acquire a recharged bomb off of the man.

Here's the new charter followed by some pics of the car just before I put it away for the winter:

Attachments:
IMAG0972.jpg
IMAG0972.jpg [ 1.34 MiB | Viewed 3003 times ]
IMAG0973.jpg
IMAG0973.jpg [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 3003 times ]

1990 CQ 3b
 Post subject: Re: 3b conversion coupe - Oiless
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:28 pm 

A few characters...

Attachments:
File comment: In case anyone is wondering, this is how I tackled the return hose washers at the rack--took the whole damn interior out! ($3 in parts, and a visit to the chiropractor)
IMAG1094.jpg
IMAG1094.jpg [ 1.68 MiB | Viewed 3001 times ]
File comment: Does anyone have one of these inner fender shields? The one I need is for the right side (passenger side).
IMAG1085.jpg
IMAG1085.jpg [ 1.65 MiB | Viewed 3001 times ]
File comment: Getting the welder wired up finally tomorrow, so I can build a new crossmember and raise up the intercooler. It's not really that low, but must past the mechanical inspection.
IMAG1071.jpg
IMAG1071.jpg [ 1.7 MiB | Viewed 3001 times ]

1990 CQ 3b
 Post subject: Re: 3b conversion coupe - No Oil Pressure
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:20 am 

Found an older thread on oiling problem by the man himself:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=821&hilit=oil+pressure

Also, snapped some shots of the cam that I thought is pooched, maybe it isn't tha bad; I don't know anymore. I'm going to fix the oiling problem and run the car until it breaks. If I can make it through the summer without a rebuild, I'll be happy.

Attachments:
File comment: you be the judge, still look alright with the top on?
IMAG1102.jpg
IMAG1102.jpg [ 1.31 MiB | Viewed 2966 times ]
IMAG1126.jpg
IMAG1126.jpg [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 2966 times ]
IMAG1128.jpg
IMAG1128.jpg [ 969.92 KiB | Viewed 2966 times ]

1990 CQ 3b
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:10 am 

I'm still waiting for some parts to come in so I've decided to refinish a spare set of speedlines that I have. They're pretty nasty, but clean up well. I think the worst part about this wheel is the centre cap, but it helps to keep crap off the lugs and out of the hub.

Any suggestions on wheels paint? I'd like to clear over the bare metal, but I don't think there is a product that will do this. I'm also thinking about a grey with metal flake.

Attachments:
IMAG1132-1.jpg
IMAG1132-1.jpg [ 409.89 KiB | Viewed 2935 times ]
IMAG1134-2.jpg
IMAG1134-2.jpg [ 544.28 KiB | Viewed 2935 times ]

1990 CQ 3b
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:15 am 
I post, therefore I am

wheel clear

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_wheel-coating-clear-11-oz-aerosol-duplicolor_7141208-p

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007101555124

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:36 am 

Thanks, I think I can buy that here pretty easily. Can't find any goods pictures, but I'll go buy a couple of diff colours and maybe post a couple of options tomorrow.

After partially cleaning one wheel, my car is filthy--going to wait for good weather.

1990 CQ 3b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:00 pm 

Got to work this weekend...

Progress:
-Wheels painted (actually last week);
-lift gate supports installed;
-more undercoating, just to be safe;
-installed driver's side wheel housing liners (still need right rear);
-installed driver's side mirror (I can actually see a practical zone to my left now, not just up into the sky)
-installed brake bomb (i know it works, I can feel it!)
-deleted aux coolant pump
-installed original 200 oil cooler (mock-up, still need another bracket on the outside)
-installed 034 rad support
-installed intercooler and piping (mocked-up, as it still requires some elementary fabrication--going to try -out the welder finally! I'm going to test fit the bumper first to make sure that there are no clearance issues)
-replaced oil check valve
-re-glued headliner (not pretty, because I smoothed it out with my knuckles. I know I have a roller somewhere...)
-Spent hours trying to get oil pressure to no avail...

