motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

87 4k aan swap

Post subject: Re: 87 4k aan swap
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:03 pm 
kickin' tires'n lightin fires

Ok so the advantage to the CQ rack is it can handle higher pressure, for it. I’ve used cq rack with vac booster in the past and the supply and return from the rack to the booster can be tied together to make a loop.
I’ve seen people use those pumps but they somehow took one of the pistons out of the inside , there are threads here somewhere about it

Current:
1983 Ur Quattro, White/Mocha. https://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=78665
1983 Ur Quattro, Blue/Zebra 10V

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:28 pm 
I sprinkle rubber on my Cherios

I'm not familiar with the aan setup but if I can I would use a cq pump and rack. Maybe able to use the stock 4k hoses as well. I'd rather not modify a pump which can be sold and no need to loop any hoses. I like to keep as factory stock as possible.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:32 pm 

The AAN is high pressure pump as well so probably wouldn’t want to use it . And as you mentioned I didn’t want to modify the pump.
But my question is why not use all 4K stuff if it’s already In his car . 4K rack and 4K pump

Current:
1983 Ur Quattro, White/Mocha. https://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=78665

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:41 pm 

You would have to be able to attach the 4k pump onto the aan somehow. With my 3b setup I was able to use the iroz adapter.

I'm not familiar with the aan stuff so I cant offer mounting suggestions.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:52 pm 

quattrofan wrote:
You would have to be able to attach the 4k pump onto the aan somehow. With my 3b setup I was able to use the iroz adapter.

Oh ok. When I get a chance I will look at the pumps and brackets I have at home and see if I can find any of the stuff .
On the lines I had high pressure side made at a hydraulic shop and used a swivel fitting to go 45 Deg out and jog around the radiator

Current:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:12 pm 

Afterthought wrote:
quattrofan wrote:

Oh ok. When I get a chance I will look at the pumps and brackets I have at home and see if I can find any of the stuff .
On the lines I had high pressure side made at a hydraulic shop and used a swivel fitting to go 45 Deg out and jog around the radiator

Afterthought
I'm going to send u a pm on another subject

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:56 pm 
Stuck in first

quattrofan wrote:
Afterthought wrote:
MtnmanMitch wrote:

for the power steering you just used the stock low pressure 4k pump with a aan pulley?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I’ve done this a couple different ways but it’s been years , like I sold the last car I did with serpentine belt setup in like 2015.
From looking at my notes the last time I did it and it was basically bolt in without any fab I used the pump I had laying around from a 1995 90 Quattro V6. It fit into the AAN bracket without any issue. I’m pretty sure the pulley can be swapped too , but I’m not remembering for sure if the 4000 pump fits in the AAN bracket as I ended up making my own brackets last time .
When I get done with work in few days I will see if I can find any of the stuff in my shop

Yes, u can use the v6 pump since it is the same mounting as the later pumps vs the older 4k style. However you are still using a 100bar pump on a 75bar rack. People have done this and not blow seals. I rather err on the side of pre aution and not deal with replacing a rack once the engine is in the car. I would update the rack as well. I'm sure you can also use a cq pump as well. I would of done this for my urq except that I had a rebuilt stock rack, several 4k pumps and the iroz pump bracket.
Yeah the car has over 250k so it could use a new rack so I'm gonna look into if a cq or 90 rack would work, because ultimately then I can just keep the aan pump I have with all its brackets.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:01 pm 

That makes sense .
Only thing I had to do to run vac booster with b3 rack was tie those two lines together into a continuous loop , the supply and the return for the brake bomb . If you had the rack out the car maybe there is a cleaner way to do it like plug the holes

Current:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:12 pm 

Afterthought wrote:
That makes sense .
Only thing I had to do to run vac booster with b3 rack was tie those two lines together into a continuous loop , the supply and the return for the brake bomb . If you had the rack out the car maybe there is a cleaner way to do it like plug the holes

If you uses a 7a pump then just use your 4k setup. 2 lines to each with the reservoir inbetween.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:55 pm 
Stuck in first

Good looking 4k! Where are you located? kinda looks like my neck of the woods. (Montana)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:22 pm 
Stuck in first

MT Quattro wrote:
Good looking 4k! Where are you located? kinda looks like my neck of the woods. (Montana)
Thank you, I'm down in renton Washington, I visit darby pretty often though, love it up there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:17 am 
Stuck in first

Nice man! Sadly I dont get too see too many old school Audis up in my area. Only a couple guys I know of that are actual enthusiasts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:30 pm 
Redline?

Im probably one of those MT guys ;)

OP nice project!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:34 pm 
Stuck in first

Alright well it's been far to long since I've worked on the 4k, unfortunately not a lot to update, but I figured I'd fire the thread back up since I'm getting back to it.

I finally started to strip the head down to get ready to send it to a machine shop, unfortunately I found some not so good things. As you can see on cylinder 2 and 3 the valves have a good amount of rust, I believe this came from where I was storing the head the roof started leaking pretty bad, luckily i had check on it before to long and brought it inside, I had planned on getting all new valves regardless but this definitely solidifies that decision.

On the brighter side I didnt notice until today when I was struggling to remove the exhaust manifold that this engine actually came with a rs2 manifold, my question is I noticed the bottom right stud to the turbo has been moved down, not sure what modification that was for. I'll have some pics below.

Also picked up a few things for the accessory side of things so really just need to track down a aan belt pulley and vibration damper.

Hopefully I can keep taking advantage of this time off work to keep tinkering, at least until the budget runs out, dying to tear into the 4k and start cleaning up the engine bay and what not, but trying to be patient seeing as though the car still drives kind of. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:49 pm 

That’s an eBay RS2 manifold. Plenty of cracks in it already it looks like. Worth buying a new one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:02 pm 
Stuck in first

blackghost wrote:
That’s an eBay RS2 manifold. Plenty of cracks in it already it looks like. Worth buying a new one.
Damn unfortunate but at least not much of a loss, now I'm going to be tempted to go tubular, or just something t3 in general.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:19 pm 
Stuck in first

I have new Wagner rs2 evo in t3, you serious about t3 manifold? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:56 am 

MtnmanMitch wrote:
blackghost wrote:
Damn unfortunate but at least not much of a loss, now I'm going to be tempted to go tubular, or just something t3 in general.

There's a tubular T3 in the classifieds right now.

Nice 4K, glad to see you're back at it!

Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

Jump to:  

Information