motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

Documenting my Coupe Quattro build

Post subject: Documenting my Coupe Quattro build
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:58 am 
Stuck in first

Hey all, new member to the forum but long time guest/thread surfer. Figured I would throw together a thread of my Coupe Quattro build as I go along. So first things first, I have always loved S2 coupes/CQ but just never had the funds or could find one as any older Audi can be hard to find here in Montana. While owning my B5 S4 I was in the search for wheels and came into contact with a gentleman who had a set I was interested in buying. Well come to find out he also owns a 4kQ, Coupe Gt (Sport Quatt project) and of course a pearl white CQ. We met up and I purchased the wheels, but my mind was now set on that CQ. :D I hounded him for quite some time until he finally shot me a message and said he was selling the coupe but of course I had absolutely no money at the time. He was generous enough to let me do a down payment and shovel him money when I could, and a couple months later I made the trip to go pick up the car! So here are a few pictures of when I went down initially to look at the car and decide if I wanted to buy it..... in reality just talking myself into it more and justifying it to my girlfriend, now wife. Image Image Image Image Image

As I previouisly said, then came back a few months later to load up the car and take it home! Spent about a year enjoying the car until the clutch slave went out and then the car was inop for awhile. Image Image Image
While paying off a few bills and fixing the house that we just moved into my now friend who sold me the coupe hit me up saying he knows a guy with a good donor URS4 that was pretty rough but good runner for the coupe! Hit up the guy and $1800 later I now had my donor car to make the coupe a lot more fun. Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: Documenting my Coupe Quattro build
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:01 am 
I post, therefore I am

Very nice! i recall seeing that CQ on here, i really liked the work he did on the door cards

3x '95 90 quattro - 83 URQ - 99 B5 A4 Avant - 82 coupe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:12 am 
Stuck in first

I began pulling the engine and wiring harness (which the harness is by far the worst I have ever done :frustrated: Image Image Image Image Image

While the car has been sitting i had a good friend tint the tails, and yes my garage is an absolute fucking mess. we just moved in and all the random crap keeps magically ending up in the garage.... imagine that. Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:48 am 
Stuck in first

Hybrid_Hatch wrote:
Very nice! i recall seeing that CQ on here, i really liked the work he did on the door cards

Yeah he did a damn good job! Now i just need to do the headliner and pillar trims to get rid of the tan and match the fancy door cards lol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:46 am 
I sprinkle rubber on my Cherios

Where in MT are you at? I'm in Bozo and it's nice to see another nostalgic quattro fan! Here's my Coupe awaiting a transplant:
ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:45 pm 
Stuck in first

SC_09iduA wrote:
Where in MT are you at? I'm in Bozo and it's nice to see another nostalgic quattro fan! Here's my Coupe awaiting a transplant:
ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I am in Great Falls! Bought my CQ out of bozeman actually! haha great looking car by the way! Super cool to see some other old school quattros here let alone another CQ. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:37 am 
kickin' tires'n lightin fires

Welcome to MG...from another pearly CQ owner. Glad you posted up your project. Looks like a nice one and I jealous of the black interior. I hear you on the garage clutter, mine is currently being used as short term storage for my college-aged son's furniture.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:09 pm 
Stuck in first

jbrentd wrote:
Welcome to MG...from another pearly CQ owner. Glad you posted up your project. Looks like a nice one and I jealous of the black interior. I hear you on the garage clutter, mine is currently being used as short term storage for my college-aged son's furniture.

Yeah i feel your pain lol we moved out of our apartment and into the house, shortly thereafter my wife thought the garage could just become a catch-all for anything she found unworthy of being in the house. On the bright side I stood my ground and fought her for the garage space and then we ended up selling our 2017 jetta and got her into a '13 Denali half ton, so now she HAS to park outside :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:02 am 
Stuck in first

Little update since life has been a little bit crazy. Purchased a b4 front support setup for the coupe from a gentleman off of the small chassis facebook page. cleaned it up a bit and just quickly bolted it to my car to check it all out! He also tossed in a completely MINT set of b3/b4 fog lights :D I will post some pictures soon. I also started to tear apart the dash to start wiring the car, hoping to get that done soon-ish so i can get the engine stabbed in and start with the exhaust, intercooler setup, and other little bits.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:58 am 
I sprinkle rubber on my Cherios

Keep the updates coming!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:58 am 
Stuck in first

Well I started to drop the engine in last night just so i can mock up the intercooler setup and start on the exhaust work, but of course working on it late I was so tired that I forgot to swap the engine brackets from the 7a to the AAN so will have to do that tomorrow after work. Image
And I started to clean up the factory waste gate and going to get the cap powdercoated. Had a question though, any of you guys coat the exhaust manifold/turbo exhaust housing/wastegate housing with anything? Ceramic professionally done or do the spray can versions work fairly well?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:53 pm 

Nice progress. I started a swap on my sedan the beginning of this year and it looks like you making quick work it.
How mines sit right now. Still have some ways to go before im able to do the first start up Image

Sent from my LM-X220PM using Tapatalk

1990 90q 20v: Parted out/ junked RIP
1982 Honda v45
X2 1995 S6 part cars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:23 pm 
I post, therefore I am

no radiator?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:52 pm 

varia wrote:
no radiator?
curious to see what route is taken for the radiator. In my case I went an unusual route just to see how bad/good it works as im not to big a fan of the angled radiator. But currently I pulled my unit out to do some stuff so its not in the way.