My Quest for Oil Pressure:

Celebrating the oil check valve ended quickly after its installation and the replacement of my preferred cooler, which I had suspected to be blocked, had no effect on my pressure issue. I filled a new filter with oil, as well as the cooler, removed plugs and cranked forever. The best I can get after 20 seconds of cranking is the needle moving from just below 0 to 0. I also tried feeding compressed air into the dip stick tunnel, but with my dog being all paws, I had no one to crank simultaneously. I did however, manage to break the oil temp sensor, which I removed to inspect. Quite a bit of oil came out too.

Insight is welcome here guys. I'd hate to have to take it to someone who actually knows what there doing.

1990 CQ 3b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:31 pm 

edit*

1990 CQ 3b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:01 pm 

Not sure why I'm having problems posting pictures. Let's try this again...

Wheels are repainted. I was going to use them in the winter, but I think they turned out half decent; so maybe summer.

Intake plumbing is much cleaner now, while still somewhat temporary. I think I'm only going to weld a couple sections, as the fit is tight and might be easier to remove later with some chewies. Also, really happy with core support. I thought there were fitment issues, but it fits perfectly--just snug is all.

with any luck the bumper will fit, even though the bumper shocks were 'tucked' rearward. I might be able to take a little of the aluminum bumper support, but I'd rather keep it in a stock-ish state. I have a lead on a 2.5" intercooler if need be; not so sure I need a 3".

Definitely happiest about the oil cooler mounting. Still needs a small bracket on this side. The other side is mounted to the inside of the framerail from two pre-existing stud provisions.

Still don't have oil pressure. What's the sure way to prime oil into this SOB?

1990 CQ 3b

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:05 am 

Oil Pressure:

Idled car while introducing compressed air (~20-40psi) into the dip stick tube and achieved oil in the head. Opening the oil fill cap with the engine running, I can now see oil "spitting" out. However, the gauge still reads zero, but I don't have an oil warning light.

I'm not sure what to think about this, but I'm happy that there is some oiling happening now.

Intercooler:

Tried welding some 1" square tube to the core support I bought from 034 and I ended up melting holes in the pieces I fabricated, when the arc was stable enough to do so. Couple of issues I recognized after doing some reading on the process: don't weld near magnets (such as the one I used to hold the small 1 3/4" piece to the support); use ceriated tungsten (rather than the thoriated and pure that I used); use high frequency on start only, not continuously. I'm going to practice a bit before I go for another try.

I had to knotch out the bumper support about 1 1/2" more and remove the sides beyond where it mounts to the bumper shocks.

Oil Cooler:

...not going to work in the existing spot. It needs to move inward, toward the engine about 3" to clear the inside of the bumper; and forward about same amount to clear the wheel housing liner.

Oh and the bucket list:
-replace front wheel bearings
-install lower moldings
-wheel alignment
-flush brake fluid and cooling system; refill PS fluid
-install rear interior panels and pillar trim
-install remaining wheel housing liners
-Safety inspection

Then there's going to be a new bucket list of fun items, which might also include the acquisition of a 4kQ.

1990 CQ 3b

Post subject: Re: 3b conversion coupe - Almost finished
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:32 am 

My buddy came over Friday night and helped weld up the intercooler support. My initial attempt at welding was pretty discouraging, but my friend gave me some good pointers and left his autodarkening helmet for me to use too--now I can see!

The welds aren't pretty, but they work. The support is sturdy as hell, which is good because I'm thinking of using it to hold the skid plate that's still a nascent idea.

The oil cooler is mounted to the frame rail with a bracket I also got to practice my welding on. Unfortunately I didn't check its position with the bumper on, so the air ducting is positioned a bit low in relation to the side vent in the bumper.

The only work left to do to get this baby back on the road is replacing a blinker bulb, both front wheel bearings (waiting for tool, and I have doubts on the compatibility of the parts I received), refilling the PS system with G004000M2, and flushing the cooling system and refilling with pink stuff.

