motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

1991 Audi ersatz S2 Conversion Project

Post subject: 1991 Audi ersatz S2 Conversion Project
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:18 pm 
mach 2 with my hair on fire

1991 Coupe Quattro S2 Conversion:

This car has been sold.

2011:

Quick Build Specs:
3B Engine Stock Internals Head/Block
ARP Head Studs/MLS Gasket
IA Stage III+ 277hp Chipset
1.9 Bar Wastegate Spring
Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel
ABY Intake Manifold
ABY Intercooler/X-member
STR Exhaust Manifold
Spec Stage 3 Clutch
500W Fan Upgrade
3" V-banded turbo back SS exhaust w/ race cat
S2 Interior Mods
Manual Climate Unit
H&R Springs
Bilstein Sport Dampers
Poly Bushings
Alloy Subframe Mounts
Density Line Engine/Trans. Mounts
S2 Rear Bumper
Rieger RS2 Style ABS Front Bumper
Euro Licence Plate Surround
RS2 Ellipsoids
RS2 Side Mirrors
AC Delete
Pro-Con Ten Delete
S2 Badges

On the Shelves...:
Strut Brace Mounts
HID/Relays for Lights
Keyless Entry
5 lug hubs
...URQ...

--------------------------------Original post content--------------------------------------
I purchased this 1991 Coupe Quattro in May 2005. It was in decent shape to start off with, but like all of the USDM versions, it was plagued by the hideous USDOT spec bumpers. There has been a fair quality partial respray of about 1/4 of the car. Also, the Speedlines had seen better days, and in a 15” diameter, they just seem way too small for the car. Unfortunately, the 4X108 bolt pattern leaves something to be desired with regard to the availability and choices of wheels.

Around this time, I also discovered the B4 hood swap option and decided that was the route I wanted to go to ‘update’ the look a bit. To my luck I found a European only salvage yard down in Orem, UT that just happened to have a pearl 90 with the parts ripe for the taking. The only problem was that one of yard guys must have pulled a part out of the bay only to set it on the top of the engine and then try to close the hood. Well, it left a little mound barely visible from the top of the hood. This actually wasn’t too bad I guess, because I was able to source all of the parts for the conversion for $75. Not bad considering this particular yard thinks that parts like used HVAC boxes should sell for $300. Yeah right. I wasn’t a huge fan of the stock grille either, so I sourced a Kamei mesh grill from a place north of the border.

Now I picked up some wheels, which were not my first choice, but IMO better than the stockers and the B4 front end. Then, like many of us have done to save some coin, I picked up the import vision lights and corners and had this thing looking pretty reasonable. I drove it around like this for about a year or so as it was my second car; my 1995 Nissan Pathfinder was doing primary duty. So now we are around November 2005 and I just purchased my first house. This is also a big part of the reason why I am now into my fourth or fifth year into this project. I decided it would be cool to completely remodel my house. The whole thing. All by myself. Including garage. It’s still in progress as I also work a few hours a week.

I will keep adding things here and there as there is quite a bit of catching up to do...

Last edited by Wheeljack on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:07 am, edited 33 times in total.

Profile Facebook 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:24 pm 
I post, therefore I am

Bout time you made a thread, does this mean that it is going under the knife soon? What is your plan? what engine, what management, how big of a turbo :)

3x '95 90 quattro - 83 URQ - 99 B5 A4 Avant - 82 coupe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:52 pm 

Hybrid_Hatch wrote:
Bout time you made a thread, does this mean that it is going under the knife soon? What is your plan? what engine, what management, how big of a turbo :)
Details to follow...I snuck this one out on my lunch break and I ran out of time... :-)

3B engine w/ an assortment of ABY parts

chipped 3B ecu: IA 3+

stock turbo...
:D

Last edited by Wheeljack on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Facebook 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:36 pm 
I post, therefore I am

Yes! Another UT MGer. Time for a get-together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:55 pm 
I post, therefore I am

Go UTAH! Cant wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:03 pm 

OK, back on track. What year is it again? Oh yeah…So somewhere around late spring of 2007, I think, the car was put up on blocks and hasn’t moved since. It was always my intention to put a 20VT into this thing, but during this time, the economy was booming and it was difficult to find a decent donor at a reasonable price. I would have taken either an early S car or a 91 200TQ as I had already picked up a 3B intake and exhaust manifold off audifans or somewhere. Also, keep in mind that the knowledge of the subject today is far greater than it was at the time and I may have done things differently in retrospect. That’s 20/20 hindsight for you. And it also means that I have two spare 3B intake manifolds (went with an ABY in the end) that I’m not sure what I’m going to do with. Hank, are you there? Oh, and a spare 3B exhaust manifold with wastegate.

