motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Project: my first 20v

Post subject: Re: Project: my first 20v
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:26 pm 
I post, therefore I am

Finding the gaskets wasn't hard, I just had to order a complete set to get the one I needed.

Dallastown, PA
1991 Audi 80 quattro (10vt project)
1991 Audi Coupe Quattro (my first 20v)
2007 Mitsubishi Raider(Dakota in disguise)
2019 Chevy Cruse Hatchback RS (wife's new ride)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:37 pm 
I sprinkle rubber on my Cherios

jbrentd wrote:
DE80q wrote:
As far as the trunk water goes, I think it might be the rear wiper. The main water infiltration came from the bad window regulator on the PS. The window had been blocked up, but not far enough to completely close the window.

gotcha...I think mine is coming in from the firewall area on the passenger side.

There is a plastic surround in that area on the engine side, it can leak around this so worth removing and resealing.

I removed mine a while ago as I have a euro one to switch mine out for so thought i'd do it when I switch the ac for the later one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:51 am 
mach 2 with my hair on fire

BTW, I had the late manifold (Bosch ISV) with bag of snakes header.
No issues with fit, just needed to drill/tap couple of holes in the intake for the shield. All good.

Attachments:
DSC03707.JPG
DSC03707.JPG [ 360.73 KiB | Viewed 2378 times ]

83 80 q - Euro 2-door!!
85 Ur-q - Euro with 3B
93 90 quattro - S2 Limo copy
93 80q Avant - 2.5TDI, 6-speed in the works
04 A4q avant 1.8T USP 6-speed
04 A4q avant 3.0 USP 6-speed
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:03 am 
I post, therefore I am

That's pretty much what I did Martin. I set it up in the mill, machined the bosses flat and and then drilled and tapped. Came out quite nicely, so whenever I get around to putting the engine back together and in the car, that will look good.

I still need to find an isv mount bracket.

Dallastown, PA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:24 am 
I post, therefore I am

A little of a late update. I wanted to get the car titled in my name before the end of 2019. So because it was an out of state title, and I couldn't have the car present at time of transfer, I had to get an inspection mechanic friend of mine to fill out a VIN verification form. With that done, I went to my local tag joint and got it titled and tagged in my name on 12/29. All went smoothly, and I should have my title in had sometime this week.

With that said, I figured it was a good time to start working on it again. I pulled the inner metal timing covers from the engine I got from Tim, as the ones from the original engine were bent up a little. I'll get those cleaned up and install soon. Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to work on it with the holiday and the family. I'm hoping this coming weekend I'll be able to get the engine back together. Then I'll weld the trunk area so there is no longer any holes in it...

Dallastown, PA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:47 pm 

Good to hear you are still progressing on yours, I need to get both my cq and my 944 titles swapped into my name, the 944 I've heard will be a bit harder as I have the title but not the bill of sale so need to make a trip to the dmv about it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:31 am 
I post, therefore I am

I had very high ambitions for this weekend. Rust repair in the trunk, clean the sedan 01A, and put the 7A back together...

I went out to properly inspect the rust hole. Now it looks like this!

The spot welds on the right side are actually rusted out! The panel pushed down kind of easily. So now I have to cut out a much larger portion, and make a much larger repair panel. Luckily, I kept the fenders from the parts 80q, so one will be sacrificed to make the repair panel.

Wish me luck!

Dallastown, PA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:31 am 
I post, therefore I am

So this got way worse in a hurry!

The pic is from under the car on the PS trunk area where the little bucket thing goes. It's turning into Swiss cheese, and I'm beginning to think the rest of the car might be just as bad...

What would you guys do? I'm beginning to lean towards parting this thing out, but I really didn't want to.

Dallastown, PA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:36 pm 
kickin' tires'n lightin fires

Man, that’s a tough one. It looked so promising...good to decent paint (hard to tell exactly), good color combo, etc. But it’s hard to spend a ton of time and and energy on stuff when you know you’ll always be wondering what kind of issues like that are still hiding.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:44 am 
I post, therefore I am

I have made the decision to keep moving forward with the car. I'm going to cut out the rotted area, and make up some patch panels to fit it from an old shelving unit I have. I'm going to try to keep it as close to the correct shape as I can, but with no real panel fitment experience, we will see what happens.

Dallastown, PA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:21 pm 

Shame to see the rust, I had a couple of cq's in the uk that had issues in that spot. Over here its not as easy to pick up cq's in good condition so if the rest is good it will be worth keeping going.

I might have to check mine out, I know it has issues on the rear wings but its one of them things at least I know what is there rather than buying another and ending up with the same or more issues.

There is also the wide arch option ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:32 am 
I post, therefore I am

So last night, I took off work and made a trip to NJ. Was planning the trip for this morning, but with the weather we are expecting today, the decision was made.

In little egg harbor NJ, I picked up a front subframe, vac booster, muffler and a random 10v alt that I will have tested for a spare on my other car. Thanks Joel!

So this morning I unloaded the parts from the car before the snow started. Now I had a chance to inspect them fully. The front subframe is in good condition. It's far from perfect, but it's not falling apart like the one currently on the car. The booster assembly looks really good from above the master cylinder, under it is a different story. It's not bad, but the master obviously leaked at some point, and is now runsted below it. Nothing terrible, I'll clean it up, and hit it with some paint. The muffler is a walker unit, and is in surprisingly good shape. Crusty around the welds, but I'll clean them up and splash more paint on them. Unfortunately someone has cut off the flange and flair, and U clamped on a welded up pipe to it. I may just weld a V band on it back there.