1982 Honda v45
X2 1995 S6 part cars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:43 pm 
Stuck in first

Speedyurs4 wrote:
varia wrote:
no radiator?
curious to see what route is taken for the radiator. In my case I went an unusual route just to see how bad/good it works as im not to big a fan of the angled radiator. But currently I pulled my unit out to do some stuff so its not in the way.

What radiator solution you running? I thought about running a performance Honda half size rad to see how it works/fits. I live in Montana so temps here don't usually get too crazy. And I started pulling my engine about February so its coming along decent. Just picked up two more Audis this weekend so now im motivated to really getting this thing running so i can work on the others as well!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:44 pm 

Nicee check my thread if ya want it is the "Mapi 90" one. Basically a "budget" build and trying to use things i already have lol. As for the rad set up i went with a civic half rad off of amazon as it was a cheap way to testing it out. It actually fits decent. i got some 12 in fans on order im thinking for doin a dual fan set up on push one pull and see how it goes. Image

1982 Honda v45
X2 1995 S6 part cars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:55 am 
Stuck in first

Thats pretty much what I wanted to do! Thinking of testing out a buddies mishimoto honda half size and then throw some e fans on it and see how it does. gotta be better than tilting and turning a oem radiator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:04 am 

MT Quattro wrote:
Thats pretty much what I wanted to do! Thinking of testing out a buddies mishimoto honda half size and then throw some e fans on it and see how it does. gotta be better than tilting and turning a oem radiator
Ya mishimoto would probably be better then a China unit lol but if this works out i want to get a thicker core.

1982 Honda v45
X2 1995 S6 part cars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:22 am 
I post, therefore I am

none of these will be sufficient enough

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:14 pm 
Stuck in first

varia wrote:
none of these will be sufficient enough

Why do you say that? Have you tried to run one?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:44 pm 
mach 2 with my hair on fire

My nephew's converted coupe came with a small honda radiator and a small fan...which resulted in a warped head...Varia is right. You need a larger cooling area with a turbo charged engine then an NA one, and the side mounted Audi radiator is not going to move air with no flow behind it - you are fighting against a hi pressure wall. (firewall). Now his Coupe has a double core aluminum small chassis radiator with a big 500w Audi RS2 style fan, and ducting

1991 Coupe Q Silver/Black (perpetual eS2 project)
1991 Coupe Q Silver/Platinum
1991 Coupe Q Pearl/Black Shell

http://www.naaclub.org

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:47 pm 
Stuck in first

audiPete wrote:
My nephew's converted coupe came with a small honda radiator and a small fan...which resulted in a warped head...Varia is right. You need a larger cooling area with a turbo charged engine then an NA one, and the side mounted Audi radiator is not going to move air with no flow behind it - you are fighting against a hi pressure wall. (firewall). Now his Coupe has a double core aluminum small chassis radiator with a big 500w Audi RS2 style fan, and ducting

Where did he get the rad from? been looking but all i can find is an oem one (which probably would work just fine but im trying to keep the aan manifold.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:54 pm 
mach 2 with my hair on fire

Winner racing on ebay, Chinese but better made than Ron Davis...Varia has the specifics, as you want one without the outlet for the secondary radiator

1991 Coupe Q Silver/Black (perpetual eS2 project)
1991 Coupe Q Silver/Platinum
1991 Coupe Q Pearl/Black Shell

http://www.naaclub.org

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:54 pm 

audiPete wrote:
Winner racing on ebay, Chinese but better made than Ron Davis...Varia has the specifics, as you want one without the outlet for the secondary radiator
Varia said the same on my thread with a link referring to you(audipete) on using honda rads but all i saw was talk of the ron davis leaky units and stuff but I didnt see a post on the honda half rads. I was using what i have on hand for the most part. Do you have any pics of your reletives set up as it would be helpful to MT and I. I figured running a push and pull fan with some shrouding or air dams would of sufficed.

1982 Honda v45
X2 1995 S6 part cars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:30 pm 
I post, therefore I am

Indeed, i was refereeing to Mr. Schulz (audipete) nephew's radiator.
But i believe ive seen similar small radiator setup somewhere else too and they had problem with this aan intaka/undersized radiator combo.

I had this custom winner racing radiator with the rs2 shroud and 500w fan, I drove my car many times in the hot summer in Angeles Crest (Los angeles, 8K feet) without any problem.

Even before that, ppl tried to do budget build (nothing wrong with that) and used aan intake.

Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

Jump to:  

Information