Anyway, I came across a 1991 200TQ sedan down in Phoenix for $3K (gasp—not so great of a deal by today’s standards) so I flew down and drove it back up to SLC. It had a boost leak so it wasn’t living up to its potential, but with that in mind and knowing it was headed for my substantially lighter CQ; I was amped. I also figured that this would simplify things quite a bit as opposed to the home brew turbo route that was originally planned.

I spent the next few weeks getting to know the 20VT and sorting a few things out. The information pulled from Scott’s site SJMautotechnik was absolutely invaluable and an indispensible resource for anyone wanting to play around and learn about this motor (not to say the info isn’t out there; it is just not so nicely consolidated). Kudos there buddy for things like ‘The ABC’s of Running High Boost for the 20V’. They also take donations, which are well-deserved for the information provided. It should be noted that Quattro123.com also has a lot of good info on the 20VT. I picked up a set of Samco boost hoses and got a tune-up kit from Blauparts. The boost hoses made it on quickly, but the tune-up kit has been waiting for the transplant.

I was also regularly scouting the classifieds on this site and audifans to help bring my project along. I saw a post from gruppe5 (Malcom) for a chipped 3B ECU and harness and couldn’t pass it up. It was an IA Stage 3+ with the 2.5kPa transducer rated at I believe about 277 bhp. Well, it just so happened that I got the package on a rainy day and threw it into the 200 and the difference was substantial. The improvement of the throttle response was probably the most noticeable; let’s just say the AWD power slides were entertaining. The next day I parked the car inside the garage beside the CQ and began the disassembly. I was excited to get this thing into the coupe.

So this is where I was around the summer of 2007...

Profile Facebook 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:08 pm 

By this time, I had also acquired some other parts as well. I got a full set of Powerflex control arm bushings, H&R springs, and Bilstein strut inserts. These parts sat on my garage shelf for quite a few years, but have recently made it onto the CQ. Parts storage...

I picked up a nice red rear S2 bumper from a_cq (Petar) and ended up getting a Reiger RS2 replica from somewhere that I can’t remember now.

I got a set of the 993 duct/turn signal/fog light sets from eBay for pretty cheap.

Then I started going crazy with the offerings from 034. Here are some of the goodies that I bought around the fall of 2007…

Block Breather Hose (to replace that gooey mess of a thing below)

Rear Diff. Mount (this had to be modified a bit to work)
I had read about people cracking the mount because of the fit and it seems that it came down to them having to make it oversized to work in all cases knowing it is easier to remove material from the bushing than it is to add it if it isn't there. So I took a little bit from the boss diameter...

Last edited by Wheeljack on Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Facebook 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:09 pm 
I post, therefore I am

cbrydon wrote:
And it also means that I have two spare 3B intake manifolds (went with an ABY in the end) that I’m not sure what I’m going to do with. Hank, are you there? Oh, and a spare 3B exhaust manifold with wastegate.

Yes sir :)

Where are you at exactly in SLC?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:19 pm 
I post, therefore I am

Quote:
This actually wasn’t too bad I guess, because I was able to source all of the parts for the conversion for $75. Not bad considering this particular yard thinks that parts like used HVAC boxes should sell for $300. Yeah right. I wasn’t a huge fan of the stock grille either, so I sourced a Kamei mesh grill from a place north of the border.

My new shop is a block away from European only. They have a 200 20vt down there right now and it has "bad transmission" on the window.. SO I asked them how much they wanted for it. He looks something up on the computer and tells me 500 with a 75 dollar core. I reminded him that it was broken per the window, and he said, "Yeah, they are normally a grand."

That yard is unreal. I hate driving by it just because there is a lot of good stuff in there and it is virtually untouchable for poor folk like myself!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:16 am 

Quote:
Where are you at exactly in SLC?

I'm in Cottonwood Heights...Well my house/shop is there but I've been in South Lake Tahoe area for the past year for work...but I'm heading back at the end of the month for a winter of some light Utah Pow and some time spent with the car which has been pretty much nil since I left last fall...Shoot me a PM on manifolds...Maybe we can trade up for some of your service channel handywork :D

Quote:
That yard is unreal. I hate driving by it just because there is a lot of good stuff in there and it is virtually untouchable for poor folk like myself!!!

Yeah...I'm there with ya...I worked down near there a few years ago when my company was a very early stage start-up...We were in these storage garages right off of the freeway around the 800N exit and Industrial Park Dr...I just happened to come across it by chance one day...

Profile Facebook 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:29 am 

Like your camp chair! :thumbsup:

Where we going? Why are we in this handbasket?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:48 am 
I post, therefore I am

If you don't end up using your ABY airbox let me know, I could find it a good home ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:54 am 

jitsu303 wrote:
Like your camp chair! :thumbsup:

Ha...Yeah I've spent quite a bit of time up there...Mostly in Squamish BC as I used to climb quite a bit and of course the mtn biking and skiing/boarding in the area. I think that was from the tire store that seems to have everything!

