motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 596 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Dean's "Project: Mayhem" - Coupe Quattro 20Vt

Post subject: Re: Dean's
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:18 am 
mach 2 with my hair on fire

Wow. CF is always cool, love seeing how it happens.

Love the in progress updates, keep 'em coming!

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
|| 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4 #bertancummins
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// #becauseracecar

|| Spare parts for sale

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:25 pm 
I sprinkle rubber on my Cherios

Dean, thanks again. Can't thank you enough man! Looking forward to more updates on her. Hopefully I can swing by when my Coupes all back together.

Post subject: Re: Dean's "Project: Mayhem" - Coupe Quattro 20Vt
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:55 am 

Well after lots of trial, error (due to clearance, support/rigidity, and not quite being perfect enough), I've finalized and built the upper and lower halves of my oil cooler brackets.
The initial setup was weak, so I remade it with support in mind, calculated my triangles, angles, and bends and made it a few times over until perfect.
I also discovered that any 8AN hose ends with a radius bend were going to take up a lot and hit the upper cross member, so ordered Setrab's banjo setup and it works out marvelously.
So the pieces are at the powdercoater (pictures to be in a following post) and the hoses have been ordered from Fragola so I have crimp rather than traditional thread style AN lines to something as critical as the oil cooler.
Additionally and while working through this oil cooler debacle, I realized that the serpentine belt I got for my setup was too short and left the spring tensioner at its max position. So I purchased a longer belt, installed it, and this will allow the tensioner to work correctly. For anyone interested, here's the belt and I scribbled on the sleeve it's normal application in case this isn't the brand you'd like to use.

90' CQ - "Project: Mayhem" / 00' Jetta TDI - "Peach" / 09' Tacoma DCSB - "Fish Taco" / & All Those Loved and Passed On

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:45 am 

Well the custom oil lines came in yesterday! Fragola performance, with an account, makes these to order, you just give them a length, choose the ends, chose the hose type (in my case, black coated stainless steel), and the end "clocking".
Fingers crossed the powdercoater will ring the tele with the news that the oil cooler bracket pieces are in fresh black black powdercoat Monday.

90' CQ - "Project: Mayhem" / 00' Jetta TDI - "Peach" / 09' Tacoma DCSB - "Fish Taco" / & All Those Loved and Passed On

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:53 pm 

Freshly back from K&S Powdercoating where the brackets and nuts received a 60-80% black coating (not so shiny)!

Added rubber washers to the top mounting points (at upper radiator support/cross member) with a bit of spray adhesive (so I'm not dropping them on install) and foam strips on the bottom half, both will soak up some vibration and pad the cooler.

Put what I had together; brackets, cooler fittings, nuts and bolts, and hoses.
Install into the car later in the week and once I tidy up other work that this will restrict access too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:05 am 

Tried to take some time to work on the car this week prior to slicing off a couple fingers in a different project (which will impede progress here for the next few weeks), but was able to get a few things done.
Swapped out the valve cover assembly for the one I TIG welded AN nipples on, this is for the crank case pressure and catch can setup.
Reinstalled the factory air conditioning hard lines, the one outside the passenger fender (1990 specific and keeps engine bay tidy) and the line that runs across the firewall to the ac condenser. Obviously I had to make sure they were all nice nice so used scotchbrite in order of course to fine, then polished, and obviously replaces the air conditioning o-rings.
I installed a combination of rubber grommets and brass bushings I had ordered from McMaster Carr to act as mounts in the Wagner tuning intercooler. Wagner stated when I called looking for these that you should re-use the old mounts because it's an upgrade for an RS2, well... would've helped to have had one in the first place, but we all know Coupe Quattro weren't fortunate enough to receive a turbo engine in the USA.
I also installed the oil cooler and screwed around with installing the distributor (my cam position reference for VEMS) so I can make the vacuum hard lines. I discovered that I'll have to re-route and remake a few fuel lines with the distributor in the way, but that's not the end of the world. But I started laying out and bending the vacuum lines.
Maybe someday I'll be able to wire this thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:49 am 

Are you running stainless tubing for your vac lines?

I've wanted to do that for ages. Definitely vac and coolant, where possible. Should tidy up the bay nicely.