That's enough for now, going out in a little when the garage warms up to start cutting out the nasty area in the trunk. Hopefully post pics later.

Dallastown, PA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:54 am 
kickin' tires'n lightin fires

Glad to hear you’ve decided to fix it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:59 am 
I post, therefore I am

It's not like finding another will be "easy", and with the rest seemingly in good shape, I figured why not.

Dallastown, PA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:01 pm 

I don't know if its just US cars or cars from the east coast/north east in particular but I don't think out of the fifty or so audi's i've owned over the years i've yet to see a front subframe really bad past the point of surface rust. I saw a picture on fb of one recently that someone had removed and it was completely snapped in two.

My cq came with a stainless exhaust on it, from the little bit of driving/moving it around that I have done it doesn't sound too bad but not sure if it will stay on the car or need to be swapped if/when I do an engine swap on the car.

at some point I will inspect more of mine to check the body more closely but at the moment its just stored. If another body comes up in better condition at a good price i'll get that and swap anything over off mine I might want and get rid of the shell.

When do you think you will start building up the engine so you can start it up?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:45 pm 
I post, therefore I am

I'm honestly not sure yet. I have to drop the entire drive line so I can replace both subframes, prop shaft(very rusty also), swap the sedan transmission in, convert to vac booster, and repair all the rust I find. That's just the begging. The suspension components are just as rusty as the subframes, so I'll be swapping all that with the much better spares I have on the shelf. Lots of work to do, that wasn't exactly planned for.

I have a bad feeling that there is quite a bit more money I have to spend on parts to get the car on the road again, so might as well figure everything out now, instead of rushing to get the engine in to hear it run, or move it.

Dallastown, PA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:54 pm 

DE80q wrote:
I'm honestly not sure yet. I have to drop the entire drive line so I can replace both subframes, prop shaft(very rusty also), swap the sedan transmission in, convert to vac booster, and repair all the rust I find. That's just the begging. The suspension components are just as rusty as the subframes, so I'll be swapping all that with the much better spares I have on the shelf. Lots of work to do, that wasn't exactly planned for.

I have a bad feeling that there is quite a bit more money I have to spend on parts to get the car on the road again, so might as well figure everything out now, instead of rushing to get the engine in to hear it run, or move it.

If you have a place to park the car to work on without needing to move it anytime soon i'd suggest getting either the front/back up putting stands under it and then if its the rear then a jack under the diff, undo the prop bolts and remove cables etc then undo the subframe bolts/suspension top bolts and drop the lot and drag it out the car on the jack so you can work on it, front is a little harder but not the end of the world.

Its a pita the amount you can spend on these cars and still not be at the end of the list, I've got loads of spares for mine but have been thinking of buying an s2 i've heard about so I'm at a cross-roads currently.

While you have the head off the engine i'd suggest removing the engine/box as one piece and working on it off the car. Easiest way to swap the box.

The bracket for the arms on the rack i'd swap (or upgrade) and swap the inner bushes on the arms for upgraded while you have access.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:40 am 
I post, therefore I am

That's pretty much what I have been thinking. It's already this far apart, why start putting things back on, when so much more has to come off? It's sitting in my garage with no real reason to move it for now, so we shall see what happens.

Dallastown, PA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:39 am 
I post, therefore I am

Well, here goes nothing! About an hour ago, I decided "It is time!". So I went out to the garage, cleaned up behind the coupe, and started.

First I hung a large piece of fire felt like a curtain to cover the gas tank, and keep everything else forward clean.

I then figured out where the rust had totally rotted the steel, and cut out a large area. I probably cut out more than needed, but that's ok. I'll fill it in with good, not rusty steel.

Now the wife wants to go out for lunch, we are kidless this weekend, so I have to get cleaned up. I'll start on the patch panel when I get back.

Dallastown, PA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:46 am 
I post, therefore I am

I have been making progress on this over the week. A couple hours here and there, so nothing is going very fast. I did get most of the hole closed up though. I split into 2 panels, and tacked them into place.

Not perfect, but they fit decently. I have a spot that I need to make a weirdly shaped piece for and weld it in. Here is after a lot more welding. Not going to win any awards, but it's solid enough.

I'm going to run a patch from the corner where the third patch panel is still needed up towards the front about 6". It looks weak in that area, and I'd rather do it now then have a random hole show up later.

Dallastown, PA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:42 am 
I post, therefore I am

Spent a couple hours in the garage age this morning. Made the last patch panel, and welder it in!

Only thing left is weld on the muter mount hook. After that was done, I went around scrubbing all the other rusty looking area, then hit it with with rust converting paint.

Came out ok. Ill clean up the welded area, and seam seal them. Then a good coating of undercoat should keep it good for a long time!

Dallastown, PA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:19 am 
Chirping second

That looks quite nice if im being honest. Probably will barely be able to tell after a few coats of undercoat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:31 pm 
Stuck in first

Loved it, looks awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:22 pm 
I post, therefore I am

Made some significant progress today. Engine is mostly assembled.

Dallastown, PA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:21 am 
I post, therefore I am

Putting the BOS header on, and have a couple questions.

The gaskets have a metal side to them. Does that go to the head, or to the manifold?

Second, do I need the really thick washers for the BOS header?

Third, what is the torque spec for the lock nuts?

Any help would be great, thanks

Dallastown, PA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

Jump to:  

Information