Profile Facebook 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:55 am 

Hybrid_Hatch wrote:
If you don't end up using your ABY airbox let me know, I could find it a good home ;)

I'll keep that in mind...Not quite to that point yet :D

Profile Facebook 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:56 am 
I post, therefore I am

pm sent!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:25 pm 

Quote:
My new shop is a block away from European only. They have a 200 20vt down there right now and it has "bad transmission" on the window.. SO I asked them how much they wanted for it. He looks something up on the computer and tells me 500 with a 75 dollar core. I reminded him that it was broken per the window, and he said, "Yeah, they are normally a grand."

hmm...and to think that my 200 donor that I gave away still had a perfectly good tranny in it... :bashtard: ...live and learn...

Profile Facebook 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:39 pm 
I post, therefore I am

Yeah, Darin Adlard gave his 200q away with the torsen 016 in it too when he stoll the motor for his lago coupe in SLC... That is two good trannies. :bump:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:58 pm 

Wow, time flies when you’re…um…working too much. Somewhere around May-August 2009 I did the suspension and bushings. I was living in CA at the time, so it was just a weekend here and there when I was back in Utah.
The following finally made it onto the car...
    H&R springs
    Bilstein Sports
    034 Solid subframe bushings
    034 Street Density Strut Mounts
    Powerflex Control Arm Bushings
...but there are still some items that I didn't get to...
    Ball joints
    CV boots
    TREs

Everyone knows how fun removing old bushings can be…It’s one of those things that, for me at least, took a while to get through the first couple (due to poor approach), but by the last one, it was only taking about 1-2 minutes to get them out. The hole saw drill bit makes quick work of removing the interior sleeve, and allows the cold chisel or similar to bang out the outer sleeve.

I tried the homemade tools with metal pipe fittings, but they could not break the sleeve free before they themselves broke free. I also partially burned through a few, but that was also not that effective, and highly unpleasant.

Then once everything was out, it was a nice opportunity to clean things up a slap on a fresh coat of paint. The subframes, control arms, and strut housing were all painted black.

I also drilled a small hole on the bottom of my strut housing as this seemed to be a good idea with the inverted strut design. There has been some issue with water getting in and not getting out.

By August of last year, I had everything pretty much ready to go back on. Here are the assembled struts ready to go in.

I made sure everything was nice and clean before going back in. Did I mention I don’t like to work on dirty stuff. Unfortunately, I have spent a lot of days cleaning parts. Sitting in the yard, degreasing and scrubbing.

Also around this time, I pulled apart a manual climate box that I sourced from Force 5. I yanked out the evaporator, installed a new heater core and replaced gasket. I also removed all of the old material from the flaps and put new foam on them. The last thing was to make a block off plate for where the AC lines entered the box for the evaporator. It is pretty much ready to go back in the car, but it is currently sitting under the car while the dash is on top of the car.

Sometime last year I also picked up these parts from GAP to do front and rear strut braces. I just need to mock them up with the bars for location, prep and weld them in.

I have been back in Utah since November and have made some good progress on the car over the past 6 months or so, at least for me as I still have to split time between the car project and house remodeling projects. But I just finished the laundry room (with a nice BIG utility sink for washing…um…oh nevermind.

I picked up an STR manifold for $120 shipped (I mean how can you pass that up), and I thought I would try to work it into the engine build-up. I have 2 3B manifolds too, but didn’t like the idea of using them. I’ll probably just try to sell them at some point. Here it is as it arrived; not too bad of a piece, but it did require some work and manipulation to fit.

First, the wastegate didn’t clear but really wasn’t a surprise as it was previously documented with a similar modification. I also had to dremel a fair amount of casting flash inside the manifold. There were some pretty big ‘flakes’ in there, but went away easily.

The tapped holes for turbo mounting were some standard like 3/8-24, which actually taps to M10 pretty nicely. The bigger issue was with the wastegate mounting. Aside from the flange interference shown above, The hole pattern was off a little and the studs were probably about 2-3 deg from perpendicular. Enlarging the holes on the wastegate solved the one problem and tightening it down seemed to straighten things out well enough.

There is still a lot for me to catch up on, so I’ll try not to wait 6 months for the next update…

Profile Facebook 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:08 pm 
I post, therefore I am

nice, if you need a hand with things, feel free to ask. there are quite a few of us geekers in the area... we all seem to be willing to turn a wrench for someone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:18 pm 

More catching up…this time with some engine building…

Let’s get to the pics…

The bay has been mostly cleaned up. I still need to get in there and do some more cleanup around the rack and tranny tunnel. Those were the last things to come out and I haven’t cleaned the bay for a few years, lol.