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
|| 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4 #bertancummins
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// #becauseracecar

|| Spare parts for sale

Post subject: Dean's "Project: Mayhem" - Coupe Quattro 20Vt
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:35 am 

PRY4SNO wrote:
Are you running stainless tubing for your vac lines?

I've wanted to do that for ages. Definitely vac and coolant, where possible. Should tidy up the bay nicely.

I've used stainless for fuel, coolant, and oil, however the vacuum is going to be aluminum.

I am also only hard lining those systems that stay with the engine or stay with the chassis as you together they flax differently.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:23 pm 
Stuck in first

Dan McBoost wrote:
stunning stuff man.

:woowoo: :o

dean16v wrote:
Picked up the new door sills from RG Autobody today.
I had the owner, an old boss, shoot some clearcoat over the custom graphic that D-Bo from DB Graphics (DBodesign.com) hooked me up with.
The devil is in the detail. A little S-Line style with the project name in a brushed stainless vinyl

would love to have CF door sills on my Avant .... echh :(

Fbatwork wrote:
Oh and in your spare time put me down for a set of CF rain trays!

CF rain trays ? can't find anything about them on this thread

ABH/AHC hybrid + VEMS + 6-speed manual DGV gearbox & Short Shifter + KW Coilover Variant 1 + Camber/Caster adjustment system + front brakes 345x30mm + rear 311x22mm + S8D2 vacuum for brakes + ProLine PXI J8R18 wheels + Nappa leather sport seats with velour + Alpine IVA-W505 with PXA-H100 IMPRINT Audio Processor & KTX-H100 Tuning Kit + KCE-350BT Bluetooth hands-free + 150A alternator + FIA homologated power disconnector + some Carbon Fibre & Carbon Fiber Fabric mods.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:36 pm 

gedis008 wrote:
CF rain trays ? can't find anything about them on this thread

Had I not cut two fingers off last week, I'd be further along making them. However no one understands the cost, nor wants to pay, for true carbon fibre bits so they'll most likely be one off pieces as the fan shroud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:13 am 
Stuck in first

two fingers of ? :o mamamya !!!!

P.S> didn't see anywhere the prices for your CF bits ... did you post them somewhere ?
how looks those CF rain trays ? would be possible to see photo as I don't even understand what a part it is :oops:
and by the way,,,, what is the width of your cooling radiator ?

ABH/AHC hybrid + VEMS + 6-speed manual DGV gearbox & Short Shifter + KW Coilover Variant 1 + Camber/Caster adjustment system + front brakes 345x30mm + rear 311x22mm + S8D2 vacuum for brakes + ProLine PXI J8R18 wheels + Nappa leather sport seats with velour + Alpine IVA-W505 with PXA-H100 IMPRINT Audio Processor & KTX-H100 Tuning Kit + KCE-350BT Bluetooth hands-free + 150A alternator + FIA homologated power disconnector + some Carbon Fibre & Carbon Fiber Fabric mods.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:18 am 

gedis008 wrote:
two fingers of ? :o mamamya !!!!

P.S> didn't see anywhere the prices for your CF bits ... did you post them somewhere ?
how looks those CF rain trays ? would be possible to see photo as I don't even understand what a part it is :oops:
and by the way,,,, what is the width of your cooling radiator ?

Yes, two...
I had priced things a long while ago and everyone was interested until it was time to invest, making of the mold, setup, labor, and initial costs are very high.
All pieces are posted as they come about.
The radiator is a thick heavy duty unit made by Ron Davis for 034 Motorsport. It's thickness poses difficulties with the fan and air con

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:13 pm 

Dude, you always have the best injuries! lol

Law 42 • Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:16 pm 

Looking good - bracket looks great.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:47 pm 
Stuck in first

... I still don't understand which part is called 'rain tray' .... :tard:
Is that one which goes under the bonnet where is cabin air filter, wipers, fuse box :?
https://www.google.com/search?q=Audi+ra ... BnwQsxgIKQ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:14 am 

gedis008 wrote:
... I still don't understand which part is called 'rain tray' .... :tard:
Is that one which goes under the bonnet where is cabin air filter, wipers, fuse box :?
https://www.google.com/search?q=Audi+ra ... BnwQsxgIKQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:05 pm 
Stuck in first

dean16v wrote:
Yes, two...

