Automobiles Forum banner

Audi 4000 Quattro Rally Car

99K views 154 replies 34 participants last post by  kendalwoolf 
#1 ·
We started our build a few years ago, building the car to Rally America spec.
The car was a parts car but it was just right for building a stage rally car.
Here it is when I bought it.

Then the tear-down started.

Seat Test Fitting

Once the cage was done and inspected it was time for paint

Starting the strips

The strips are done

A little extra

The car arrived painted with 3 weeks before the rally and no engine, brakes or wiring.

Thanks to 034 and their engine management system, the car started on the 3rd try after an increase to the main fueling parameter.
We used the IIb engine management system, the engine is a 10V Normally Aspirated 2.2L 4000 quattro engine, with a 272 cam from Techtronics tuning, along with an adjustable cam gear, and high compression Wossner flat top pistons. The engine is completely balanced. The clutch is a Spec 3+ and the flywheel is a lightened 034 flywheel.

After 2 and a half weeks We were loaded up and going to the rally.

See less See more
#2 ·
We ran our first rally in Feb. the 100 Acre Wood rally in Salem MO.
Our goal was to finish and we did that.
Had to overcome a strut that was falling off after the first 3 stages and a CV joint that fell off on the transit to the final 3 stages, that cost us some penalty time but did not stop us from finishing.

Here are some shots of the car at the rally

The engine attracted a large crowd

I have also posted this on SpecialStage if you want to follow the link:
http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?44454-1985-Audi-4000-Quattro-Rally-Car-Build

and I have a few other pictures on my picasa page
https://picasaweb.google.com/116740220905306898456/Audi4000QuattroRallyCar#

I hope you have enjoyed it, I will try to update from time to time and give more detailed pictures of the interior and engine.

Once again a big thanks to 034 for the great products that kept our Old Audi on the road.

Kendal

#5 ·
psychorallyfreak said:
Are there any other events you're planning on attending? Sweet build.
We plan to run the Perryville Farm and Forest Rally in Perryville Missouri, it runs towards the end of October.
We would also like to run some rallycross events over the summer, just as a way to fine tune the car.
We would run more events but there are not many close enough to us. If the Paris Rally in Texas was still going we would run that event as well.
I am glad you like it.

#7 ·
Car looks awesome what size tires are you running and spring setup?

#9 ·
Welcome! Dig the car, and the signature! :cool:

#10 ·
Twintowers said:
We are running either 185 or 195 14" tires. The ones on the car were all we could find in 14" and heavy ply before the rally.
We are looking for Used or New 14" rally tires if anyone has some send me a personal message.

Springs are cut down Cadillac springs. Front springs NCP 2773212. Rear springs NCP 2773204.
The front springs were a little stiff on the first rally but have been cut down and are now better, but we will upgrade to real suspension once funds get build back up.

A4V8swap: Thanks, we could not build an Audi Rally car without the signature paint scheme, it is timeless.

PRA4WX: Thanks. Nice Calvin quote.

#11 ·
kendalwoolf said:
Twintowers said:
The front springs were a little stiff on the first rally but have been cut down and are now better,
cutting down springs makes them stiffer. maybe you mean they were too tall and cut them down and now they work better?

#12 ·
pkw said:
kendalwoolf said:
Twintowers said:
The front springs were a little stiff on the first rally but have been cut down and are now better,
cutting down springs makes them stiffer. maybe you mean they were too tall and cut them down and now they work better?
Your correct they were too long and the preload was very high, so cutting them down made them "softer". The struts can now move instead of being stuck at the top, Much better

#13 ·
I love the 4000! I like to see too that you are starting with an NA 10v...lots of guys try to start with too much power and end up in a tree...

This was my rally ride for quite a while:

#14 ·
rallynz said:
I love the 4000! I like to see too that you are starting with an NA 10v...lots of guys try to start with too much power and end up in a tree...

This was my rally ride for quite a while:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks,
The NA 10v is enough power for us, with the cam, high compression/flat top pistons and the 034 fuel system we still have some more power we can get out of the engine, plus if we go turbo we have to run the open class.

Very nice video, we hope to get our speed up as we run more events and stay out of the trees.
Here is a video of us from the 100AW rally

#16 ·
Some updates to the rally car.
Installed rally tires and wired up and installed our rally computer.

Getting ready for the Perryville Rally.

#17 ·
I'm in love.

Awesome, just awesome.

#18 ·
Dan McBoost said:
I'm in love.

Awesome, just awesome.
Glad you like it.
We were going for a classic look and I think we achieved it.
Check out this YouTube video of the 1983 Mintex Rally at the 55sec mark, we replicated this Audi 80/4000 almost exactly.

#19 ·
2013 Perryville Rally Update.

We finished the rally 14th overall and 7th in class.
This was a very fun rally. We only had one incident with two bad spark plugs on the first 4 stages, it caused us to be down on power for those stages but new plugs fixed us up for the final 4 stages.
We are getting faster and are looking forward to 100AW and Perryville next year.
Enjoy the photos and videos.

More photos at my picasa site:
https://picasaweb.google.com/kendal...onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#21 ·
2014 100 Acre Wood Rally Update:

Car ran great both days, Finished 9th in class both days.
19th overall at Tresspassers Wil regional
15th overall at 100 Acre Wood regional
Still making small adjustments to the car. We need to get the lights adjusted for the night stages.
Also talked with Tim O'Neil about setting up the car, He really enjoyed the car and suggested that we change noting about the car.
We are going to do some testing with the differentials locked and see how that performs, Tim said that is how they run the Audi rally cars at the rally school.
Enjoy the pictures and the videos.

The 3rd video has our one spin of the rally when a rear ball joint came loose and caused a little rear-wheel-steering. We stopped short of the large log and tree, that could have been the end of the rally for us, thankfully it was not.

#22 ·
A few weeks ago we took the rally car out for some testing with the differentials locked.
Car was much more predictable and stable.
Also weighted the car:
Total Weight race ready with 2 gallons of gas and no driver or co-driver 2910 lbs
Weight on Front Axle: 1600 lbs 55% front
Weight on Rear Axle: 1310 lbs 45% rear
Not bad weight distribution, it helps that we carry 2 spares, the battery and tools in the trunk.

#24 ·
Love it. The next car I build (already have it and the engine) will be painted like yours with the classic livery but I will use brown instead of black, and the bumpers will be all white. It will be much more of a road car than yours since there aren't any stage rally's around here. But it will have a k24 boosted mc1 with a little bit of work done to it.

What suspension do you have? pics?

#26 ·
I don't consider anything 10+ hours away from me to be "around here". All those ones you listed are not even in my state, add to that the fact that I don't have a trailer or tow rig making an attempt to drive a 28 year old audi there, race it, and then hope I can drive it home is pretty far from what reality would deal me lol.

EDIT: I did some searching and found that rally America does one event in Clearlake which is only about 155 miles from me. Everything else is 600 miles or more away :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.