Attachments:
IMAG1234.jpg
IMAG1234.jpg [ 1.7 MiB | Viewed 2733 times ]
IMAG1235-1.jpg
IMAG1235-1.jpg [ 1.41 MiB | Viewed 2733 times ]

1990 CQ 3b
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:05 pm 

Finally got the car outside to test for leaks. So far... so good...so what? It's been raining so much here lately it reminds me of Vancouver (without the eyepopping panorama).

Some of the sanding dust is seeping out; could be a good thing, bad thing, I don't care anymore...

Attachments:
IMAG1259-1.jpg
IMAG1259-1.jpg [ 1.31 MiB | Viewed 2653 times ]

1990 CQ 3b
 Post subject: Re: 3b conversion coupe - Parked
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:17 pm 

Ok, I still need a windshield, all of the expensive trim that goes with it and a new battery, but I think that's it.

In the meantime, I'm going to invest some time into building an airbox that will keep the heat out of my intake and draw air from somewhere a little cooler than directly beside the turbo. As it stands, I have some galvanized steel in place to act as a heat shield and keep the air filter from banging around excessively and exerting unnecessary forces on the 20+ year old rubber intake pipe. I also got a little carried away with the high temp ceramic paint :hide:

The heat shield is going to stay in place since it provides some support, but I'm going to add some additional material such as heat shield mat to actually keep the heat out. I've cut open the stock 7a filter housing with the aim of combining the existing flange with a new enclosure. That way I can relocate the outgoing tube to accommodate the stock placement of the MAF sensor and adjoining hoses. I really think that fiberglass or carbon fiber is the best route, although I would like an excuse to use the welder--you know to justify the investment.

Attachments:
File comment: might as well make everything the same colour, saves masking :)
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 1.8 MiB | Viewed 2534 times ]

1990 CQ 3b
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:23 pm 
I post, therefore I am

can you even find a motor in there?!?!

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007101555124

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:33 pm 

I think it's the silver thingy. I think I'm going to mask a small strip on the coolant and brake fluid reservoirs (just enough to read the level) and finish the job.

1990 CQ 3b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:22 pm 
kickin' tires'n lightin fires

Love the engine bay. Looks very stock like and not all in your face!

McBoost.comMA70.COMFB: DanMcBoostPSN: DanMcBoost

Audis: ● 04 A8L ● 99 A6A ● 97 A8Q ● 91 200 QTA ● 90 CQ ● 85 4000Q
Supras:88T87T87T85P
Other:06 Sequoia ● 04 Evo8 ● 91 Celica All-Trac ● 90 JDM MR2 GT ● 78 Toyota Pickup

death 4kqt wrote:
i was glancing through the pics and saw some girl hiked up on heels in a short skirt, my very first thought was "oh, McBoost was there" :lol:

Profile Facebook 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:08 am 

i love the paint job. so so so much. brilliant black is exactly how it sounds haha. and i like the flat black engine bay as well.

you just need some 1 piece b3 headlights now <3

or rs2 lights and one of my custom grills <3<3<3

Titan 1991 220v: To kill or not to kill?
Black 11' Touareg TDI: Daily / Hauler
Black 1986 Yamaha Fazer: Custom Naked/Cafe bike

Profile Facebook 
 Post subject: Re: 3b conversion coupe -
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:22 pm 

frostyflax17 wrote:
i love the paint job. so so so much. brilliant black is exactly how it sounds haha. and i like the flat black engine bay as well.

you just need some 1 piece b3 headlights now <3

or rs2 lights and one of my custom grills <3<3<3

When the time comes, I'm going to go with the one-piece b3 lamps. I missed some for sale here back in the winter and there used to be a set on eeb eh, but I can't seem to find another set. I like the custom grill idea too; maybe a nissan badge to throw people off.