Man, I saw when you first mentioned it, but I thought it might have been some sort of inside joke I wasn't getting since nobody said anything. That would slow just about anyone down for awhile, I think.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:54 am 

So the fingers are pretty well healed up, taking it easy and keeping them wrapped, but easing back into working hard.

Installed the distributor that will be used for a camshaft position reference only to discover that there is a conflict with the stainless fuel lines I made. This said, I removed the two that were on there, planned it out, and bent up the new ones.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:31 pm 

Will this thing be done before I leave NY next year! I NEED to see it running and driving before I go back down south

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:43 am 
Redline?

Jack your build is beyond anything I've ever seen! You're project is a work of art! Love your dedication and your drive. Can't wait to see the finished product! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:37 am 

I meant to comment on this thread/build a while back, but my reply was lost and I was too lazy to re-type it. In short, the car is awesome and I totally love it. The fingers are disgusting however. Hope they've healed up.

1990 CQ 3b

Post subject: Dean's "Project: Mayhem" - Coupe Quattro 20Vt
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:44 am 

I don’t know if there’s anyone still out there, if people even use forums now that the YouTubez and Social Medias have taken over, or if my lack of progress lost interest, but... I’m back!
https://media.tenor.com/images/1e86f3c8 ... /tenor.gif

Needless to say, 2018 was a difficult year, just straight sucked and all year all I kept wanting was just time to work on Mayhem. So, Christmas Day, a day I had off from work, I dug her back out and tried to see where I had left off.

I must admit, that for the first time ever, life had won. I can take anything g apart and figure out how it goes together, take a break, come back, and get back to it, but this time... yeah. So, I peeled back some layers of the onion so to speak and have sincerely tried to knuckle back down to it.

Along with getting parts and material orders taken care of (tube, fittings, carbon fibre sheet, fibreglass, aluminum tube, silicone couplings, AN fittings, etc.), I am focusing on the passenger side of the engine, plumbing, and getting all that in there so I can get to wiring, all that with a side of black carpet cleaning, salvaging/patching some under carpet jute/padding.

I had started putting together the hard vacuum lines from the intake manifold and from the wastegate to the N75, but neglected to check radiator shield clearance and that’s not going to work. Love wasting time, but I wasn’t too satisfied with it anyways.
From there I moved into oil and water lines for the turbo. Aiming for that factory look of a hard line with a flex/dampening section of say a urS or a Sport Quattro.Image

Last edited by dean16v on Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:11 am 

While working in and around the turbo, I figure I have to get to the intake. I had made a mold and laid up a carbon fibre tube in one piece (pain in the ass) and although the shape and flow are nice, the bend into the turbo inlet had some headlight interference and to be frank, it’s going to suck installing it as one piece the first time, let alone for future service.

So onto more modification of the original design. Some cardboard transformed into a particle board skeleton with foam and body filler, then a few tests, reshaping, then this time laid it up as two halves that will be glued together before being wrapped in another layer of two of fibre. And no, this is not the final final shape (I understand there’s restriction in the 3-1/2” to 4” transition (4” tube is HUGE and hides too much of my engine bay details), but I will also include fittings for crank case or catch can vacuum, turbo recirc (diverter valve, and boost control solenoid (N75)return Image

I also templated the cars cluster (using pieces to get perfect dash fitment and mounting), transferred that to the masking tape wrapped carbon fibre sheet and cut out the cluster insert. The sheet will be the front panel with the cluster housing sandwiching high density foam fibreglass core material with stainless bolts, then the STACK unit placed in the center. Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:27 am 
I post, therefore I am

I'm gald to see your back at it. I know all too well how life can kick your ass. Hopefully things are coming together.

I've always been in awe of the parts you come up with. Looking forward to more coming to light.

Dallastown, PA
1991 Audi 80 quattro (10vt project)
1991 Audi Coupe Quattro (my first 20v)
2007 Mitsubishi Raider(Dakota in disguise)
2019 Chevy Cruse Hatchback RS (wife's new ride)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:55 am 
kickin' tires'n lightin fires

DE80q wrote:
I'm gald to see your back at it.

:stupid:

Facebook is good for quick questions and responses, but nothing beats the forums for documenting projects and learning from others, IMO. It seems as though MG and TPP have had an uptick in activity lately.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 596 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

Jump to:  

Information