I also had my rack sent back to Jorgen for a rebuilt unit. I had considered doing it myself, but I’ve got to draw lines somewhere. It was kind of nice that I didn’t have to clean it either, and it came freshly painted, even if it is a crappy paint job (no primer, probably not prepped great), but as long as it doesn’t leak and does its job, that’s all I was paying for.

Just for reference, this oil pan is a good indication of the ‘protective coating’ that the 7A was under. The 3B was much cleaner, but not so well preserved in the lack of 1/4in grease layer.

I stripped down the both the 3B and the 7A engines so I could kind of cherry pick things that were interchangeable and also figuring that the parts that don’t make it into the first engine, may end up being used for a subsequent built motor. The block was painted with grey engine enamel. Hopefully it will show the leaks, or hopefully the lack thereof better.

I installed ARP head studs and Reinz MLS headgasket...

I wanted to mock up the motor and accessories because I knew that there would be issues with getting everything to play nicely together. It is a combination of 3B 200TQ, ABY S2, and 7A CQ, so there is going to be some fitment issues. I’ve left the 3B head as it was for this stage. No cracks around plug holes. I may run 7A exhaust cam at a later date.

The first issue was a result of the ABY intake manifold being used with a distributor engine like the 3B. The ABY was direct fire and did not have a distributor. At first I didn’t think it was going to work and did a little research here and s2forum and found that it was indeed an issue, but one I hadn’t come across or considered. Where is hybrid_hatch when you need him to keep you straight?

So I’m also using the phenolic spacer and 2nd gasket that adds about .40” of offset. This turns out to be just enough.

Here you can see the alignment problem between the ABY intake and 3B pressure pipe. This is compounded by the phenolic spacer. I plan on fabbing up an intake tube out of 2.5” aluminum to go from the throttle to the crossmember link pipe.

Around this time I was looking through all of my stock hoses and realizing I didn’t want to use many them in their condition and really didn’t want to clean any of them. I will likely have to use some and pieces of some but this box of snakes should get the job mostly taken care of. Thanks 034!

One other thing that I forgot to mention above about fitting the STR manifold was the tight clearance for the oil supply line and the log on the manifold. I was able to tweak the hardline and get about 1/2in of clearance. Hopefully that is enough and I may put a little ‘shield’ that clips on the hose to block the heat. Things are looking nice and clean.

I had to take the wastegate completely apart to enlarge the mounting holes. I tried drilling them by hand at first but after going through a few drill bits, it looked like the milling machine was required to finish the job. It made easy work of it. So while it was all apart, I cleaned it up and explored around a bit. I installed the 034 1.9bar spring that’s been sitting around for a few years. It is the shorter one on the right in the picture. Stock 3B is on the left

With the turbo and wastegate finally able to be mounted, I test fit the 034 3” downpipe. I have the full 3” system and will need to v band a race catalyst in there. Notice: a few welding tasks identified thus far, and I am a poor welder. The downpipe looks good but we’ll really have to see when its all in the car and there is a bit more to interfere with.

Then, here is where the engine currently sits. I am trying to work through everything I can on the stand and will then mount up the Fidanza aluminum flywheel and Spec Stage 3 clutch. I will be putting the engine and tranny back in together with as much mounted to the engine as possible.

I am now trying to consolidate a few of my lists into one that I can work off of, but it is coming along slowly.

Last edited by Wheeljack on Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Facebook 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:20 pm 

Hybrid_Hatch wrote:
nice, if you need a hand with things, feel free to ask. there are quite a few of us geekers in the area... we all seem to be willing to turn a wrench for someone else.

Thanks for the offer, Dave. I am usually so far from ever being able to 'schedule' anything, it is hard to set up a help session. I will definitely hit you up for help when I run into issues, which I'm sure I'll be running into as it gets closer.

I just messed up a pintle cap on one of my 3B injectors, so if you have one of those, that would be quite helpful? Then the caps with the rebuild kit isn't the same size, its too deep and doesn't work. I should have just replaced the seals, as that was all I was after anyway.

Profile Facebook 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:25 pm 
I post, therefore I am

are they the same as aan injectors? if so i might have some spares.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:32 pm 

Hybrid_Hatch wrote:
are they the same as aan injectors? if so i might have some spares.

um, not sure...let me check etka and see if I can find out...

EDIT

AAN:
034 906 031 B

3B:
034 906 031

doesn't look the same, but maybe interchangeable. I definitely wouldn't want to mix and match though...

Profile Facebook 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:46 am 
I post, therefore I am

damn, thats some major page 1 progress!!! :woowoo:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007101555124

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:44 am 
I post, therefore I am

Yeah, looks like you are doing a GREAT job with this :)

'94 530i (baby V8) daily beater... maybe rear-mount turbo soon ;)

Profile Facebook 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

Jump to:  

Information