I just ordered windshield--no trim (I'm living dangerously). GenAudi parts listed them, but they wrote me back saying they didn't have any left, so I got one from world impex for a little more. As soon as I install this thing I'm updating my ins policy to cover it, because the next time around it will probably cost me double.

I went for a little spin late last night :). Things I 've noticed though: I have to change another wheel bearing, my ps pump makes a rattling noise, the rack grones like an old man having an orgasm, and the alignment is way off. Aside from that, it was a lot of fun. The next batch of parts will be in next week and I might wait until the weekend to install them, but things are closing up.

Also, If anyone is interested in trading a ben swan 2.5 Bar chipset for the 3Bar kit I have let me know. I would like to have stage one right now, rather than stage 2 next year.

1990 CQ 3b

Post subject: Re: 3b conversion coupe - On the Road Again!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:41 pm 

Went for safety today and finally past. They made me put the Speedlines back on, because the OZ's were rubbing on the spring perches in the rear. The car actually feels more maneuverable, but doesn't bite as much. I think I'm going to go with a 215 instead of the 235's for now. The car only has stock hp at the moment (217 if I'm lucky; and I'm not).

I also had to change the subframe bushings in the front, so I took the opportunity to install the aluminum ones from 034--no complaints here. They're easy to install and the car feels solid in the front with no harshness. I plan on doing the same job on the rear.

Anyway, I'm going to drive this sob for a bit and see what else breaks. When things stop breaking it will be time for more powa!

1990 CQ 3b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:36 am 
kickin' tires'n lightin fires

Dr.Strangelove wrote:
Anyway, I'm going to drive this sob for a bit and see what else breaks. When things stop breaking it will be time for more powa!

:woowoo:

What was the oil pressure problem solution?

https://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56497
"Blog" (NLA)
https://thisisthedailyrad.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:58 am 

Rallyfreak202 wrote:
Dr.Strangelove wrote:

:woowoo:

What was the oil pressure problem solution?

The problem was, and is, a combination of things really. What I did was prime the system (fill the oil cooler and turbo lines), and blew compressed air in through the dip stick tube. After doing this I noticed healthy amounts of oil in the head by looking in through the oil fill cap. The gauge still reads zero and I have taken the risk of driving the car regardless. I haven't noticed any running problems, so I've ssumed that the gauge sender is at fault (added to tmy bucket list).

1990 CQ 3b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:58 pm 
I sprinkle rubber on my Cherios

Hey Mike,

Car is looking good! I somehow missed the last couple pages of updates until now. Wanna paint my car?? :P

Nice grill btw!

Barry

1988 BMW 530i (E34)
1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro - sold
2008 Mazdaspeed3 - sold
1990 Audi Coupe Quattro - sold
1990 Audi 90q 20vT - retired
1987 Honda Prelude Si - sold
Ottawa, Ontario

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:50 am 

Hey Barry, let's talk on Sunday. I'm sure the guy who rented me the booth would do it again. I'll see if I can find his number.

1990 CQ 3b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:13 pm 
I sprinkle rubber on my Cherios

As much as I'd love a fresh coat of lago on the old girl, unfortunately I was only pulling your leg. If money frees up in the next year or so I'll make sure to drop you a line.

I just PM'ed Emil that we should try and set up a little Ottawa meet. I'll get in touch with my UrS6 buddy and see what he's up to in the near future..

1988 BMW 530i (E34)
1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro - sold
2008 Mazdaspeed3 - sold
1990 Audi Coupe Quattro - sold
1990 Audi 90q 20vT - retired
1987 Honda Prelude Si - sold
Ottawa, Ontario

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:40 pm 

q20v wrote:
As much as I'd love a fresh coat of lago on the old girl, unfortunately I was only pulling your leg. If money frees up in the next year or so I'll make sure to drop you a line.

I just PM'ed Emil that we should try and set up a little Ottawa meet. I'll get in touch with my UrS6 buddy and see what he's up to in the near future..

Cool, let me know. I sent you my number via pm.

1990 CQ 3b

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

Jump to:  

Information